Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Powers.Goldwire

Dec 14, 2011, 9:15 PM
Post #1 of 66 (19908 views)
Shortcut

Thermonuclear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has any one attempted the 5.13A roof crack in Dawson Bluff, KY? Its supposably the 10th hardest roof crack in the world. I've aided it and belayed my buddy on it. But, I wanted some input on anyone elses experiance on this route. Thanks

6pacfershur

Dec 15, 2011, 3:24 AM
Post #2 of 66 (19851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Powers.Goldwire] Thermonuclear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

please dont take this the wrong way....why are you aid climbing on a free climb?

rockforlife

Dec 15, 2011, 5:33 AM
Post #3 of 66 (19821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] Thermonuclear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
please dont take this the wrong way....why are you aid climbing on a free climb?

your kidding right?

sungam

Dec 15, 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #4 of 66 (19790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
As long as it is free aid, why not? Hard roof cracks get aided all the time. For example, Camhead practically aided KCC there were so many fixed nutz on it from other aiders.

billl7

Dec 15, 2011, 1:32 PM
Post #5 of 66 (19776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
Thankfully, we all don't live our lives like a dictionary. The "black and white" leaves out soooo much of life.

Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Dec 15, 2011, 1:33 PM)

Partner camhead

Dec 15, 2011, 1:41 PM
Post #6 of 66 (19766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Thermonuclear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:
As long as it is free aid, why not? Hard roof cracks get aided all the time. For example, Camhead practically aided KCC there were so many fixed nutz on it from other aiders.

Is true, I caught HIV from Kansas City.

As for Thermonuclear, I've wanted to check it out for a while, asked about it on another website years ago, but I can never bring myself to drive past the Red to get to Dawson Bluff. It and Champagne Jam at Sandrock are probably the two great "unknown" hard roof cracks in the East.

sungam

Dec 15, 2011, 2:07 PM
Post #7 of 66 (19757 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Thermonuclear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:

As for Thermonuclear, I've wanted to check it out for a while, asked about it on another website years ago, but I can never bring myself to drive past the Red to get to Dawson Bluff. It and Champagne Jam at Sandrock are probably the two great "unknown" hard roof cracks in the East.
Well, I think you should go do it, then slander the OP for aiding it. Maybe I just like watching dramz unfold, though.

olderic

Dec 15, 2011, 2:53 PM
Post #8 of 66 (19739 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:

I think you mean clean aid. Unless you are French...

climbingtrash

Dec 15, 2011, 3:21 PM
Post #9 of 66 (19727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:

Probably because it's too hard for him to free climb? << Too obvious and answer?

colatownkid

Dec 15, 2011, 3:28 PM
Post #10 of 66 (19722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Thermonuclear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:

Don't forget "Rat's Ass" at Steele, AL.

6pacfershur

Dec 15, 2011, 5:00 PM
Post #11 of 66 (19691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:

next time you're in colorado, stop by eldo with your aid rack and try getting on the naked edge....make sure you bring a video camera because the ensuing ass-kicking you get will be gold!

Dip

Dec 15, 2011, 8:26 PM
Post #12 of 66 (19637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:

next time you're in colorado, stop by eldo with your aid rack and try getting on the naked edge....make sure you bring a video camera because the ensuing ass-kicking you get will be gold!

Oh jesus christ. An "in eldo..." post. Please tell me you included that in the thread on mp.

http://www.mountainproject.com/...33847__6#a_107281968

edited to add link

(This post was edited by Dip on Dec 15, 2011, 8:29 PM)

johnwesely

Dec 15, 2011, 8:49 PM
Post #13 of 66 (19622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:

Because aiding an obscure roof crack is even in the same neighborhood as aiding one of the most popular moderate free climbs in the world.

sungam

Dec 16, 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #14 of 66 (19575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:

Next time in Colorado, and every time after that, I won't be stopping in Eldo - I'll be going somewhere that is actually worth the trip.

sungam

Dec 16, 2011, 12:27 AM
Post #15 of 66 (19573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Thermonuclear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:

I think you mean clean aid. Unless you are French...
Well, I did, but then I didn't change my typo after I saw how well it fit with the Clamhead thang.

styndall

Dec 16, 2011, 1:02 AM
Post #16 of 66 (19561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:

I'd like to nominate this for Post of the Year 2011. Seconds?

6pacfershur

Dec 16, 2011, 2:04 AM
Post #17 of 66 (19543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Thermonuclear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:
sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:

Because aiding an obscure roof crack is even in the same neighborhood as aiding one of the most popular moderate free climbs in the world.

please take this opportunity to explain the criteria to us: when is it acceptable to aid climb a free climb and when is it not...............

johnwesely

Dec 16, 2011, 2:37 AM
Post #18 of 66 (19537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:
sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:

please take this opportunity to explain the criteria to us: when is it acceptable to aid climb a free climb and when is it not...............

When doing so wouldn't make you a jerk. Seems pretty simple to me.

charlie.elverson

Dec 16, 2011, 2:51 AM
Post #19 of 66 (19531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:
sungam wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:

you tell 'em 6pac! That goes double for all the jerks aiding the nose and moonlight buttress!

Lazlo

Dec 16, 2011, 4:28 AM
Post #20 of 66 (19516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charlie.elverson] Thermonuclear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo

Dec 16, 2011, 4:30 AM
Post #21 of 66 (19514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Thermonuclear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't nobody free my aid climb! If I see anyone with a chalk bag near my route......

guangzhou

Dec 16, 2011, 7:27 AM
Post #22 of 66 (19480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine lived near the area, so I've spent some time at Dawson, but never managed to free Thermonuclear crack. I've manged to do most of the routes there.

One person above mentioned Champagne Jams, not sure, it's been nearly a decade, but I think the route is actually Champain Jams because of the cobbles inside.

A couple of great Roof Cracks at T-wall too. Hands Across America.

Cheers
Eman

sungam

Dec 16, 2011, 8:32 AM
Post #23 of 66 (19474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
Don't nobody free my aid climb! If I see anyone with a chalk bag near my route......
Wait, I thought I had a free ticket to being personally guided to Graphic Nature for the epic FFA attempt at the uber classic aid line?

johnwesely

Dec 16, 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #24 of 66 (19435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:

Dat gif.

Partner camhead

Dec 16, 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #25 of 66 (19429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Thermonuclear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
A friend of mine lived near the area, so I've spent some time at Dawson, but never managed to free Thermonuclear crack. I've manged to do most of the routes there.

One person above mentioned Champagne Jams, not sure, it's been nearly a decade, but I think the route is actually Champain Jams because of the cobbles inside.

A couple of great Roof Cracks at T-wall too. Hands Across America.

Cheers
Eman

I got bored a couple years ago, and put together this incomplete list of roof cracks across the world.

In reply to:
The Monument, White Bluff, 5.12+
Zombie Roof, Squamish, 5.13a
Coffin Roof, Little Cottonwood, 5.12a
Capitol Roof, Capitol Reef, UT, 5.11
Master Blaster, Zion, 5.13+
Fiddler on the Roof, Fremont Canyon, 5.13+
Separate Reality, Yosemite, 5.11+
Desperate Reality, Wichita Mtns., 5.12b
Desert Reality, Red Rocks, 5.11
Arkansas Reality, Sam's Throne, 5.11c
Celestial Mechanics, Tennessee Wall, 5.12c (longest continuous roof splitter that I've yet seen)
Hands Across America, Tennessee Wall, 5.12c
Dream Thiever, Red River Gorge, 5.12a
Stolen Tiggers, New River Gorge, 5.12b
Biodiesel, New River Gorge, 5.13b
Greatest Show on Earth, New River Gorge, 5.13a
Kansas City, Gunks, 5.12c
Jean's Overhang, Tishomingo, MS, 5.12a
Champagne Jam, Sandrock, AL, 5.12+
Thermonuclear, Dawson Bluffs, KY, 5.13-

International:
Greenspit, Valle de Orco, Italy, 5.14- (?)
Passport to Insanity, Grampians, Aus, 5.12c
Kalbarri Gold, Western Australia, 5.12

There are certainly some that I've forgotten.

Add the recent Necronomicon in Canyonlands to this list.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook