RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Danx

Dec 1, 2011, 7:34 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1413 views)
Shortcut

Another finger Injury
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi All,

Around 3-4 months back I injured one of my fingers while climbing. I didn't feel the injury until the day after but there was a strong ache feeling (Think it's probably a pulley injury from over crimping?).

Since then I have carried on climbing but tried to take things easy and also used theraputty and the metolius gripsaver to try and help the injury. The problem is while im climbing my hand feels completely fine but for the next 1-2 days a dull ache returns

What id like to know, is if this sounds like part of the healing process or if it sounds like im doing further damage and should lay off climbing for a few months?

Thanks

(This post was edited by Danx on Dec 1, 2011, 7:36 PM)

redlude97

Dec 1, 2011, 9:12 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Danx] Another finger Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say 4 weeks minimum.

onceahardman

Dec 2, 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Danx] Another finger Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Danx wrote:
Hi All,

Around 3-4 months back I injured one of my fingers while climbing. I didn't feel the injury until the day after but there was a strong ache feeling (Think it's probably a pulley injury from over crimping?).

Since then I have carried on climbing but tried to take things easy and also used theraputty and the metolius gripsaver to try and help the injury. The problem is while im climbing my hand feels completely fine but for the next 1-2 days a dull ache returns

What id like to know, is if this sounds like part of the healing process or if it sounds like im doing further damage and should lay off climbing for a few months?

Thanks

You seem to be describing pain at rest. Pain at rest is a pretty reliable sign of inflammation. I suspect you have torn some connective tissue (capsule, collateral ligaments, pulleys, etc). You applied forces to these structures which were in excess of the tensile strength of the tissue. Now, you have resulting instability, because of the damaged connective tissue, and the joint gets inflamed because of excess motion during climbing.

Long term inflammation of a joint will lead to degenerative bony changes (arthritic changes). In fact, inflammation of a joint is, by definition, arthritis.

If I were you, I'd first limit climbing on plastic. Climb on rock, which tends to be much easier on finger joints. Learn to use the open grip, rather than crimping. Keep the finger joints moving. Progress slowly.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook