Premier Sponsor:

traddad

Dec 15, 2011, 5:37 AM
Post #1 of 15 (1418 views)
Shortcut

I'm so mad I could just shit.
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been watching the negotiations on the extension of the payroll tax cut. The current cut partially makes up for the ~10% cut in pay I've taken by mandate of our Republican dominated state legislature. This hurts for two reasons: First, I haven't had a raise in ten years that came anywhere near to the inflation rate. Second, they took away merit pay that I had earned.
I knew the Dems were weak and scared shitless by the possibility of losing their corporate doners but the possibility that they may snatch defeat from the jaws of victory YET ANOTHER TIME makes me want to hurl.
This about sums up my feelings:

TBogg wrote:
Despite polls showing that the public is overwhelmingly on board with raising taxes on millionaires, they promptly rolled over on their backs and piddled on their bellies when push came to shove.

"In what would be a major concession, President Obama and Senate Democrats will drop their insistence that a surtax on millionaires pay for extending the payroll tax cut, a Democratic source tells CNN. This would be part of a new Democratic offer."

Why are the Dems pissing themselves and letting the R-thugs dominance-hump them when this is the case:
In reply to:
In the most recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll, 76 percent agreed and 60 percent strongly agreed that “The current economic structure of the country is out of balance and favors a very small proportion of the rich over the rest of the country. America needs to reduce the power of major banks and corporations and demand greater accountability and transparency. The government should not provide financial aid to corporations and should not provide tax breaks to the rich.”

The only thing I can think of is that...shit, I got nothing. I'm leaving the Party.

lena_chita

Dec 15, 2011, 6:52 AM
Post #2 of 15 (1405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] I'm so mad I could just shit. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with you!

As I was contemplating my medical insurance choices last month for the coming year, I kept coming back to "DAMN you guys, for giving in on the public option."

And now with the payroll tax cut extension, it is going to be the same thing.

Allfred

Dec 15, 2011, 7:23 AM
Post #3 of 15 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is just like a year ago when they renewed the Bush tax cuts; with Obama backing off of letting them expire for the wealthy. Had he showed some balls then, things would be different now.

traddad

Dec 15, 2011, 7:26 AM
Post #4 of 15 (1387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Allfred] I'm so mad I could just shit. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Allfred wrote:
This is just like a year ago when they renewed the Bush tax cuts; with Obama backing off of letting them expire for the wealthy. Had he showed some balls then, things would be different now.

If Obama's a Liberal, he's pretty fucking bad at it.

traddad

Dec 15, 2011, 7:32 AM
Post #5 of 15 (1385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and then there's this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/...ncrease-america-ceos

In reply to:
While the incomes of so many Americans remain the same size or get smaller, corporate chiefs can't say they're suffering in quite the same way.

American CEOs saw pay increases of between 27 and 40 percent last year, according to a GovernanceMetrics International survey cited by the Guardian. In addition, the median value of CEOs profits on stock options jumped to $1.3 million from $950,400 -- a 70 percent boost.

Wow...with all that extra income you'd think the Job Creators would be creating....well....jobs.

donwanadi

Dec 15, 2011, 8:32 AM
Post #6 of 15 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
addition, the median value of CEOs profits on stock options jumped to $1.3 million from $950,400 -- a 70 percent boost.

Ummm......

traddad

Dec 15, 2011, 8:42 AM
Post #7 of 15 (1369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donwanadi] I'm so mad I could just shit. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh...noticed that. Some people need to go back to math class.

curt

Dec 15, 2011, 10:56 AM
Post #8 of 15 (1349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
and then there's this:

In reply to:
While the incomes of so many Americans remain the same size or get smaller, corporate chiefs can't say they're suffering in quite the same way.

American CEOs saw pay increases of between 27 and 40 percent last year, according to a GovernanceMetrics International survey cited by the Guardian. In addition, the median value of CEOs profits on stock options jumped to $1.3 million from $950,400 -- a 70 percent boost.

Wow...with all that extra income you'd think the Job Creators would be creating....well....jobs.

Sorry, but that's not what they do.

http://finance.yahoo.com/...reate-152949393.html

Curt

traddad

Dec 15, 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #9 of 15 (1340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] I'm so mad I could just shit. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
traddad wrote:
and then there's this:

In reply to:
EDIT: He also pointed out that taxes had little or nothing to do with hiring practices. The market determins when you need to hire....and the market goes up when people can buy stuff.

Sorry, but that's not what they do.

http://finance.yahoo.com/...reate-152949393.html

Curt

I heard a great interview where a wealthy business owner stated something to the effect that (paraphrase) "If we continue to concentrate on hoarding wealth into fewer and fewer hands, there won't be anyone left with enough money to buy our products".
The wealthy in America: not even good parasites.

(This post was edited by traddad on Dec 15, 2011, 11:36 AM)

Partner j_ung

Dec 16, 2011, 6:15 AM
Post #10 of 15 (1278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] I'm so mad I could just shit. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I'm with you!

As I was contemplating my medical insurance choices last month for the coming year, I kept coming back to "DAMN you guys, for giving in on the public option."

And now with the payroll tax cut extension, it is going to be the same thing.

That's the ongoing saga of our lives, too. If everybody in the country had to shop their own insurance at individual rates and had to deal with all the bullshit surrounding pre-existing conditions, nobody—NOBODY—would be bitching about the health reform. 2014 can't get here soon enough.

traddad

Dec 16, 2011, 6:26 AM
Post #11 of 15 (1272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] I'm so mad I could just shit. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pew Research Poll:

In reply to:
The public is overwhelmingly critical of the fairness of the economic system. Most (77%) agree that there is too much power in the hands of a few rich people and corporations. And while a majority of Americans (58%) still say that “most people who want to get ahead can make it if they are willing to work hard,” this is lower than at any point since the question was first asked in 1994.

http://www.people-press.org/...reet-and-inequality/

curt

Dec 16, 2011, 8:59 AM
Post #12 of 15 (1257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
Pew Research Poll:

In reply to:
The public is overwhelmingly critical of the fairness of the economic system. Most (77%) agree that there is too much power in the hands of a few rich people and corporations. And while a majority of Americans (58%) still say that “most people who want to get ahead can make it if they are willing to work hard,” this is lower than at any point since the question was first asked in 1994.

And yet the Republicans currently control the US House of Representatives and have enough Senators to sustain a filibuster. It's absolutely amazing how many stupid people are out there--voting against their own best interests.

Curt

traddad

Dec 16, 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #13 of 15 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] I'm so mad I could just shit. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
traddad wrote:
Pew Research Poll:

In reply to:

And yet the Republicans currently control the US House of Representatives and have enough Senators to sustain a filibuster. It's absolutely amazing how many stupid people are out there--voting against their own best interests.

Curt
That's because the Republicans are the party of Baby Jesus and not of that KenyanMuslimTerrorist they all know is responsible for the building of the new $8 billion Abortionplex and that evil Brady gun law.
He's responsible for dental plaque also, too.

(This post was edited by traddad on Dec 16, 2011, 10:13 AM)

Partner cracklover

Dec 16, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #14 of 15 (1223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] I'm so mad I could just shit. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I'm with you!

+1

If the Dems cannot ride on the wave of OWS sentiment, they may have squandered the best chance they'll have in years (decades?) to fix the top tax bracket.

GO

calvo

Dec 31, 2011, 8:32 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1073 views)
Shortcut

Re: I'm so mad I could just shit. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where are all the Republican policies that actually have our countries future in mind? Democrats can be kind of nuts with their ideas, but honestly the GOP just loves blatant propaganda .. who are these people sucking it all in and voting for someone to ram them harder. Like my friend is Republican because hes becoming a lawyer and loves how they just fuck with it, and he wants in on the action. And like its cool, because hes just an asshole who can actually gain from terrible policy. I don't get why people want to desperately to soak in all this crap Crazy

Perhaps Obama has not done quite what he aimed for, but are Republicans trying to eliminate government involvement anyways.

But you all know this already lol .. I am just baffled by the lot who don't

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook