Forums: Climbing Information: Accident and Incident Analysis:
Hiker injured in unroped fall at Reimer's Ranch (Central Texas)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

danep

Nov 14, 2011, 3:14 PM
Post #1 of 3 (4553 views)
Shortcut

Hiker injured in unroped fall at Reimer's Ranch (Central Texas)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was at Reimer's Ranch this weekend and witnessed the aftermath of an incident involving an unroped female hiker/climber who fell 10-20 feet. As with most incidents, solid details are hard to come by. A local news article says it was a climber, but everyone I talked to at the scene said it was just a day-hiker, possibly a youth. She fell from a 10ft-wide ledge, commonly used as a belay area, and broke a leg, but was not reported to have more serious injuries. I saw her talking and joking with rescuers after the incident. A Starflight helicopter circled the scene for approximately a half-hour before short-hauling her in a litter out of the valley and to a waiting ambulance. She fell in a heavily wooded area, so I assume that the helicopter was waiting for rescuers on the ground to move her to an evacuation area.

The take-away message for me: although the big falls and fatalities attract the most attention, the truth is that most climbing incidents don't involve great heights or even technical climbing. All of the incidents and near-misses in my experience have occurred during the approach, hike out, or during the first few moves of a climb. We should certainly remain vigilant of major screw-ups, but remember that climbing isn't necessarily the most dangerous aspect of climbing.

bearbreeder

Nov 14, 2011, 11:22 PM
Post #2 of 3 (4417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [danep] Hiker injured in unroped fall at Reimer's Ranch (Central Texas) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i believe there was an incident last year at yosemite where a very strong climber slipped on easy 3rd class ground on descent and fell to her death

its a sobering reminder that you can easily die on "easy" ground even after a climb is over

anyone can fall anytime, anywhere ... its a risk we all take ...

timstich

Dec 2, 2011, 12:59 AM
Post #3 of 3 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Hiker injured in unroped fall at Reimer's Ranch (Central Texas) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We helped a teenage boy out of the area near the river who had twisted his ankle once. It's not the easiest trail down to the river.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook