curt

Dec 1, 2011, 8:52 AM
Post #1 of 30 (1912 views)
Shortcut

Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux)
Report this Post
Can't Post

ABC News wrote:
Did Michelle Bachmann have her “oops” moment?

In light of the British Foreign Ministry pulling all U.K. nationals out of the British embassy in Tehran after students stormed the building in protest, GOP presidential candidate Michelle Bachmann told a crowd in Waverly, Iowa, today that she would close the U.S. embassy in Iran.

One small, tiny note: The U.S. hasn’t had an embassy in Tehran since 1980. Following the Iranian Hostage Crisis, where 52 Americans were held for 444 days, the United States cut all diplomatic ties...

Dumber than a sack of hammers...

Curt

traddad

Dec 1, 2011, 8:59 AM
Post #2 of 30 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's hoof....

Her mouthpiece is strenuously denying that it was a gaff.

veganclimber

Dec 1, 2011, 9:02 PM
Post #3 of 30 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This woman is actually insane. Watch this exchange with a student here:

http://news.yahoo.com/...ights-220036387.html

In reply to:
STUDENT: One of my main concerns is government support for the LGBT community. So my question is what would you do to protect GSAs in high school and support the LGBT community.

BACHMANN: Well, No. 1, all of us as Americans have the same rights. The same civil rights. And so that’s really what government’s role is, to protect our civil rights. There shouldn’t be any special rights or special set of criteria based upon people’s preferences. We all have the same civil rights.

STUDENT: Then, why can’t same-sex couples get married?

BACHMANN: They can get married, but they abide by the same law as everyone else. They can marry a man if they’re a woman. Or they can marry a woman if they’re a man.

STUDENT: Why can’t a man marry a man?

BACHMANN: Because that’s not the law of the land.

STUDENT: So heterosexual couples have a privilege.

BACHMANN: No, they have the same opportunity under the law. There is no right to same-sex marriage.

STUDENT: So you won’t support the LGBT community?

BACHMANN: No, I said that there are no special rights for people based upon your sex practices. There’s no special rights based upon what you do in your sex life. You’re an American citizen first and foremost and that’s it.

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 2, 2011, 3:46 AM
Post #4 of 30 (1855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
ABC News wrote:
Did Michelle Bachmann have her “oops” moment?

In light of the British Foreign Ministry pulling all U.K. nationals out of the British embassy in Tehran after students stormed the building in protest, GOP presidential candidate Michelle Bachmann told a crowd in Waverly, Iowa, today that she would close the U.S. embassy in Iran.

One small, tiny note: The U.S. hasn’t had an embassy in Tehran since 1980. Following the Iranian Hostage Crisis, where 52 Americans were held for 444 days, the United States cut all diplomatic ties...

Dumber than a sack of hammers...

Curt

And she appeals to all the other "hammers" in the sack...

Unfortunately, there are many.

As Andy said years ago here on this site:
"...a large portion of voters are kneejerking simpletons easily distracted by shiny things and yelling..." ~Andy Gram (atg200)

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Dec 2, 2011, 3:47 AM)

ubu

Dec 2, 2011, 4:41 AM
Post #5 of 30 (1847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love this woman. Her recent marginalization in the primaries is really sad – we're being deprived of some of the best entertainment America has to offer the world.

traddad

Dec 2, 2011, 5:11 AM
Post #6 of 30 (1842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
I love this woman. Her recent marginalization in the primaries is really sad – we're being deprived of some of the best entertainment America has to offer the world.

Indeed. She's a living, walking Saturday Night Live caricature. Kind of a Daffy Duck in a pink power suit and heels.

scrapedape

Dec 2, 2011, 5:51 AM
Post #7 of 30 (1837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
"...simpletons easily distracted by shiny things and yelling..." ~Andy Gram (atg200)

Sounds like climbers.

scrapedape

Dec 2, 2011, 5:53 AM
Post #8 of 30 (1836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
I love this woman. Her recent marginalization in the primaries is really sad

Oops. You posted that under the wrong alias. Please logout and log back in as pinktricam.

ubu

Dec 2, 2011, 5:55 AM
Post #9 of 30 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
ubu wrote:
I love this woman. Her recent marginalization in the primaries is really sad

Oops. You posted that under the wrong alias. Please logout and log back in as pinktricam.

Pirate ouch

Toast_in_the_Machine

Dec 2, 2011, 8:02 PM
Post #10 of 30 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
"...simpletons easily distracted by shiny things and yelling..." ~Andy Gram (atg200)

Sounds like climbers.

That is so not true, ooh look quartzite.

guangzhou

Dec 2, 2011, 8:36 PM
Post #11 of 30 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Sounds like climbers.

To all you genius out there, name 15 countries in the world that don't have a U.S. Embassy or consulate without going to Google.

I am also pretty sure we have consulate type personnel in Iran to offer the services needed via another country's embassy or consulate. Most likely a European country is giving us a room to run operations out of. (Guess I could Google for a warden's message list, but not that important to me) Just because we don't have official ties doesn't mean we don't offer service via a back door, it just means we don't have a SOFA within that country.

veganclimber

Dec 2, 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #12 of 30 (1795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Sounds like climbers.

To all you genius out there, name 15 countries in the world that don't have a U.S. Embassy or consulate without going to Google.

What you're asking for is basically trivia. Iran is a different story though. We closed our embassy there after Iranian militants stormed it and held Americans hostage for over a year. This was a bit before my time, but even I knew this.

ubu

Dec 3, 2011, 4:50 AM
Post #13 of 30 (1782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Sounds like climbers.

What you're asking for is basically trivia. Iran is a different story though. We closed our embassy there after Iranian militants stormed it and held Americans hostage for over a year. This was a bit before my time, but even I knew this.

Right, guangzhou's point would be valid for just about any other country, but not Iran. Someone from Bachmann's generation should definitely know this. As a congresswoman she should definitely, definitely, definitely know this. Bachmann truly is an idiot. The term "willful ignorance" comes to mind...

guangzhou

Dec 3, 2011, 6:02 AM
Post #14 of 30 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe you should read all the question in the post instead of just one. I'm pretty sure we have Foreign Service Members in Iran. I say this because a friend of mine had his passport renewed there last year or so.

Again, to lazy to Google this, but I am guessing we have foreign service member via another country's SOFA.

ubu

Dec 3, 2011, 6:18 AM
Post #15 of 30 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Maybe you should read all the question in the post instead of just one. I'm pretty sure we have Foreign Service Members in Iran. I say this because a friend of mine had his passport renewed there last year or so.

Again, to lazy to Google this, but I am guessing we have foreign service member via another country's SOFA.

But this has no bearing on Bachmann's comments, which reveal that she is unaware of the simple (and rather fundamental) fact that we have no diplomatic relations with Iran.

iknowfear

Dec 3, 2011, 7:24 AM
Post #16 of 30 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:

state wrote:
SMART TRAVELER ENROLLMENT PROGRAM (STEP) / EMBASSY LOCATION: The U.S. government does not have diplomatic or consular relations with the Islamic Republic of Iran and therefore cannot provide protection or routine consular services to U.S. citizens in Iran. The Swiss government, acting through its Embassy in Tehran, serves as protecting power for U.S. interests in Iran. If you are going to live in or visit Iran, please take the time to tell the Swiss Embassy about your trip. If you enroll, we can keep you up to date with important safety and security announcements. It will also help your friends and family get in touch with you in an emergency. Here’s the link to the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
http://travel.state.gov/...tw/cis/cis_1142.html

guangzhou

Dec 3, 2011, 9:11 PM
Post #17 of 30 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Sounds like climbers.

Right, guangzhou's point would be valid for just about any other country, but not Iran. Someone from Bachmann's generation should definitely know this. As a congresswoman she should definitely, definitely, definitely know this. Bachmann truly is an idiot. The term "willful ignorance" comes to mind...

A lot happens politically in 20, 30, and 40 years. Not knowing that Iran doesn't have an Embassy today doesn't surprise me. I bet most people who posted here didn't know until they read it in the news blurp, on twitter or facebook, and had to read about why.

Before my generation, but the American Embassy was overrun in Vietnam and the American Embassy in Serbia was overrun in the last decade, can't remember exactly when, but we have embassies there today.

Cheers

ubu

Dec 4, 2011, 5:11 AM
Post #18 of 30 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
ubu wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Sounds like climbers.

A lot happens politically in 20, 30, and 40 years. Not knowing that Iran doesn't have an Embassy today doesn't surprise me. I bet most people who posted here didn't know until they read it in the news blurp, on twitter or facebook, and had to read about why.

Before my generation, but the American Embassy was overrun in Vietnam and the American Embassy in Serbia was overrun in the last decade, can't remember exactly when, but we have embassies there today.

Cheers

I very much doubt this is true. The status of US-Iran relations, or lack thereof, is very well known even to those who don't pay a lot of attention to politics.

traddad

Dec 4, 2011, 1:24 PM
Post #19 of 30 (1681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
ubu wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Sounds like climbers.

Cheers

You would be mistaken.

hyhuu

Dec 5, 2011, 4:36 AM
Post #20 of 30 (1653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
ubu wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Sounds like climbers.

Cheers

You would be mistaken.

He could be forgiven since he is posting from Indonesia.

Partner rrrADAM

Dec 5, 2011, 5:38 AM
Post #21 of 30 (1644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:

All of em, to a degree... I watch the TeaPublican debates for this very reason... It's like a combination of Survivor and The Jerry Springer Show... Who's gonna get voted off the Island next?

Partner j_ung

Dec 5, 2011, 10:11 AM
Post #22 of 30 (1626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:

Sounds like climbers.

I am also pretty sure we have consulate type personnel in Iran to offer the services needed via another country's embassy or consulate. Most likely a European country is giving us a room to run operations out of. (Guess I could Google for a warden's message list, but not that important to me) Just because we don't have official ties doesn't mean we don't offer service via a back door, it just means we don't have a SOFA within that country.

I'm certain I can't name 15 countries that don't have a US embassy, but if you had asked me to name one, I for damn sure would have said Iran.

petsfed

Dec 5, 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #23 of 30 (1614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I'm certain I can't name 15 countries that don't have a US embassy, but if you had asked me to name one, I for damn sure would have said Iran.

My instinct would be to list Bush's axis of evil: Iran, North Korea, and Iraq, but dropping the last one since I was not comatose for the last decade.

Allfred

Dec 5, 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #24 of 30 (1606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is one of the main reasons that the austerity minded Carter was beaten by the spendthrift REagan. How can you be a Reagan lover and not know about Iran?

Allfred

Dec 5, 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #25 of 30 (666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Allfred] Bachmann - foot in mouth (redux) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How can you post in here and not get the PTFTW!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$215.06 (10% off)
$126.00 (10% off)
$8.55 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook