Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

RunRocket

Nov 30, 2011, 6:50 AM
Post #1 of 27 (14906 views)
Shortcut

design for tall garage woodie
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a corner I am going to start on. It's 10'x10'x20'tall. If any one has pics of different shapes and angles for the walls I would appreciate it.
I also want to buy or make a device that winds up the rope as I climb and then if I fall, slows me down as I come down. I am the inventor of runrocket and can probably use one of them to slow my fall but if I can buy something safer and made for what I am doing it would be better.
My main focus is the design of the wall right now. I'll make a cool climbing spotter later.
I ordered 60 hold to get me started but will definitely be getting more.

wrbill

Nov 30, 2011, 8:27 AM
Post #2 of 27 (14892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RunRocket] design for tall garage woodie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have some pics on my profile of the wall that I build. It was 12' wide by 10' high. the angles were 15, 30, 45. The wall was good to climb on but i would have move the left side of the wall to the right side. That is the only thing that I would have done different.

RunRocket

Nov 30, 2011, 4:21 PM
Post #3 of 27 (14870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wrbill] design for tall garage woodie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is an awesome wall. Would you have wanted to make a roof, or are you happy with the overhangs you have?

wrbill

Nov 30, 2011, 5:55 PM
Post #4 of 27 (14851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was going to add a roof later but never did, and I don't think that is would have added any more to the climbing. The overhangs were enough and no roof needed.

I took the wall down because I was making room for my woodshop and was going to move it to the other side of the shop and make some changes, but I moved to the Philippines and never did build the new wall.

Just something to help you witht the design of your wall and what I did. Use google sketch-up, it's a great way to see what your wall will look like and you can make changes easy. I think I did about 20 or 30 different designs before I found that one that I liked.

As for the padding, I went to a upholstery shop and asked if they had any old foam. What I got was old couch cushions that were about 5" to 8" thick. I had to go back about three times till I got enough to cover a floor area of 12' X 6'. I then cover that with some old carpet, worked great.

Good luck with your woodie!

RunRocket

Dec 1, 2011, 8:12 AM
Post #5 of 27 (14796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's funny you said you made room for your wood shop. I live in a warehouse in downtown san antonio and I am condensing my shop to make room for my wall. My current shop area is 20'x30'. Since my shop is 20' tall I can make most of the overhangs higher than 7' leaving room for shop machines that can be wheeled out of the way. I will take some pictures soon.
I am pretty serious about the spotting machine I am going to build. Is there such a thing that can be bought? I googled it but didn't find anything. I will check out the sketch up program.

wrbill

Dec 1, 2011, 3:02 PM
Post #6 of 27 (14766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't think that a spotting machine can be found. I would climb all the time on my wall without a spotter, but my wall was only 10'. My shop was 20'X30' and the wall was 12'W and came out 7' at the top. I built a false wall that was 1' from the shop wall so that I could get behind it to change T-nuts. You can kind of see it in one of the pics on my profile.

shockabuku

Dec 1, 2011, 4:56 PM
Post #7 of 27 (14743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just out of curiosity, you don't know the inventor of the fleshlight, do you?http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2103203#2103203

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Dec 1, 2011, 4:56 PM)

RunRocket

Dec 1, 2011, 7:27 PM
Post #8 of 27 (14721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] design for tall garage woodie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

No I don't know the inventor of the fleshlight But I already wore out 3 of them. That company has no ethics at all, they won't exchange them out any more!

shockabuku

Dec 1, 2011, 7:33 PM
Post #9 of 27 (14719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RunRocket wrote:
No I don't know the inventor of the fleshlight But I already wore out 3 of them. That company has no ethics at all, they won't exchange them out any more!

Laugh

TarheelJD

Dec 1, 2011, 9:42 PM
Post #10 of 27 (14697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.autobelay.com/

It's expensive for personal use but I've used this model in a gym before and it works well.

RunRocket

Dec 2, 2011, 5:41 AM
Post #11 of 27 (14671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarheelJD] design for tall garage woodie [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is exactly what I was imagining. I will just make my own though, $2200 is too much for my screw around climbing wall.

RunRocket

Dec 2, 2011, 6:55 AM
Post #12 of 27 (14659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started drilling the holes for the T-nuts. I drilled them 1/64 under 7/16 so they would fit tighter. I drilled 52 holes per 4x8.
The T-nuts I bought are the kind with the 3 prongs that stab into the wood. Is it really necessary to glue them in? What is a good type of glue to use for this? Do you acetone the nuts before applying the glue?
I know there is the other kind of T-nuts that have 3 holes to presumably screw 3 screws into. Are those better for walls? Does anyone use the 3 stabby thing nuts and just put a few wide flanged screws in right beside them?
OK I just watched some videos on installing T-nuts. What is up with threading them with a bolt to get them in. Why don't they lay the plywood on the ground and whack them with a hammer to set them?
OK messed around with them some. It is just easier to install the three hole ones. I hammered the 3 pronged in and now I am going to end up putting screws beside them anyway to make sure they never get knocked back out.

(This post was edited by RunRocket on Dec 2, 2011, 8:13 AM)

wrbill

Dec 2, 2011, 9:38 AM
Post #13 of 27 (14637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The 7/16 is the right size hole to drill, that was the same that I used. I drilled 100 to 120 per 4X8 sheet. The reason for so many is that you have more chooses for holds. No you do not have to glue them, I did not. As for the T-nuts with the 3 screws, they are the best ones to get because they do not spin. If you will be moving your holds a lot then I would go with them but it is a lot of work.

The way to put the 3 pronged ones in is not to use a hammer but a 3lbs sleg. The reason for the sleg is that it sets them but and you don't have they problems with the spinning. this is the way that I did mine and I think I only had about 10 spin out of 1000, yes I put over a 1000 T-nuts on my wall.

The reason that they tell you to thread the bolt to pull them in is so that they go in stright and are set good, that is why I used the 3lbs sleg. That is the small one handed sleg. It will give your forearm a great workout.

I was happy with the ones that I used and how I put them in. If I build a wall here I will do it the same way as it worked great for me.

RunRocket

Dec 2, 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #14 of 27 (14601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do pics have to be sized before uploading them? IS there any way to upload them and have them auto size to fit for the forum?

(This post was edited by RunRocket on Dec 2, 2011, 11:03 PM)

wrbill

Dec 3, 2011, 7:13 AM
Post #15 of 27 (14576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have to size your pics before uploading, or you can post them on one of the pic sites like "photo bucket" and put the link in your post.

http://photobucket.com/

Not sure if you know how to add a link in your post, but if you don't this is how. Below the post area is a group of buttons: reply, quote, image, b, u, i, email, url, code. Click "url" button, then type the address, then click the "url" button again. When done, it will look like this in the post area that you are typing, see below.

url in [], the web address, \url in []

(This post was edited by wrbill on Dec 3, 2011, 7:15 AM)

RunRocket

Dec 3, 2011, 7:27 AM
Post #16 of 27 (14570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am expanding the climbing area to 20'wide, including 2 corners. I had these I-beams sticking out of the wall, so I built a roof that is 8'x7' and 7' off the ground.
Thanks for the tip on the couch cushions also. I am a scavenger! I was at the college walking my dog and saw a bunch of couches that were in the offices that they threw out. I ended up with 2 couches for the office and 7 extra cushions. I know foam isn't cheap so I snagged them cause I thought I could do something with them. Looks like they are now crash pads. I need to figure out how to post these pics so I can get some feedback and ideas.

RunRocket

Dec 3, 2011, 7:33 AM
Post #17 of 27 (14567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I knocked back the resolution on my phones camera. I am only 10' high so far on the wall.
I ordered 60 holds to get started. I just noticed that 40 of the 60 are screw on. Can these be modified to work with Tnuts? OR will I just have to screw these 40 on?

(This post was edited by RunRocket on Dec 3, 2011, 8:22 AM)
Attachments: IMAG0139.jpg (111 KB)

wrbill

Dec 3, 2011, 8:16 AM
Post #18 of 27 (14559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is that the support wall that you are showing in the pic. What size studs did you use? What I would have done is get some 20' studs and use 2X6. Plus you would want to anchor the wall at the 10' mark to the main wall of the building. Not sure if you did this of not but I would mount the bottom plate to the floor using bolt anchors in the concrete, the same anchors that are used for sport climbing.

If you want I have plans for your TR anchors and lead anchors if you are going to but them in. Not that a 20' wall will give you much leading. There is a pic on my profile for the TR anchors.

RunRocket

Dec 3, 2011, 6:13 PM
Post #19 of 27 (14540 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They are 2x6. The wall gets plywood on the back and front. I am anchoring into the ground and the concrete block wall on the left of the pic. Also to the steel beam across the ceiling. If there are any issues withe the wall, I am going to run steel from the floor to the steel ceiling joist.
Putting plywood on both sides will make the wall like an engineered laminated beam. Where the seam in the middle will have a 4'x8' sheet of plywood 2' above and 2'below.
I'd love to see the plans for the TR anchors. I am not sure what they are but if it is relevant I am interested.

wrbill

Dec 3, 2011, 8:48 PM
Post #20 of 27 (14525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't need the plywood on the back. I will see if I can get some pics of the gym that I help to build, if not I will make some drawings that show what i'm talking about. You should not need the steel from floor to ceiling either. Their was no steel in the one that we built, it was all wood.

The TR anchor is in my profile pics. The TR anchors are for Top Rope (TR).

RunRocket

Dec 4, 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #21 of 27 (14507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This wall is supported on the sides but is just a hinge in the middle if it is not plywood sheathed on both sides. Anyway the shop on the other side is a Midas Muffler shop so it needs to be plywood anyway.
The frame out with the insulation is a liquor store I am building. The climbing wall idea came about as a result of all the construction for that.
I would like to know if I frame this whole 20'x30' room out with a wall, would people be willing to pay to climb it.
I would even make it 24 hours or at least until 3 or 4 in the morning. The lack of any climbing walls in this city tells me some would love to have one here. There is a Lifetime fitness about 25 miles away that has a wall but the hours are limited and you have to be a member there.

RunRocket

Dec 4, 2011, 8:22 AM
Post #22 of 27 (14486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the first feature I will build.

(This post was edited by RunRocket on Dec 4, 2011, 8:23 AM)
Attachments: IMAG0140.jpg (69.8 KB)

wrbill

Dec 4, 2011, 8:25 AM
Post #23 of 27 (14482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are some pics of the gym that I help build

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ment;postatt_id=515;
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ment;postatt_id=538;
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ment;postatt_id=539;

RunRocket

Dec 4, 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #24 of 27 (14471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How tall were those walls? That is a serious gym. Where is that located?
I watched some Youtube videos of bouldering competitions and they were done on 20' walls. The feature I want to build first was from one of those competitions.
I just framed out a 30'x30'x10'tall room that fronts broadway. The climbing wall room is behind that.

wrbill

Dec 4, 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #25 of 27 (14462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The wall was 20' with two arches and a 12' high top out bouldering area. The arches had anchors for leading and TR. The big beams that you see are pairalam beams that weigh 40 lbs per foot and were 20' long. We had to put up 4 of them. The are 7" X 14". The wall had over 5000' of climbing area.

There was two people working most of the time, they were the owners then I would help when I could. Plus there was about two others that would help from time to time.

The wall is in Klamath Falls, OR.

(This post was edited by wrbill on Dec 4, 2011, 12:50 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook