Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jamesnater

Dec 1, 2011, 10:41 PM
Post #1 of 26 (28147 views)
Shortcut

What to do about sweaty hands
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm new to climbing (and to this forum).

I'm know this has been discussed many times already (I searched the forums) but haven't gotten a solid solution to my problem.

I have extremely sweaty palms, arm pits, and feet. The feet isn't so bad, I just spray air fresheners into my rock shoes when I'm done (still smells though haha) climbing. My armpits will typically DRIP sweat and will run down to my elbows, but again it isn't so bad because I just wipe it on my shirt. The problem is my hands, for obvious reasons.

I've tried liquid chalk. But after the very first bouldering problem at the gym OR outdoors, my palms are sweaty.

My problem is... I don't have medical insurance of any kind, so I can't see a doctor without money.

I have very little money. I don't have a home phone, cell phone, no internet (I'm using my work's internet), no cable, or even a car (my 1987 Subaru GL 3dr hatchback was stolen... recently... best car I've ever owned Frown)

So now that you understand my poor financial situation. What can I do about my sweaty palms??

(This post was edited by jamesnater on Dec 1, 2011, 10:42 PM)

rocknice2

Dec 1, 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #2 of 26 (28120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesnater] What to do about sweaty hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jamesnater wrote:
I'm new to climbing (and to this forum).

I'm know this has been discussed many times already (I searched the forums) but haven't gotten a solid solution to my problem.

I have extremely sweaty palms, arm pits, and feet. The feet isn't so bad, I just spray air fresheners into my rock shoes when I'm done (still smells though haha) climbing. My armpits will typically DRIP sweat and will run down to my elbows, but again it isn't so bad because I just wipe it on my shirt. The problem is my hands, for obvious reasons.

I've tried liquid chalk. But after the very first bouldering problem at the gym OR outdoors, my palms are sweaty.

My problem is... I don't have medical insurance of any kind, so I can't see a doctor without money.

I have very little money. I don't have a home phone, cell phone, no internet (I'm using my work's internet), no cable, or even a car (my 1987 Subaru GL 3dr hatchback was stolen... recently... best car I've ever owned Frown)

So now that you understand my poor financial situation. What can I do about my sweaty palms??

dancottle

Dec 1, 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #3 of 26 (28109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

super glue

jamesnater

Dec 1, 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #4 of 26 (28105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dancottle] What to do about sweaty hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lol

I kinda figured I'd be shit out of luck. I was hoping someone would know an old dirtbag trick, like pissing on your hands and letting them dry. (I just made that shit up, I've never done this, nor do I condone such acts...)

On the upside, I do think my sweaty hands are helping me get stronger faster... however everyone's gonna hate me @ the indoor climbing gym because I keep getting the holds soaked and slippery.

tolman_paul

Dec 2, 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #5 of 26 (28094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't sweat it. (sorry, coudn't resist)

Do your hands sweat all the time? It could just be a nervous condition that will go away as you get more comfortable climbing.

Sometimes simple works best, carry a dishrag to dry your hands off with.

damienclimber

Dec 2, 2011, 12:11 AM
Post #6 of 26 (28091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jamesnater wrote:
lol

I kinda figured I'd be shit out of luck. I was hoping someone would know an old dirtbag trick, like pissing on your hands and letting them dry. (I just made that shit up, I've never done this, nor do I condone such acts...)

On the upside, I do think my sweaty hands are helping me get stronger faster... however everyone's gonna hate me @ the indoor climbing gym because I keep getting the holds soaked and slippery.

MORE CHALK POWDER!

jamesnater

Dec 2, 2011, 12:46 AM
Post #7 of 26 (28073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] What to do about sweaty hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah they sweat most of the time. When I'm out in the dry cold and am outside, it's not so bad... actually my hands stay quite dry then.

But even inside, typing this in front of my work computer, my palms are glistening haha.

Good point on the nervousness though. Afterall I AM new, and whenever I go to the gym I tend to avoid crowds and boulder by myself. So I can't rule that out yet.

I go through A LOT of chalk, it'd just be more convenient to not have to chalk up every 2 moves. It's gotten old, quite fast.

tolman_paul

Dec 2, 2011, 12:49 AM
Post #8 of 26 (28068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard if you use an antipersperant spray on your hands it should reduce the sweatyness. Worth a try.

Caldwell

Dec 2, 2011, 2:05 AM
Post #9 of 26 (28050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are going to think I'm crazy, but I guarantee you that this will work. You can build this for less than $20:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc0pj2tf6_4&list=FL0fXsb3a7JX960JOLdkRuTA&index=8&feature=plpp_video

Do 2 treatments a day, for about 30 minutes each, and you'll see a noticeable difference within 2 weeks. After that, you can do fewer treatments.

You can also use this pre-climb: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015R4AUS/ref=oh_o02_s01_i00_details

And use this at night: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000052X8R/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

Eventually, your hands will stop sweating completely. But you have to be disciplined and keep up with the treatments, or the sweat will return.

sbaclimber

Dec 2, 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #10 of 26 (27979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone wrote an article about how he fixed this exact problem in the latest NZ Alpine Club mag (was a specific creme he used). I'll have a look when I get home this evening.

EDIT: found it! (it was the issue before last)
He uses Antihydral (otherwise known as "stump creme"). Dehydral is similar. Both have methenamine as the active ingredient.

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Dec 2, 2011, 7:16 PM)

jamesnater

Dec 2, 2011, 10:00 PM
Post #11 of 26 (27901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] What to do about sweaty hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Caldwell wrote:
You are going to think I'm crazy, but I guarantee you that this will work. You can build this for less than $20:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc0pj2tf6_4&list=FL0fXsb3a7JX960JOLdkRuTA&index=8&feature=plpp_video

Do 2 treatments a day, for about 30 minutes each, and you'll see a noticeable difference within 2 weeks. After that, you can do fewer treatments.

You can also use this pre-climb: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015R4AUS/ref=oh_o02_s01_i00_details

And use this at night: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000052X8R/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

Eventually, your hands will stop sweating completely. But you have to be disciplined and keep up with the treatments, or the sweat will return.

I've seen that specific youtube video before and was slightly skeptic about it. I just ordered the Antihydral cream that sbaclimber posted... if the Antihydral stuff doesn't work I'll try the battery method.

I REALLY hope this works. Apparently you can't buy it in the states unless you buy it online, which I did. Must be some good shit! haha.

Once I get it I'll report back if it actually works. And if there are any side effects.

donwanadi

Dec 2, 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #12 of 26 (27889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Certain Dri works well. Takes a week or so to start working. Put it on at night before bed. Read the directions.

jeepnphreak

Dec 2, 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #13 of 26 (27881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This... but with your hands not forearms. That should fix your sweating issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8K6qptvMq0

jamesnater

Dec 2, 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #14 of 26 (27873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] What to do about sweaty hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

^^LOL @ the quotes in your sig

DuckBeard

Dec 7, 2011, 1:22 AM
Post #15 of 26 (27674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Try pissing on your hands and then letting them dry. That's usually what works for me.

jae8908

Dec 7, 2011, 2:47 AM
Post #16 of 26 (27634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DuckBeard] What to do about sweaty hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DuckBeard wrote:
Try pissing on your hands and then letting them dry. That's usually what works for me.
Try this duckbeard. it works better. Piss in a cup, wash your mouth out with it, then spit it on your hands. Let us know how it works.

rsd212

Dec 7, 2011, 6:53 PM
Post #17 of 26 (27547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jae8908] What to do about sweaty hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you tried really aggressively washing your hands with cheap soap right before climbing? I was in a dart league, and while playing darts my mind would wander back to climbing (because lets face it, darts can get kinda boring), and my hands would sweat. Since I didnt have a chalk bag on me, I found I could go to the bathroom and scrub really hard with the neon green industrial-grade soap and I wouldnt sweat the rest of the night. I find I can do the same in the gym and not chalk up at all during warmup (unless, of course, some sweaty-handed fella comes along and greases up the start holds...)

redlude97

Dec 7, 2011, 7:14 PM
Post #18 of 26 (27539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not exactly a cure, but some people use rubbing alcohol prior to climbing and that helps to really dry out the hands.

DuckBeard

Dec 7, 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #19 of 26 (27493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jae8908] What to do about sweaty hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jae8908 wrote:
DuckBeard wrote:
Try this duckbeard. it works better. Piss in a cup, wash your mouth out with it, then spit it on your hands. Let us know how it works.
That's just disgusting.

damienclimber

Dec 7, 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #20 of 26 (27482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jamesnater wrote:
Caldwell wrote:

I've seen that specific youtube video before and was slightly skeptic about it. I just ordered the Antihydral cream that sbaclimber posted... if the Antihydral stuff doesn't work I'll try the battery method.

I REALLY hope this works. Apparently you can't buy it in the states unless you buy it online, which I did. Must be some good shit! haha.

Once I get it I'll report back if it actually works. And if there are any side effects.

Maybe your hands are sweaty from doing it too much!

jamesnater

Dec 8, 2011, 8:19 PM
Post #21 of 26 (27415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] What to do about sweaty hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The tube of antihydral came in. I'm gonna test it out today. I'll let you guys know how it works.

I'm glad it came with english instructions, the tube has german all over it.

jamesnater

Dec 15, 2011, 10:36 PM
Post #22 of 26 (27245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Antihydral doesn't work. My palm sweat just beads up on top of the stuff. I used it for 3 days.

I'm just gonna deal with it for now.

noahfor

Dec 17, 2011, 4:40 AM
Post #23 of 26 (27149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember seeing a news story a long time ago about doctors using bee stings to stop people's hands from sweating. I'm completely serious and not doing one of the "piss on your hands jokes." I saw the story way before I started climbing so I didn't really pay attention to the details when I saw it. I've since tried looking into it, but couldn't find any info.

noahfor

Dec 17, 2011, 4:43 AM
Post #24 of 26 (27148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noahfor] What to do about sweaty hands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Although drinking a delicious cup of tea might help you forget about your problem for a bit, the real solution is to soak your hands and feet in the tasty beverage. Black tea contains a compound known as tannic acid which basically works like a good antiperspirant. Add five tea bags to one quart of boiling water and prepare just like ordinary tea then soak your hands and/or feet in the liquid for about 30 minutes every night. This can be particularly useful if your condition isn’t severe enough to warrant surgery or medications but annoying enough to call for some type of action."

LostinMaine

Dec 17, 2011, 8:41 AM
Post #25 of 26 (26663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Find a bucket. Fill it with water. Dips hands in. Remove and let dry. Once dry, put your hands back in the water. Remove and let dry. Literally, rise and repeat for an hour each day. It is preferable to let your hands also get cold. Do this, and your hands will be splitting from being so dry after a short time. Just ask anyone who has ever had to milk cows in the winter...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook