RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Pillowthread

Nov 27, 2011, 2:17 AM
Post #1 of 20 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Longest crash pad?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for the longest-length crash pad available to me here in the US. I need to be able to comfortably sleep on it, as it will be my bed for quite a while. I know Edelrid makes/made the Crux model--at 82" long!--but it is not currently available anywhere online on US websites. (It would suit my needs perfectly!) I know ClimbX, Asana, and Mad Rock make models which hit around 6 feet long, but I'm a fairly tall SOB, so these won't work for me...

Does anyone know of any other options available? I'm not gonna consider making my own quite yet at this point...Am I just going to have to try to catch the Edelrid Crux on Ebay?

rock_fencer

Nov 27, 2011, 2:40 AM
Post #2 of 20 (6566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Pillowthread] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

metolius magnum 48 x 72

jbro_135

Nov 27, 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #3 of 20 (6517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Pillowthread wrote:
I'm looking for the longest-length crash pad available to me here in the US. I need to be able to comfortably sleep on it, as it will be my bed for quite a while. I know Edelrid makes/made the Crux model--at 82" long!--but it is not currently available anywhere online on US websites. (It would suit my needs perfectly!) I know ClimbX, Asana, and Mad Rock make models which hit around 6 feet long, but I'm a fairly tall SOB, so these won't work for me...

Does anyone know of any other options available? I'm not gonna consider making my own quite yet at this point...Am I just going to have to try to catch the Edelrid Crux on Ebay?

get one of the 6' pads and then either add something to support your feet, or stop being a baby

Pillowthread

Nov 28, 2011, 12:03 AM
Post #4 of 20 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestion jbro. Not very practical, but thank you. I thought I covered the fact that I'm not interested in 6'-long pads in my OP; perhaps you just didn't read it thoroughly. At any rate, I didn't think my post came across as necessarily baby-ish, though that is certainly open to debate. Since you've already contributed to this thread's drift, I'll indulge you further: Tell me, what was baby-like about my post?

Perhaps that's just your humor, and for likely very many reasons I just don't understand it quite yet? This actual post I'm writing right now is my second on this site, and I love your sporting demeanor! What great fun!

At any rate, I'm all for enlightenment, but I will not settle for something that does not meet my needs. Perhaps that does make me a baby!

Edited only for grammatical reasons.

(This post was edited by Pillowthread on Nov 28, 2011, 12:07 AM)

Kartessa

Nov 28, 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #5 of 20 (6489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pillowthread wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion jbro. Not very practical, but thank you. I thought I covered the fact that I'm not interested in 6'-long pads in my OP; perhaps you just didn't read it thoroughly. At any rate, I didn't think my post came across as necessarily baby-ish, though that is certainly open to debate. Since you've already contributed to this thread's drift, I'll indulge you further: Tell me, what was baby-like about my post?

Perhaps that's just your humor, and for likely very many reasons I just don't understand it quite yet? This actual post I'm writing right now is my second on this site, and I love your sporting demeanor! What great fun!

At any rate, I'm all for enlightenment, but I will not settle for something that does not meet my needs. Perhaps that does make me a baby!

Edited only for grammatical reasons.

Damn... I think jbro meant to say "Bitch" rather than "baby" since youre getting all butthurt over a light razzing.

But seriously dude, harden the fuck up. Youve done your homework, you know that 6 foot is the only common option and that 7 feet long isnt something youre likely to find, you can contact edelrid and give them some sob story about how you need to sleep on a crash pad, or you could just get an air mattress or sleeping pad (Think Thermarest Dreamtime) and quit your bitching.

tscampbell

Nov 28, 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #6 of 20 (6487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my suggestion would be get a crash pad for bouldering and rock out in a hammock!

Pillowthread

Nov 28, 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #7 of 20 (6479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! You're great! I am a non-tough, whiny bitch! Though I still need a pad longer than 6', as I live out of the back of my '79 Hilux Long-bed, and simply don't have the room for a dedicated sleeping mat separate from my crash pad as space is at a premium.

I have used many crash pads for both kinds of crashing, and I know how uncomfortable some of them can be in both respects.

You are right though, I have done my homework; it is requisite for me as I try to be as informed a consumer as I can. I choose, whenever I can be conscious of it, to buy the one thing that fits my needs, rather than "try something out" and see if it works (even if I can re-sell it). I feel that what I spend my money on is one of the most important decisions that I, as a consumer, can possibly make, and I refuse to conduct transactions I deem as "unwise."

Qozux

Nov 28, 2011, 2:36 AM
Post #8 of 20 (6460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Call up Misty Mountain and special order one.

shockabuku

Nov 28, 2011, 3:10 AM
Post #9 of 20 (6451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd suggest getting two partial length identical height crashpads and fixing them together. Although it would probably suck to have a seam close to your midpoint, my experience with the really big pads is that they are somewhat impractical. I have the Mad Rock Triple Mad Pad and it's really too large; it barely fits in most cars and will take up the entire back seat in most. Also, on that particular pad the straps are insufficiently designed and started ripping off after minimal use. I don't know if that issue has been fixed.

Kartessa

Nov 28, 2011, 5:08 AM
Post #10 of 20 (6433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
I'd suggest getting two partial length identical height crashpads and fixing them together.

constructive posts such as this should be banzed.

Partner camhead

Nov 28, 2011, 2:31 PM
Post #11 of 20 (6395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
I'd suggest getting two partial length identical height crashpads and fixing them together. Although it would probably suck to have a seam close to your midpoint, my experience with the really big pads is that they are somewhat impractical. I have the Mad Rock Triple Mad Pad and it's really too large; it barely fits in most cars and will take up the entire back seat in most. Also, on that particular pad the straps are insufficiently designed and started ripping off after minimal use. I don't know if that issue has been fixed.

My thoughts exactly; get two. If the OP is sleeping in theback of a longbed pickup, he might be able to find two crashpads that would nest in there snugly enough that he is not falling through the seams.

I sleep on an old Bittersweet Doublewide, which is 46" x 80" (a bit big for my 6 foot truck bed, but it squeezes in).

Arockstar

Nov 28, 2011, 8:47 PM
Post #12 of 20 (6341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out www.stonelickclimbing.com. We do custom orders!

Pillowthread

Nov 29, 2011, 1:50 AM
Post #13 of 20 (6310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Qozux] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got a hold of Mike over at Misty Mountain, and they do not do custom Bouldering Pads, nor does Josh at Organic.

A Stonelick custom pad, however, is now in the running...

dudemanbu

Nov 29, 2011, 4:16 AM
Post #14 of 20 (6292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're a really good sport. We don't like your kind around here.....

Pillowthread wrote:
Ha! You're great! I am a non-tough, whiny bitch! Though I still need a pad longer than 6', as I live out of the back of my '79 Hilux Long-bed, and simply don't have the room for a dedicated sleeping mat separate from my crash pad as space is at a premium.

I have used many crash pads for both kinds of crashing, and I know how uncomfortable some of them can be in both respects.

You are right though, I have done my homework; it is requisite for me as I try to be as informed a consumer as I can. I choose, whenever I can be conscious of it, to buy the one thing that fits my needs, rather than "try something out" and see if it works (even if I can re-sell it). I feel that what I spend my money on is one of the most important decisions that I, as a consumer, can possibly make, and I refuse to conduct transactions I deem as "unwise."

jbro_135

Nov 29, 2011, 4:41 AM
Post #15 of 20 (6280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry if i offended you, softy. here is a more practical solution than hardening the fuck up...

Step 1: buy big crash pad
step 2: buy a piece of foam to fill the portion of your sleeping area that remains un-padded
step 3: sleep like a baby

Pillowthread

Nov 29, 2011, 6:10 AM
Post #16 of 20 (6268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

No offense taken; in fact, there is no possible way you could ever offend me. I'll take from the fact that you didn't explain yourself, that you can't explain yourself. It's alright though, words are hard sometimes.

At any rate, it's good to know Kartessa won't always have to come to your aid.

jbro_135

Nov 29, 2011, 1:28 PM
Post #17 of 20 (6245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T2

Kartessa

Nov 30, 2011, 5:31 AM
Post #18 of 20 (6210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pillowthread wrote:

Don't have to, but I'll do it anyway.

sungam

Nov 30, 2011, 9:55 AM
Post #19 of 20 (6195 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Pillowthread wrote:

K-dizzle has a crrruuuuussshhhhhhh!!!!!!

Kartessa

Dec 1, 2011, 5:16 AM
Post #20 of 20 (6138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Longest crash pad? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Pillowthread wrote:

K-dizzle has a crrruuuuussshhhhhhh!!!!!!

Arent you shacking up with Scottek...
All these RC love triangles are confusing

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook