RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

matterunomama

Dec 17, 2011, 8:56 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Cold weather sportmoderates Red Rocks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am going to RedRocks in early Feb. I've been before but it was May, and hot. Our group climbs 5.8-5.11 sport. What areas would you recommend for us if the weather is very cold.?

lena_chita

Dec 17, 2011, 9:42 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Cold weather sportmoderates Red Rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

My memory of sunny walls in December/January. Not all of the walls would have high-quality climbs in the grade you mentioned, but they at least a day worth of climbs in the grade spread you are looking for, and some more than a day's worth:

First pullout:

Panty wall (5.7-5.11)/Dog wall (5.10-5.12).

Second pullout:
1) Black Corridor (not sunny, but to me it felt O.K. on all but the coldest/windiest days, and it was empty, because it wasn't sunny 5.7-5.11)/Sweet Pain (sunny until midday, 5.10-5.11)/Stone wall( sunny in the morning, 5.10-5.11) All three areas within easy walking distance of each other, so you can do them in the same day, walking back and forth.

2)Gallery/wall of confusion. 5.9-5.11 well, and also 5.12-5.13, but... Sunny all day, is likely to be packed with people.

3) Stratocaster, 5.10/5.11 and up. Sunny all day, a level above Gallery.

Sandstone quarry:

1) California wall, 5.10-5.11 and up, sunny all day

2)Holiday wall/James Brown. Mostly 5.11s and up, but has one or two 5.10s? Holiday wall is a corner, so one side is sunny in the morning ,the other side is sunny in the afternoon, and James Wall is nearby and sunny.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook