Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

6pacfershur

Dec 2, 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #102 of 111 (2272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Lichenness Stripped of Bolts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:
IMHO, any time i hear someone say that "climbing this/that is boring", even some goofy TR, i think they have lost sight of the simple fact that its supposed to be fun........simple, mad fun

If its boring, its not fun.

"fun comes from the inside, it isnt about what we actually do" marge simpson....you can go back to your cube now

sungam

Dec 3, 2011, 1:56 AM
Post #103 of 111 (2264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] Lichenness Stripped of Bolts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:
IMHO, any time i hear someone say that "climbing this/that is boring", even some goofy TR, i think they have lost sight of the simple fact that its supposed to be fun........simple, mad fun

If its boring, its not fun.

"fun comes from the inside, it isnt about what we actually do" marge simpson....you can go back to your cube now
If it is boring, it is not fun.

petsfed

Dec 3, 2011, 9:15 AM
Post #104 of 111 (2238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fluffybynomeans] Lichenness Stripped of Bolts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

fluffybynomeans wrote:
Why the heck is everyone into taking short cuts?

Because not everyone climbs for the same reasons anymore? I've said this already, if your end goal is to focus on the movement without actively worrying about the risk, or the position, why should the path to get there involve both? Climbers haven't had a uniform notion of what their sport was about since the 70s. Insisting that we should is impressively, stupidly, optimistic about how easy it is to change people's minds.

donald949

Dec 5, 2011, 8:35 AM
Post #105 of 111 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fluffybynomeans] Lichenness Stripped of Bolts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fluffybynomeans wrote:
What if you are TR'ing it from the 8th pitch mate? Someone has to lead it.
You're goning to need a bigger rope.

Claymsmith

Feb 17, 2012, 2:32 PM
Post #106 of 111 (2039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Lichenness Stripped of Bolts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Damn, apparently I started a fire.

Anyway with the park being built I've been informed that people cutting bolts will be regarded as vandals. So basically the cops are going to get involved. I'm not sure what that means for bolting new routes or replacing bolts. Misty is missing one now, although I think it makes it more interesting.

Next: Chopping bolts is a dick move. People get cut and hurt on badly chopped bolts. Don't want to sport climb it? Dont! The bolts are not placed the same way trad gear is. Its not in your way. And please, please don't leave a bolt 80% cut through for someone to die on. Unsafe bolts are a different matter, cut them if you can.

Chopping routes is kinda of like a hipster murdering their favorite band so no one else will hear about them. If you're rocking 5.12 trad routes you're already badass. You don't need to degrade the experience for everyone else or be an elitest prick.

Sandrock is pretty massive, we can all get along. At the end of the day its about how much you enjoyed the climb, not what the grade was or how you did it. If you want to swing dicks about being a trad climber or the best boulder guy or whatever, then I really feel for you. You're clearly not getting any enjoyment out of the climb itself.

All that being said, if I come across someone chopping bolts I'm pretty much just going to take your picture and call the cops. I hope the $1000 min fine is worth it.

Edit: Note about unsafe bolts.

(This post was edited by Claymsmith on Feb 17, 2012, 2:34 PM)

jae8908

Feb 17, 2012, 10:03 PM
Post #107 of 111 (1995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Claymsmith] Lichenness Stripped of Bolts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Claymsmith wrote:
Damn, apparently I started a fire.

Anyway with the park being built I've been informed that people cutting bolts will be regarded as vandals. So basically the cops are going to get involved. I'm not sure what that means for bolting new routes or replacing bolts. Misty is missing one now, although I think it makes it more interesting.

Next: Chopping bolts is a dick move. People get cut and hurt on badly chopped bolts. Don't want to sport climb it? Dont! The bolts are not placed the same way trad gear is. Its not in your way. And please, please don't leave a bolt 80% cut through for someone to die on. Unsafe bolts are a different matter, cut them if you can.

Chopping routes is kinda of like a hipster murdering their favorite band so no one else will hear about them. If you're rocking 5.12 trad routes you're already badass. You don't need to degrade the experience for everyone else or be an elitest prick.

Sandrock is pretty massive, we can all get along. At the end of the day its about how much you enjoyed the climb, not what the grade was or how you did it. If you want to swing dicks about being a trad climber or the best boulder guy or whatever, then I really feel for you. You're clearly not getting any enjoyment out of the climb itself.

All that being said, if I come across someone chopping bolts I'm pretty much just going to take your picture and call the cops. I hope the $1000 min fine is worth it.

Edit: Note about unsafe bolts.
This is good for Sandrock. There has been lots of negative stuff go on there for years. Hopefully with the park and all it will straighten up a little.

jae8908

Jul 21, 2012, 2:04 PM
Post #108 of 111 (1780 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Licheness has been rebolted thanks to Johnny Arms.

Claymsmith

Oct 12, 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #109 of 111 (1618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jae8908] Lichenness Stripped of Bolts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome news. Very grateful. I was considering re-bolting it but while I *technically* know how to set bolts, I'm not comfortable enough to trust someone else's life to it.

tradmanclimbs

Oct 16, 2012, 8:09 PM
Post #110 of 111 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

WOW! I never knew this before but aparently John Wesly is in fact one of the most stunningly arogant asswhipes on the internetCrazy
the Internet is a pretty darn big place so that is quite an accomplishment.

This is my take on bolted climbs. Not every place has an abundance of gear protected climbs. If everywhere was a Seneca, Lindvile, Gunks or indian creek etc I could understand the anti bolt attitude. the reality of life however is that some places have very few to zero decently protected climbs without bolts. For someone to come out and declare that those areas should not have any climbs under 5.10 is pretty fucking arogant INMOP

(This post was edited by tradmanclimbs on Oct 17, 2012, 4:19 AM)

Kartessa

Oct 20, 2012, 12:04 AM
Post #111 of 111 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Lichenness Stripped of Bolts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
WOW! I never knew this before but aparently John Wesly is in fact one of the most stunningly arogant asswhipes on the internetCrazy

It's spelled "Arrogant Asswipe"

But good on you for trying Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$76.46 (10% off)
$197.06 (10% off)
$144.71 (10% off)