Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Longest crash pad?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 


Pillowthread


Nov 26, 2011, 6:17 PM
Post #1 of 20 (2575 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 26, 2011
Posts: 6

Longest crash pad?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for the longest-length crash pad available to me here in the US. I need to be able to comfortably sleep on it, as it will be my bed for quite a while. I know Edelrid makes/made the Crux model--at 82" long!--but it is not currently available anywhere online on US websites. (It would suit my needs perfectly!) I know ClimbX, Asana, and Mad Rock make models which hit around 6 feet long, but I'm a fairly tall SOB, so these won't work for me...

Does anyone know of any other options available? I'm not gonna consider making my own quite yet at this point...Am I just going to have to try to catch the Edelrid Crux on Ebay?


rock_fencer


Nov 26, 2011, 6:40 PM
Post #2 of 20 (2562 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Posts: 752

Re: [Pillowthread] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

metolius magnum 48 x 72


jbro_135


Nov 27, 2011, 3:03 PM
Post #3 of 20 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2009
Posts: 662

Re: [Pillowthread] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Pillowthread wrote:
I'm looking for the longest-length crash pad available to me here in the US. I need to be able to comfortably sleep on it, as it will be my bed for quite a while. I know Edelrid makes/made the Crux model--at 82" long!--but it is not currently available anywhere online on US websites. (It would suit my needs perfectly!) I know ClimbX, Asana, and Mad Rock make models which hit around 6 feet long, but I'm a fairly tall SOB, so these won't work for me...

Does anyone know of any other options available? I'm not gonna consider making my own quite yet at this point...Am I just going to have to try to catch the Edelrid Crux on Ebay?


get one of the 6' pads and then either add something to support your feet, or stop being a baby


Pillowthread


Nov 27, 2011, 4:03 PM
Post #4 of 20 (2498 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 26, 2011
Posts: 6

Re: [jbro_135] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestion jbro. Not very practical, but thank you. I thought I covered the fact that I'm not interested in 6'-long pads in my OP; perhaps you just didn't read it thoroughly. At any rate, I didn't think my post came across as necessarily baby-ish, though that is certainly open to debate. Since you've already contributed to this thread's drift, I'll indulge you further: Tell me, what was baby-like about my post?

Perhaps that's just your humor, and for likely very many reasons I just don't understand it quite yet? This actual post I'm writing right now is my second on this site, and I love your sporting demeanor! What great fun!

At any rate, I'm all for enlightenment, but I will not settle for something that does not meet my needs. Perhaps that does make me a baby!

Edited only for grammatical reasons.


(This post was edited by Pillowthread on Nov 27, 2011, 4:07 PM)


Kartessa


Nov 27, 2011, 4:32 PM
Post #5 of 20 (2485 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [Pillowthread] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Pillowthread wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion jbro. Not very practical, but thank you. I thought I covered the fact that I'm not interested in 6'-long pads in my OP; perhaps you just didn't read it thoroughly. At any rate, I didn't think my post came across as necessarily baby-ish, though that is certainly open to debate. Since you've already contributed to this thread's drift, I'll indulge you further: Tell me, what was baby-like about my post?

Perhaps that's just your humor, and for likely very many reasons I just don't understand it quite yet? This actual post I'm writing right now is my second on this site, and I love your sporting demeanor! What great fun!

At any rate, I'm all for enlightenment, but I will not settle for something that does not meet my needs. Perhaps that does make me a baby!

Edited only for grammatical reasons.

Damn... I think jbro meant to say "Bitch" rather than "baby" since youre getting all butthurt over a light razzing.

But seriously dude, harden the fuck up. Youve done your homework, you know that 6 foot is the only common option and that 7 feet long isnt something youre likely to find, you can contact edelrid and give them some sob story about how you need to sleep on a crash pad, or you could just get an air mattress or sleeping pad (Think Thermarest Dreamtime) and quit your bitching.


tscampbell


Nov 27, 2011, 4:34 PM
Post #6 of 20 (2483 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 29, 2009
Posts: 37

Re: [Pillowthread] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

my suggestion would be get a crash pad for bouldering and rock out in a hammock!


Pillowthread


Nov 27, 2011, 4:58 PM
Post #7 of 20 (2475 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 26, 2011
Posts: 6

Re: [Kartessa] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Ha! You're great! I am a non-tough, whiny bitch! Though I still need a pad longer than 6', as I live out of the back of my '79 Hilux Long-bed, and simply don't have the room for a dedicated sleeping mat separate from my crash pad as space is at a premium.

I have used many crash pads for both kinds of crashing, and I know how uncomfortable some of them can be in both respects.

You are right though, I have done my homework; it is requisite for me as I try to be as informed a consumer as I can. I choose, whenever I can be conscious of it, to buy the one thing that fits my needs, rather than "try something out" and see if it works (even if I can re-sell it). I feel that what I spend my money on is one of the most important decisions that I, as a consumer, can possibly make, and I refuse to conduct transactions I deem as "unwise."


Qozux


Nov 27, 2011, 6:36 PM
Post #8 of 20 (2456 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 18, 2011
Posts: 33

Re: [Pillowthread] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Call up Misty Mountain and special order one.


shockabuku


Nov 27, 2011, 7:10 PM
Post #9 of 20 (2447 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4849

Re: [Pillowthread] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'd suggest getting two partial length identical height crashpads and fixing them together. Although it would probably suck to have a seam close to your midpoint, my experience with the really big pads is that they are somewhat impractical. I have the Mad Rock Triple Mad Pad and it's really too large; it barely fits in most cars and will take up the entire back seat in most. Also, on that particular pad the straps are insufficiently designed and started ripping off after minimal use. I don't know if that issue has been fixed.


Kartessa


Nov 27, 2011, 9:08 PM
Post #10 of 20 (2429 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [shockabuku] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
I'd suggest getting two partial length identical height crashpads and fixing them together.

constructive posts such as this should be banzed.


camhead


Nov 28, 2011, 6:31 AM
Post #11 of 20 (2391 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20656

Re: [shockabuku] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
I'd suggest getting two partial length identical height crashpads and fixing them together. Although it would probably suck to have a seam close to your midpoint, my experience with the really big pads is that they are somewhat impractical. I have the Mad Rock Triple Mad Pad and it's really too large; it barely fits in most cars and will take up the entire back seat in most. Also, on that particular pad the straps are insufficiently designed and started ripping off after minimal use. I don't know if that issue has been fixed.

My thoughts exactly; get two. If the OP is sleeping in theback of a longbed pickup, he might be able to find two crashpads that would nest in there snugly enough that he is not falling through the seams.

I sleep on an old Bittersweet Doublewide, which is 46" x 80" (a bit big for my 6 foot truck bed, but it squeezes in).


Arockstar


Nov 28, 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #12 of 20 (2337 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 2, 2008
Posts: 20

Re: [Pillowthread] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Check out www.stonelickclimbing.com. We do custom orders!


Pillowthread


Nov 28, 2011, 5:50 PM
Post #13 of 20 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 26, 2011
Posts: 6

Re: [Qozux] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just got a hold of Mike over at Misty Mountain, and they do not do custom Bouldering Pads, nor does Josh at Organic.

A Stonelick custom pad, however, is now in the running...


dudemanbu


Nov 28, 2011, 8:16 PM
Post #14 of 20 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 2, 2005
Posts: 941

Re: [Pillowthread] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

You're a really good sport. We don't like your kind around here.....

Pillowthread wrote:
Ha! You're great! I am a non-tough, whiny bitch! Though I still need a pad longer than 6', as I live out of the back of my '79 Hilux Long-bed, and simply don't have the room for a dedicated sleeping mat separate from my crash pad as space is at a premium.

I have used many crash pads for both kinds of crashing, and I know how uncomfortable some of them can be in both respects.

You are right though, I have done my homework; it is requisite for me as I try to be as informed a consumer as I can. I choose, whenever I can be conscious of it, to buy the one thing that fits my needs, rather than "try something out" and see if it works (even if I can re-sell it). I feel that what I spend my money on is one of the most important decisions that I, as a consumer, can possibly make, and I refuse to conduct transactions I deem as "unwise."


jbro_135


Nov 28, 2011, 8:41 PM
Post #15 of 20 (2276 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2009
Posts: 662

Re: [Pillowthread] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sorry if i offended you, softy. here is a more practical solution than hardening the fuck up...

Step 1: buy big crash pad
step 2: buy a piece of foam to fill the portion of your sleeping area that remains un-padded
step 3: sleep like a baby


Pillowthread


Nov 28, 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #16 of 20 (2264 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 26, 2011
Posts: 6

Re: [jbro_135] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

No offense taken; in fact, there is no possible way you could ever offend me. I'll take from the fact that you didn't explain yourself, that you can't explain yourself. It's alright though, words are hard sometimes.

At any rate, it's good to know Kartessa won't always have to come to your aid.


jbro_135


Nov 29, 2011, 5:28 AM
Post #17 of 20 (2241 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2009
Posts: 662

Re: [Pillowthread] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

T2


Kartessa


Nov 29, 2011, 9:31 PM
Post #18 of 20 (2206 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [Pillowthread] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Pillowthread wrote:

At any rate, it's good to know Kartessa won't always have to come to your aid.

Don't have to, but I'll do it anyway.


sungam


Nov 30, 2011, 1:55 AM
Post #19 of 20 (2191 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26476

Re: [Kartessa] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Pillowthread wrote:

At any rate, it's good to know Kartessa won't always have to come to your aid.

Don't have to, but I'll do it anyway.
K-dizzle has a crrruuuuussshhhhhhh!!!!!!


Kartessa


Nov 30, 2011, 9:16 PM
Post #20 of 20 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7356

Re: [sungam] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Pillowthread wrote:

At any rate, it's good to know Kartessa won't always have to come to your aid.

Don't have to, but I'll do it anyway.
K-dizzle has a crrruuuuussshhhhhhh!!!!!!

Arent you shacking up with Scottek...
All these RC love triangles are confusing


Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$19.76 (10% off)
$19.76 (10% off)
$6.26 (10% off)
$15.52 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook