Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
I'll bet you $10,000
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

 


traddad


Dec 11, 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #1 of 22 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

I'll bet you $10,000
Report this Post
Can't Post

...er, no I won't. That's over 25% of my annual gross income, 85% of my house payments for a year and more than both of our cars put together. Yeah, Mitt Romney, man of the people....the rich people.


notapplicable


Dec 11, 2011, 2:28 PM
Post #2 of 22 (1494 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17752

Re: [traddad] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I seem to remember an incident where a kid gave him a piece of origami folded from a dollar bill and Mitt tried to pay him back but couldn't find anything but $100's in his wallet. He should know by now that this kind of thing don't go over well with some people.

Of course most everybody who spends more than a few years in Washington ends up being worth at least a few million so it's really not a big deal. Or anything new.


pinktricam


Dec 11, 2011, 5:11 PM
Post #3 of 22 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 7947

Re: [traddad] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Amen.


guangzhou


Dec 11, 2011, 5:38 PM
Post #4 of 22 (1471 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3388

Re: [traddad] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I wouldn't want someone who was not financially successful running America.


lena_chita
Moderator

Dec 11, 2011, 6:03 PM
Post #5 of 22 (1466 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 5460

Re: [guangzhou] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't want someone who was not financially successful running America.

Considering what it takes to become a president of this country, anyone who makes it into the running is financially "successful".

But running a country is quite different than running a corporation.

I do not see how a corporate background is any more advantageous in a candidate than, say, law background.


veganclimber


Dec 11, 2011, 6:11 PM
Post #6 of 22 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [guangzhou] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't want someone who was not financially successful running America.

Why?


traddad


Dec 12, 2011, 5:32 AM
Post #7 of 22 (1435 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

Re: [lena_chita] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't want someone who was not financially successful running America.

Snip

But running a country is quite completely different than running a corporation.

I do not see how a corporate background is any more advantageous in a candidate than, say, law background.

Fixt.


ubu


Dec 12, 2011, 6:35 AM
Post #8 of 22 (1426 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 17, 2008
Posts: 1476

Re: [guangzhou] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't want someone who was not financially successful running America.

Taking your comments on various recent threads as a whole, you strike me as the classic case of someone who things financial "success" is an end in itself, rather than a (sufficient but in no way necessary) means to an end.


curt


Dec 12, 2011, 7:22 AM
Post #9 of 22 (1416 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 26, 2002
Posts: 18226

Re: [veganclimber] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't want someone who was not financially successful running America.

Why?

Because he obviously confuses financial success with intelligence and/or ability.

Curt


traddad


Dec 12, 2011, 8:02 AM
Post #10 of 22 (1402 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

Re: [curt] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
veganclimber wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't want someone who was not financially successful running America.

Why?

Because he obviously confuses financial success with intelligence and/or ability.

Curt

...But it's not as if the guy in the center idolized money or anything...


...of course, for some, money trumps everything.


rmsusa


Dec 12, 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #11 of 22 (1385 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 24, 2004
Posts: 1017

Re: [lena_chita] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I do not see how a corporate background is any more advantageous....

He said "financially successful" not corporate. "Financially successful" doesn't require a corporate background. It does require having been successful at something.

I'd like to see financial success, demonstrating an ability to work within the economy. I'd add success running a large organization to my list of desireables.


(This post was edited by rmsusa on Dec 12, 2011, 10:23 AM)


Allfred


Dec 12, 2011, 10:29 AM
Post #12 of 22 (1376 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 29, 2011
Posts: 418

Re: [rmsusa] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:
I do not see how a corporate background is any more advantageous

That's not what he said. "financially successful" doesn't require a corporate background. It does require having been successful at something

That seems like a reasonable qualification.

I'm voting for Margaret Cargill.

In reply to:
Margaret Cargill, who never worked at Cargill and never married, grew up in Minnesota and Wisconsin before settling in Southern California, where she took up weaving and working with fabrics.

Before she died at age 85 in 2006, she was one of America's richest women

http://www.startribune.com/....html?page=1&c=y

Crap she died. She would have made a great president though cause she was born to the right family financially successful and was worth a few billion $ (8 billion I think.) And she knew about weaving and working with fabrics.


Partner j_ung


Dec 12, 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #13 of 22 (1358 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [traddad] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
...er, no I won't. That's over 25% of my annual gross income, 85% of my house payments for a year and more than both of our cars put together. Yeah, Mitt Romney, man of the people....the rich people.

In many ways, Romney's candidacy reminds me of John Kerry's.


traddad


Dec 12, 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #14 of 22 (1355 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

Re: [j_ung] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
traddad wrote:
...er, no I won't. That's over 25% of my annual gross income, 85% of my house payments for a year and more than both of our cars put together. Yeah, Mitt Romney, man of the people....the rich people.

In many ways, Romney's candidacy reminds me of John Kerry's.

Agreed. While I voted for Kerry and even worked for him, it was more of an anti Bush rather than a pro Kerry stance.


guangzhou


Dec 12, 2011, 5:22 PM
Post #15 of 22 (1334 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3388

Re: [ubu] I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't want someone who was not financially successful running America.

Taking your comments on various recent threads as a whole, you strike me as the classic case of someone who things financial "success" is an end in itself, rather than a (sufficient but in no way necessary) means to an end.

Not really sure what your comment means in this case.


guangzhou


Dec 12, 2011, 5:40 PM
Post #16 of 22 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3388

Re:I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I said financially successful, didn't say anything about being rich. Although good luck getting elected if you're not rich.

I think how a person handles their personal finances, if they own a company how they handle those, are an important component of the equation.

Financially successful doesn't mean making millions of dollars any more than it means giving most of your money to charity. Financially successful, at the end of the day means having you modern version of a check book balanced, not being debt ridden, and having what ever debt you do have well under control.

Financially successful is understand that money isn't the most important thing, but it's a pretty important thing when running the United States. It's being able to know what you know about finances and the economy and knowing when you need to turn to experts and advisers for advice.

Being financially success means you know when to to support something with your money because it's working, and when to cut it because regardless of how good the cause is suppose to be.

Yes, I support the current tax code for the rich. I would like to see welfare and other aid programs overalled. (Didn't say cut, said overalled)

No, I don't believe taking from those that have to give to those who don't has being the solution. I do believe the 99% of people legally living in America can honestly be financially secure.

People love to say the rich are abusing the system, but only 2% of the poor are abusing the system. If the system is being abused, y the rich or the poor, both should be penalized. If the system is being used properly and legally by either the rich or the poor, I support that.

Many of you condemn the tax cuts tot he rich, yet how many of you can name five tax cuts the rich get for personal taxes without leaving this post and doing a search? Again, I doubt most?

How many of you are taking full advantage of your tax breaks, maybe half?

Take a look at what the rich are doing in the way of Philanthropy with their money, many of them never seeking out much covering unless it supports a cause.

I support big Business because they employ a lot of people and keep the economy moving.
I support small and medium business because of the same reason.
I don't support increased taxes on the rich just because they have more money.
I support unemployment, welfare, free-lunch programs and ton more social welfare programs, but I don't blindly believe everyone in the system is doing their best to get out of it.

Financial success isn't about how much money someone has, it's about how well they mange the assets and money they do have. Plenty of very rich people are not financially successful in my book, and plenty of people living on the low end of middle class America are very financial successful.

Eman


veganclimber


Dec 12, 2011, 7:01 PM
Post #17 of 22 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [guangzhou] Re:I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
I said financially successful, didn't say anything about being rich. Although good luck getting elected if you're not rich.

I think how a person handles their personal finances, if they own a company how they handle those, are an important component of the equation.

Financially successful doesn't mean making millions of dollars any more than it means giving most of your money to charity. Financially successful, at the end of the day means having you modern version of a check book balanced, not being debt ridden, and having what ever debt you do have well under control.

I'm not sure these apply to Romney. He made a lot of money buying companies and driving them into bankruptcy. He and his friends got rich while a lot of people lost their jobs. Pretty much what I expect to see on a wider scale if he is elected.

In reply to:
No, I don't believe taking from those that have to give to those who don't has being the solution. I do believe the 99% of people legally living in America can honestly be financially secure.

How can you be financially secure when you have been unemployed for a long period of time? How can you be secure when the cost of education and medicine are growing exponentially, while wages are remaining stagnant or falling? The middle class is rapidly disappearing. How can you not see this?

In reply to:
People love to say the rich are abusing the system, but only 2% of the poor are abusing the system. If the system is being abused, y the rich or the poor, both should be penalized. If the system is being used properly and legally by either the rich or the poor, I support that.

I'm pretty sure these large corporations that pay no taxes are doing so legally. They aren't abusing the system. They, by lobbying our corrupt congress, created the system.


guangzhou


Dec 13, 2011, 5:44 PM
Post #18 of 22 (1262 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3388

Re: [veganclimber] Re:I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I said financially successful, didn't say anything about being rich. Although good luck getting elected if you're not rich.

I think how a person handles their personal finances, if they own a company how they handle those, are an important component of the equation.

Financially successful doesn't mean making millions of dollars any more than it means giving most of your money to charity. Financially successful, at the end of the day means having you modern version of a check book balanced, not being debt ridden, and having what ever debt you do have well under control.

In reply to:
I'm not sure these apply to Romney. He made a lot of money buying companies and driving them into bankruptcy. He and his friends got rich while a lot of people lost their jobs. Pretty much what I expect to see on a wider scale if he is elected.

I never mentioned any candidates, so not sure how you linked my comment to Romney.

In reply to:
No, I don't believe taking from those that have to give to those who don't has being the solution. I do believe the 99% of people legally living in America can honestly be financially secure.

In reply to:
How can you be financially secure when you have been unemployed for a long period of time? How can you be secure when the cost of education and medicine are growing exponentially, while wages are remaining stagnant or falling? The middle class is rapidly disappearing. How can you not see this?

Middle Class Rapidly Disappearing, funny. How, by making use of the program available to pay for education. By getting a degree in something useful and needed instead of what you think should be needed. Already spoke about ways to help with medical in other post, so I'll pass on it now.

Unemployed is one thing, but plenty of employed people are not being budget conscious. Instead, they take out loans to pay for things they will never use or need. (A college education in a degree that's useless for example.)

In reply to:
People love to say the rich are abusing the system, but only 2% of the poor are abusing the system. If the system is being abused, y the rich or the poor, both should be penalized. If the system is being used properly and legally by either the rich or the poor, I support that.

In reply to:
I'm pretty sure these large corporations that pay no taxes are doing so legally. They aren't abusing the system. They, by lobbying our corrupt congress, created the system.

Again, I am pretty sure the same amount of people are at the bottom collecting services they shouldn't be. For every company that abuses the system, they are dozens who don't.

Companies like Walmart, GE, Citi Group and other corporation so many here condemn are the largest employers in the United states.

Maybe the reason tax breaks haven't gone away for 30 years is because people who understand and know the system better than any of us on this site see how much those tax breaks help our economy.


Toast_in_the_Machine


Dec 13, 2011, 5:48 PM
Post #19 of 22 (1262 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [guangzhou] Re:I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
People love to say the rich are abusing the system, but only 2% of the poor are abusing the system. If the system is being abused, y the rich or the poor, both should be penalized. If the system is being used properly and legally by either the rich or the poor, I support that.

Less than 5 minutes on google and I can show you what is wrong with America.

Meet Nevin Shapiro: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...candal_n_928862.html

In reply to:
Shapiro was sentenced in June to 20 years in prison for masterminding a $930 million Ponzi scheme, plus ordered to pay more than $82 million in restitution to investors.

Meet Carolyn Denise Goode: http://www.gazettevirginian.com/...elfare-fraud-charges

In reply to:
A 39-year-old South Boston woman was sentenced Thursday in Halifax County Circuit Court to a 120-year-suspended sentence for eight charges related to welfare fraud

Seriously? Sure the South Boston woman got it suspended. But ?


guangzhou


Dec 13, 2011, 6:33 PM
Post #20 of 22 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3388

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Re:I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
guangzhou wrote:
People love to say the rich are abusing the system, but only 2% of the poor are abusing the system. If the system is being abused, y the rich or the poor, both should be penalized. If the system is being used properly and legally by either the rich or the poor, I support that.

Less than 5 minutes on google and I can show you what is wrong with America.

Meet Nevin Shapiro: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...candal_n_928862.html

In reply to:
Shapiro was sentenced in June to 20 years in prison for masterminding a $930 million Ponzi scheme, plus ordered to pay more than $82 million in restitution to investors.

Meet Carolyn Denise Goode: http://www.gazettevirginian.com/...elfare-fraud-charges

In reply to:
A 39-year-old South Boston woman was sentenced Thursday in Halifax County Circuit Court to a 120-year-suspended sentence for eight charges related to welfare fraud

Seriously? Sure the South Boston woman got it suspended. But ?

I know people can tell me all of the world's problems here with just a quick google search. That's most likely how 90% of the comments in soapbox get here.

In the case above, I think those are good example of justice at work. Both committed fraud. Both were found guilty, both received a penalty worthy of their crime.

She got a suspended sentenced he didn't.


veganclimber


Dec 13, 2011, 7:31 PM
Post #21 of 22 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 17, 2005
Posts: 2775

Re: [guangzhou] Re:I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
In reply to:
I said financially successful, didn't say anything about being rich. Although good luck getting elected if you're not rich.

I think how a person handles their personal finances, if they own a company how they handle those, are an important component of the equation.

Financially successful doesn't mean making millions of dollars any more than it means giving most of your money to charity. Financially successful, at the end of the day means having you modern version of a check book balanced, not being debt ridden, and having what ever debt you do have well under control.

In reply to:
I'm not sure these apply to Romney. He made a lot of money buying companies and driving them into bankruptcy. He and his friends got rich while a lot of people lost their jobs. Pretty much what I expect to see on a wider scale if he is elected.

I never mentioned any candidates, so not sure how you linked my comment to Romney.

Well, the thread was about Romney being extremely rich. Your comment suggested that you didn't have a problem with it, or saw his success as an advantage.

In reply to:
In reply to:
No, I don't believe taking from those that have to give to those who don't has being the solution. I do believe the 99% of people legally living in America can honestly be financially secure.

In reply to:
How can you be financially secure when you have been unemployed for a long period of time? How can you be secure when the cost of education and medicine are growing exponentially, while wages are remaining stagnant or falling? The middle class is rapidly disappearing. How can you not see this?

Middle Class Rapidly Disappearing, funny.

Tragic, actually.

In reply to:
How, by making use of the program available to pay for education. By getting a degree in something useful and needed instead of what you think should be needed. Already spoke about ways to help with medical in other post, so I'll pass on it now.

Unemployed is one thing, but plenty of employed people are not being budget conscious. Instead, they take out loans to pay for things they will never use or need. (A college education in a degree that's useless for example.)

It wasn't that long ago that you could work your way through college with a minimum wage job. Now college costs have risen dramatically, while minimum wage has fallen (after adjusting for inflation). The only way for most people to get a degree now is by taking on significant debt. Health care costs continue to rise, and will continue to do so despite your ideas to lower cost. Wages are not keeping up with inflation. Job security is virtually gone.

In reply to:
In reply to:
People love to say the rich are abusing the system, but only 2% of the poor are abusing the system. If the system is being abused, y the rich or the poor, both should be penalized. If the system is being used properly and legally by either the rich or the poor, I support that.

In reply to:
I'm pretty sure these large corporations that pay no taxes are doing so legally. They aren't abusing the system. They, by lobbying our corrupt congress, created the system.

Again, I am pretty sure the same amount of people are at the bottom collecting services they shouldn't be. For every company that abuses the system, they are dozens who don't.

Companies like Walmart, GE, Citi Group and other corporation so many here condemn are the largest employers in the United states.

How do you define abusing the system? Was GE abusing the system when they paid nothing in taxes?

In reply to:
Maybe the reason tax breaks haven't gone away for 30 years is because people who understand and know the system better than any of us on this site see how much those tax breaks help our economy.

Then those people are fucking idiots.


Attachments: federal-debt-tax-brackets.gif (59.9 KB)


guangzhou


Dec 13, 2011, 7:55 PM
Post #22 of 22 (1243 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Posts: 3388

Re:I'll bet you $10,000 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like politics and the economy, this is just going around in circles with no real solutions being proposed.

Think I'll move on and spend my time more wisely, like deciding what feature my new 15 to 20 pitch route will follow.

Cheers
Thanks for the discussion, but getting a bit bored of people, myself included, repeating the same things.


Forums : Community : The Soap Box

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook