Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Slacklining:
line locker for highline/longline
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

 


egur84


Nov 24, 2011, 11:22 AM
Post #1 of 6 (2075 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 18, 2009
Posts: 6

line locker for highline/longline
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi
what do u think about using an atc as a line locker
for highlines or longlines
Attachments: IMG_08481.gif (121 KB)


areyoumydude


Nov 28, 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1975 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 27, 2003
Posts: 1971

Re: [egur84] line locker for highline/longline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

egur84 wrote:
hi
what do u think about using an atc as a line locker
for highlines or longlines

[image]

I think that it's a bad idea. Why wouldn't you just do it the normal way?


USnavy


Feb 29, 2012, 6:32 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2650

Re: [areyoumydude] line locker for highline/longline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

And what is the normal way? Just use a frost knot or sewn loop? Linelocks are no doubt completely bomber, just as secure as any webbing knot. But linelockers seem to come with the advantage that they do not decrease the strength of the webbing like a knot would (although thats still theory until someone tests it). I think his idea is solid, its simple and bomber. I doubt that ATC is going to fail. So whats the problem with his idea?


areyoumydude


Feb 29, 2012, 9:47 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1647 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 27, 2003
Posts: 1971

Re: [USnavy] line locker for highline/longline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
And what is the normal way? Just use a frost knot or sewn loop? Linelocks are no doubt completely bomber, just as secure as any webbing knot. But linelockers seem to come with the advantage that they do not decrease the strength of the webbing like a knot would (although thats still theory until someone tests it). I think his idea is solid, its simple and bomber. I doubt that ATC is going to fail. So whats the problem with his idea?

Linelockers are bomber and have been tested. The normal way is to wrap the webbing around a 1/2 inch rap ring. Unlike a round rap ring, the ATC has sharp angles, putting more stress on a smaller area of the webbing in the linelocker.


USnavy


Mar 6, 2012, 2:21 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1577 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2650

Re: [areyoumydude] line locker for highline/longline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
USnavy wrote:
And what is the normal way? Just use a frost knot or sewn loop? Linelocks are no doubt completely bomber, just as secure as any webbing knot. But linelockers seem to come with the advantage that they do not decrease the strength of the webbing like a knot would (although thats still theory until someone tests it). I think his idea is solid, its simple and bomber. I doubt that ATC is going to fail. So whats the problem with his idea?

Linelockers are bomber and have been tested. The normal way is to wrap the webbing around a 1/2 inch rap ring. Unlike a round rap ring, the ATC has sharp angles, putting more stress on a smaller area of the webbing in the linelocker.
I understand your point, webbing really does not like sharp edges. However take a quick look at the picture he posted. Look at the load strand. You will notice that the load strand connects straight to the biner. It does not really even come into contact with the ATC much until after it passes around the biner. My theory is that the friction of the webbing running around that biner is going to significantly reduce the load on the strand of webbing that exits the biner and starts to wrap up into the ATC. That means that the portions of the webbing running over top of the ATC (which is where I assume you are concerned about) is going to see a much lower load than the actual load strand, thus the webbing would still very likely break at the load strand and the webbing running over the top of the ATC is not going to affect the loading of the load strand.

Or are you referring to a different sharp edge somewhere else?


NJSlacker


Mar 6, 2012, 8:25 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1509 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 16, 2008
Posts: 212

Re: [USnavy] line locker for highline/longline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

but why use something that hasn't been tested for a job it isn't designed to do, when you have something that has for much cheaper (aka a rap ring)?


Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$32.36 (10% off)
$10.76 (10% off)
$7.16 (10% off)
$205.16 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook