Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Beginners traveling Malaysia - Where to climb/boulder?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

buebo

Dec 11, 2011, 1:00 PM
Post #1 of 9 (6898 views)
Shortcut

Beginners traveling Malaysia - Where to climb/boulder?  (Asia: Malaysia)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
my girlfriend and me will be travelling Malaysia for about four weeks including xmas and new years eve.

We just discovered that there's actually quite a bit of climbing to be done. We are both still beginners, fairly comfortable in Routes between UIAA 5 to 6 (I guess that puts us around 5.7 to 5.10a in the US). We do lead climbing, but have only ever done bolted routes - no trad climbing.

Now the question is where to go to get some climbing done and what to bring? If possible we'd like to travel light, maybe bring a harness, shoes, chalk and if necessary a few quickdraws. I would definitely like to leave the rope at home.

On the other hand we wouldn't be opposed to join something like a guided tour as long it's not a total newbie thing or just rent a crashpad or a rope somewhere locally.

At the moment I'm just fishing for information, since here in Germany there's not much available in terms of guidebooks and most of the English language information you get on the web seems to be quite outdated.

So far we have a flight to sabah planed and not much else, so we are fairly flexible. Cool

So if anybody could point us the right direction or has some knowledgeable local contacts, that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

wrbill

Dec 11, 2011, 1:07 PM
Post #2 of 9 (6892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [buebo] Beginners traveling Malaysia - Where to climb/boulder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Send "guangzhou" a PM, he lives in Malaysia and would be able to help you. He will most likely reply to your post.

Have fun on your trip and climb safe!

guangzhou

Dec 12, 2011, 1:36 AM
Post #3 of 9 (6843 views)
Shortcut

Re: [buebo] Beginners traveling Malaysia - Where to climb/boulder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

buebo wrote:
Hi,
my girlfriend and me will be travelling Malaysia for about four weeks including xmas and new years eve.

We just discovered that there's actually quite a bit of climbing to be done. We are both still beginners, fairly comfortable in Routes between UIAA 5 to 6 (I guess that puts us around 5.7 to 5.10a in the US). We do lead climbing, but have only ever done bolted routes - no trad climbing.

Now the question is where to go to get some climbing done and what to bring? If possible we'd like to travel light, maybe bring a harness, shoes, chalk and if necessary a few quickdraws. I would definitely like to leave the rope at home.

On the other hand we wouldn't be opposed to join something like a guided tour as long it's not a total newbie thing or just rent a crashpad or a rope somewhere locally.

At the moment I'm just fishing for information, since here in Germany there's not much available in terms of guidebooks and most of the English language information you get on the web seems to be quite outdated.

So far we have a flight to sabah planed and not much else, so we are fairly flexible. Cool

So if anybody could point us the right direction or has some knowledgeable local contacts, that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Morning, I live in Indonesia, not Malaysia, but I can understand the confusion.

If you're flying into Sabah, contact Simon, he is very active and helpful. Also the main person pushing to develop the climbing in the area.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...oor_Climbing_Centre/

His contact in his at the link above on this site.

The best developed area otherwise is Batu Cave outside of KL. Plenty of routes in the range you're looking for there and very easy to access via public transportation for sure. Nice limestone, routes up to three pitches.

Penang, a place vacationers often stop at, has an old quarry with about seven route. Mostly 5.9 to 5.10 on crimpy granite.

Those are the main areas I recommend unless you'll have a car while there.

Equipment, going to Malaysia without a rope is a good way to almost guarantee you won't get any climbing done. 60 meter rope and 12 to 18 quick-draws are a needed for sure.

Hope that helps.

wrbill

Dec 12, 2011, 6:04 AM
Post #4 of 9 (6824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Beginners traveling Malaysia - Where to climb/boulder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

EMan,
Sorry about that, forgot that your in Indonesia, not Malaysia. I know that you have talked about Malaysia before that is why I gave your name for them to contact you. Oh, your gym looks good and it sounds like everything is going good.

Climb safe,
Bill

guangzhou

Dec 12, 2011, 8:55 AM
Post #5 of 9 (6818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wrbill] Beginners traveling Malaysia - Where to climb/boulder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No worries Bill. Maybe I'll get to Philippines in 2013.

rtwilli4

Dec 12, 2011, 1:40 PM
Post #6 of 9 (6803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Beginners traveling Malaysia - Where to climb/boulder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
No worries Bill. Maybe I'll get to Philippines in 2013.

+1
The climbing in Cebu looks sick! Is that where you are bill? My wife and I want to get back to the Philippines to visit her family.

OP, I can recommend not to go to Bukit Keteri. The published topos say there are easy routes there but they are sharp and dirty. If you end up with a rope gun though, head north and hit that place up because the moderate and hard routes are amazing.

buebo

Dec 14, 2011, 7:51 AM
Post #7 of 9 (6757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Guangzhou and all the rest,
thanks for all the quick replys. I was kinda afraid I absolutely needed to bring the rope.

I think I just pack the backpack and see how much space and weight is left. We have a few Air Asia flights before us and they seem to be quite strict on additional weight.

I'll probably just bring the bare essentials for bouldering plus my harness and see if I can hit up something local, after all we are not going on a climbing on holiday, it would just be something cool to do somewhere.

If it's not happening, more scubadiving Laugh

qwert

Dec 14, 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #8 of 9 (6751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just came back from malaysia yesterday.

You cant climb there!

there might be rocks (actually the hills behind KL look mighty tempting) and routes, but the weather makes anything short of lying down flat and breathing near impossible, so a strenuous activity like climbing is suicide!

Maybe check out Mount kinabalu. Given that it is over 4000m high, there you might find temperatures that enable survival when moving, though that is on Borneo.

AirAsia and lots of baggage:
Normally you are supposed to only bring hand luggage thats under 7kg per person and "small backpack sized", so anything more than 2 days worth of city or beach trip "gear" is really hard to fit in. If you show up with more at the airport it gets really expensive! Though you can book extra luggage in advance (i think they call it "super size my baggage" on their website) the rates look quite ok (you probably still pay more for your luggage than you pay for your seat, but given that you can easily get seats for under 20$, that isnt that bad).

qwert

borneo4x4

Jan 19, 2012, 10:32 AM
Post #9 of 9 (6399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Beginners traveling Malaysia - Where to climb/boulder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there are considerable climbing in malaysia. look up the climbing routes in this website. there's batu caves, ipoh has a site that the mammut team bolted and then there's bau- a place outside of Kuching, Sarawak in east malaysia. the batman wall was featured in rock and ice as one of the world's top 9 exotic destinations to climb at. this is our 'home' wall.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook