Post #1 of 8 (1123 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy
Report this Post

veganclimber

Nov 20, 2011, 2:11 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Stop Online Piracy Act - The US Goverment just doesent get it... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the wiki page that describes the act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...op_Online_Piracy_Act

I really hope they kill this thing completely, but I'm not hopeful.

USnavy

Nov 20, 2011, 3:02 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] Stop Online Piracy Act - The US Goverment just doesent get it... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well in the end it wont matter anyway. The only people this will effect are the 13 year old kids downloading pirated music. Everyone else will know to just use a proxy server or surf by IP address instead of DNS, and the whole bill will have been a wasted effort. It will have killed jobs and violated every American's rights, all for nothing. It will be nothing but a minor inconvenience for those wishing to visit the blacklisted sites.

guangzhou

Nov 20, 2011, 5:10 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Stop Online Piracy Act - The US Goverment just doesent get it... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure this Bill is the best approach, but I'm in favor of finding ways to procedure those who break or violate copyrights 100%.

One aspect of the Bill I like is that the government would have the power to make online payment companies like paypal, stop working with websites that sale copyrighted material illegally. I also like that search engine would have to remove those sites from search results.

I agree, people will find ways to make it harder to be caught, so we need stiffer penalty when people are caught. I do believe the U.S., and other countries need to have a way to investigate and prosecute online pirates. Criminal have been around a long time, being stagnant and ignoring them will make the matter worse, not disappear.

As for you unemployment, if we don't protect intellectual property rights, and fight piracy too, how many more people do you think will lose jobs when companies and individuals decide it's no longer worth their time or effort to create, manufacture, and distribute something new. When Hollywood decides to no longer make money because pirates are copying the material so fast they don't even break even on production, do you think they will keep all their workers.

As for Proxy servers, I do agree, just about 15 year old can figure out how to connect, but what I don't know is whether or not the technology is going to make hiding via a proxy more and more obsolete. Something so simple to do, I just wonder if the system isn't already in place at a higher level, like National Security maybe.

jt512

Nov 20, 2011, 7:30 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
surf by IP address instead of DNS

What does that mean?

petsfed

Nov 20, 2011, 8:17 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Stop Online Piracy Act - The US Goverment just doesent get it... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that something needs to be done about piracy.

I don't think many people mind the approach to ending piracy. Its that this law is much, MUCH too broad, and will end up stifling a lot of clearly non-infringing speech. Consider the website that gives a scathing movie review. Does it have screen-shots, or clips from the movie? Did the reviewer explicitly acquire the rights to those shots or clips? No? The plaintiff sends complaints to the reviewer's revenue stream, gets it taken down, defendant is denied the means to dispute it without entering into a costly court battle. Even if defendant eventually wins, the review (and all of that ad revenue) is out of the public eye the whole time.

That's one possibility. Keep in mind that in their "enforcement" approaches, RIAA has attempted to sue people for sharing free music (that is to say, music that the artist specifically released to be distributed free of charge), attempted to sue people incapable of sharing music (e.g. Grandma who never owned a computer), or music that's sold by a publisher who does not belong to the RIAA. One of the major organizations pushing this law has shown, time and again, that "acting in good faith" means "doing whatever I can get away with" to them.

For what its worth, I think hiding behind a proxy is not going to be terribly effective if the offended party can get a warrant for necessary log searches, but since that requires providing good evidence of actual, intentional, malicious, and damaging infringement, it will remain a good way to protect yourself from the chilling effects of this law. Why IP proxies should be necessary just to express yourself on the internet is a question for another time.

USnavy

Nov 21, 2011, 2:08 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Stop Online Piracy Act - The US Goverment just doesent get it... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
USnavy wrote:

What does that mean?
I assume you know what DNS is and how it works? Well this bill, as I understand it, requires DNS directory's to redirect requests for an illegal site to an erroneous IP address, one that would display a "this page is blocked" type webpage. So when you type in piratebay.org, DNS servers redirect you to a DoJ website. But you can still visit one of these blocked websites if you simply know the server's IP address. If you do all you have to do is enter the IP address into your browser and you cut out the DNS translating portion of the browsing, thus surfing by IP.

So you could visit eBay by going to www.ebay.com or directly by entering http://66.135.205.13/ in your browser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...op_Online_Piracy_Act

DNS servers and security

Domain Name System (DNS) servers translate browser requests for domain names into the IP address assigned to that computer or network. Most often compared to a phone directory, which does describe its behaviour as seen from a browser, DNS uses a hierarchical system of zones and authoritative and non-authoritative servers to keep track of changes to the name assignments. The root zone lists only the authoritative servers for the top-level domains, for example. The authoritative server for .com domains does not know about .co.ok domains, and so on.

Most web traffic is handled by the thousands of non-authoritative servers which may not list the domain requested but can refer requests to another server. The bill requires these servers to stop referring requests for domains found infringing to their assigned IP addresses. Operation In Our Sites, a current DoJ program, redirects web requests to a warning page. In Cuba, an error message appears: "This programme will close down in a few seconds for state security reasons, according to Reporters Without Borders.[37] The Chinese DNS filters simply drop the request, making it look like the site is offline or out of business.

Although most people find domain names easier to remember than IP addresses, removing a website from the DNS system does not prevent anyone from reaching it. Users that know the site's IP address can subsitute that for the domain name. Several groups like Citizen Lab have have developed web proxies to circumvent web filters in China, Belarus and Myanmar and other countries where the internet is currently censored.

House cybersecurity subcommittee chairman Dan Lungren told Politico's Morning Tech that he had "very serious concerns" about SOPA's impact on the Internet security protocol, DNSSEC, adding "we don't have enough information, and if this is a serious problem as was suggested by some of the technical experts that got in touch with me, we have to address it. I can't afford to let that go by without dealing with it."

jt512

Nov 21, 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #8 of 8 (986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
jt512 wrote:
USnavy wrote:

What does that mean?
[T]his bill, as I understand it, requires DNS directory's to redirect requests for an illegal site to an erroneous IP address, one that would display a "this page is blocked" type webpage.

I see. I didn't realize that you were referring to provisions of the bill.

Jay

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook