RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

RunRocket

Dec 2, 2011, 6:05 AM
Post #1 of 22 (12036 views)
Shortcut

My shoes hurt, causes water to leak from my eyes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a total noob when it comes to climbing. I bought some MadRock lace up hookers cause they were on sale. I have climbed this building across the street about 20 times. They hurt like a mutha. I can only wear them for 10 minutes at a time, then I have to take a break from my shoes! This is the only pair of climbing shoes I have ever owned and have no friends that climb. Is this normal? Also they do not fit tight on my heel. There is an air pocket right at the bottom rear most part of my heel. I can't even drive my heel in to the ground to get rid of it. Is this normal? Also does any one climb barefoot, or is that just for hillbillys? (that last part is a serious question)

(This post was edited by RunRocket on Dec 2, 2011, 6:05 AM)

Qozux

Dec 2, 2011, 6:26 AM
Post #2 of 22 (12025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RunRocket] My shoes hurt, causes water to leak from my eyes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing shoes are usually not comfortable, but if they are unbearable, then you've got the wrong shoes, my friend. Go to the nearest rock gym and talk to people in person. Most gyms sell shoes so you should try some on and see what you like.

meanandugly

Dec 2, 2011, 8:17 AM
Post #3 of 22 (12009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hey boy,
I us to be one of dem der hillbilly an climed wit my feets all bare, but now I gots me a edjumacashan an gots me some shoos dat er good an tight...jus like da hogs back on da farm. If der 2 tight, like a chiken then der no good fer you. Do like the last guy said.

sp115

Dec 2, 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #4 of 22 (11983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RunRocket wrote:
I am a total noob when it comes to climbing. I bought some MadRock lace up hookers cause they were on sale. I have climbed this building across the street about 20 times. They hurt like a mutha. I can only wear them for 10 minutes at a time, then I have to take a break from my shoes! This is the only pair of climbing shoes I have ever owned and have no friends that climb. Is this normal? Also they do not fit tight on my heel. There is an air pocket right at the bottom rear most part of my heel. I can't even drive my heel in to the ground to get rid of it. Is this normal? Also does any one climb barefoot, or is that just for hillbillys? (that last part is a serious question)

You bought the wrong shoe or shoe size - end of story. There are enough "what shoe should I buy" threads floating around that it shouldn't be a problem to figure out that your shoes should be comfortably snug, but not painful. And if you have a big air pocket then you really should consider a different last or manufacturer.

And FWIW, the first pair of shoes is almost always a miss. Sort of a right of passage.

(This post was edited by sp115 on Dec 2, 2011, 12:35 PM)

shockabuku

Dec 2, 2011, 2:05 PM
Post #5 of 22 (11965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's at least one real climbing gym in Austin, you should visit it.

marc801

Dec 2, 2011, 3:52 PM
Post #6 of 22 (11931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RunRocket wrote:
Why does this keep coming up? It's a real simple concept - if your feet hurt and your shoes are painful, you cannot concentrate on climbing. Climbing shoes should not be painful!!! There are about 8000 threads on this site alone providing assistance in shoe selection and fit. You also have a local gym. Use these sources of info.

tolman_paul

Dec 2, 2011, 6:41 PM
Post #7 of 22 (11883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buying too small shoes because they are on saile is false economy. I know, I've done it several times.

There is a difference between snug and painfull, snug is good, painful is bad.

shellc0de

Dec 2, 2011, 7:07 PM
Post #8 of 22 (11871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] My shoes hurt, causes water to leak from my eyes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I rented the wrong size, because I was climbing a 5.6 and got a horrible charlie horse on one of the easiest footholds ever.

RunRocket

Dec 2, 2011, 7:41 PM
Post #9 of 22 (11864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shellc0de] My shoes hurt, causes water to leak from my eyes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At the University, they have a climbing wall. But other than that San Antonio is full of fat people. They can't climb a ladder so, no local climbing wall.
I thought I got the size too small so I got a size up and returned the smaller size. Maybe these shoes are just sh!t. I guess I need to go drop a $100. I got these online. I should probably stop buying the x-tra large condoms just because they are on sale too. I just end up bagging leaves with them anyway.
It's not that they are too small, I think they may be too big because of that air pocket in the back. They are shaped like an severe arch. Who's foot is shaped like that? Maybe a chameleon.

bearbreeder

Dec 2, 2011, 7:58 PM
Post #10 of 22 (11848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the shoes simply didnt fit

the golden rule ... try yr shoes before buying ...

doesnt matter how much other people love em, or how cheap they are ... they need to fit yr foot

shockabuku

Dec 2, 2011, 7:59 PM
Post #11 of 22 (11847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the shoes actually fit you get used to it but it takes some time. Your shoes sound like they don't fit. Buying climbing shoes over the internet is a bad idea unless you've sized them elsewhere already. So go to Austin.

gunkiemike

Dec 2, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #12 of 22 (11805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] My shoes hurt, causes water to leak from my eyes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
RunRocket wrote:
I am a total noob when it comes to climbing. I bought some MadRock lace up hookers cause they were on sale. I have climbed this building across the street about 20 times. They hurt like a mutha. I can only wear them for 10 minutes at a time, then I have to take a break from my shoes! This is the only pair of climbing shoes I have ever owned and have no friends that climb. Is this normal?

Why does this keep coming up? It's a real simple concept - if your feet hurt and your shoes are painful, you cannot concentrate on climbing.

Answer - because there are bozos out there that say it's OK for them to hurt. Sadly, this includes some retail salespeople. That's why it's so important to buy from a decent store, where the people advising you know what they are talking about.

Nevertheless, the reply upthread that called too-tight-first-shoes a rite of passage pretty much hit it on the head.

RunRocket

Dec 2, 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #13 of 22 (11780 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] My shoes hurt, causes water to leak from my eyes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK I took a 7"disc sander to the hard rubber around the heel and sides of the shoe. They fit fine now. No pain. The rubber on the sides of the shoe was pulling hard on the ankle part on the back and forcing my toes into the front of the shoe. Now my toes are scrunched up and tight in the front but not so much that I start leaking testosterone from my eyes(they weren't tears after all)
They still have a weird air pocket in the heel, but the ankle fits tight.
At least I'll be able to use them now.

(This post was edited by RunRocket on Dec 2, 2011, 10:59 PM)

jeepnphreak

Dec 2, 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #14 of 22 (11773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RunRocket wrote:
They still have a weird air pocket in the heelAt least I'll be able to use them now.

They still don't fit well. Glad you figured out a liveable solution. Next shoe you buy should be comfortable snug and there should be no air pocket in the heel. Try looking at other brands, there is a big diffreence in how the different brands fit. I have little heels so I can not wear mad rock, evolve or 5.10. But LaSportiva and scapra fit well.

mikebee

Dec 2, 2011, 11:40 PM
Post #15 of 22 (11768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you bought some bad fitting shoes.

Go to a shop with knowledgable staff and ask their advice.
When they find you a pair of shoes that fit you well (you'll know), buy from the guy who helped fit you, don't bugger off and buy them online.

RunRocket

Dec 3, 2011, 1:22 AM
Post #16 of 22 (11755 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebee] My shoes hurt, causes water to leak from my eyes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did try on a pair of LaSportiva shoes that I really liked. But they were like $50 more than the madrock online.
Penny wise and pound foolish.

Partner rgold

Dec 3, 2011, 3:54 AM
Post #17 of 22 (11735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Water leaking from your eyes is nothing. Get back to us when you have blood leaking from your eyelets.

marc801

Dec 3, 2011, 3:45 PM
Post #18 of 22 (11697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RunRocket wrote:
They are shaped like an severe arch. Who's foot is shaped like that? Maybe a chameleon.
That shape is by design. When you put your foot in it, it wants to straighten out the shoe, thus the shoe becomes stiffer, forces an incredibly tight fit at the toes, and is very sensitive. Generally, downturned shoes are *not* beginner shoes because your feet aren't strong enough to put up with the abuse.

There are also a lot of climbers with significant foot problems that now need to wear shoes 3 sizes too big, thanks to trying to wear shoes too small and compressive.

Sheldon

Dec 3, 2011, 6:57 PM
Post #19 of 22 (11667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] My shoes hurt, causes water to leak from my eyes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
There are also a lot of climbers with significant foot problems that now need to wear shoes 3 sizes too big, thanks to trying to wear shoes too small and compressive.

Name two

marc801

Dec 3, 2011, 7:49 PM
Post #20 of 22 (11658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Sheldon] My shoes hurt, causes water to leak from my eyes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sheldon wrote:
marc801 wrote:

Name two
You wouldn't know them cause they're not big names and haven't been in any articles or comps. But offhand, I personally know of at least 8. A thread on this site from earlier this year alludes to the same thing:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=2474625

moose_droppings

Dec 3, 2011, 8:53 PM
Post #21 of 22 (11649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you get dressed on your own?

If not, tell the person dressing you to quit putting shoes on your your feet that are so tight that they are painful.

rsd212

Dec 5, 2011, 7:10 PM
Post #22 of 22 (11560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

RunRocket wrote:
I bought some MadRock lace up hookers cause they were on sale. )

Same deal for me with Madrock Hooker velcro a couple years back. On sale, seemed to fit (snug, but not painful), but I noticed there is was a ridge in the top of the toe box that jammed into the top of my toes. Couldn't do more than a couple goes on a boulder problem before it hurt. Turns out they're just an awful design.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook