RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

CptnDarkness

Nov 19, 2011, 10:21 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Advice from frequent-fliers with racks who've stacked
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have many acents/years worth of experience with nut-stacks. Recently did a 5.10 climb with an offwidth and ran out of gear near the top where the crack narrowed. Found a horizontal and managed to stack a DMM #10 Wallnut and a #2 Tricam. My question is has anyone had success with such an arrangement for holding a lead fall? Any suggestions on keeping tension or better setup for a tricam stack with nuts? Partner wiggled the arrangement while tugging and it came right out. Suspect the tricam came unlodged and I was surprised because it supported a good yank during setting. I utilized the hollow portion of the Wallnut to pin the pointy end of the Tricam. Tapers opposed as in typical stacking with two nuts. Obviously I would have used other gear if I could have, so please don't post such advice. I'd like to hear how you've stacked Tricams with one or more nuts/hexes and your degree of success in either aid or free-climbing falls. This kind of creativity isn't covered in an owner's manual; but, could save your hide!

ZeroContent

Nov 19, 2011, 10:33 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CptnDarkness] Advice from frequent-fliers with racks who've stacked [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This picture definitely shows a good way to do a nut stack, they're linked together as well as if fallen on you'll get an expanding action like a Ball Nut.

gunkiemike

Nov 19, 2011, 2:25 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CptnDarkness] Advice from frequent-fliers with racks who've stacked [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I once stacked two Tricams together (rail sides together) just for fun. I think it was brown & red. It held body weight but I didn't fall on it.

NorCaNomad

Dec 29, 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is an older guy I climbed with who has some of his older hexes that are slinged on cord to have 2 to a cord, so that stacking is ultra convenient. Cool little trick I want to try if I can get some cheep hexes meant to be slung with cord.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$1.35 (10% off)
$14.36 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook