RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

blairboyd

Dec 19, 2011, 1:55 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1396 views)
Shortcut

Ring finger and pinky pain in palm and wrist
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was using an open hand grip on the small ledge on my hangboard, when suddenly there were several audible pops in my palm and wrist area and my hand collapsed off the hold. I was starting to curl my hand just before it happened as my contact strength isn't up to par, and so i must have been bowstringing a good deal. It didn't hurt a great deal initially, but soon became very much so. Luckily, my middle and index fingers were fine - but even then tendency to want to bend my ring finger with my index and middle hurt for a while. After 2 weeks there was no little pain doing everyday things.

I have reluctantly taken a littler over 2 months off, and while the pain is gone - there is still stiffness in the tendon (i think.) I tried stretching it and hanging on jugs with no pain - but then I tried open hand on the large ledges of a hangboard and I feel a little tenderness in the palm of my hand by my ring finger. I just generally feel hesitant to try it out any further.

Any advice at all on diagnosis, treatment, recovery, etc?

Thanks so much,

Blair

onceahardman

Dec 19, 2011, 2:28 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blairboyd] Ring finger and pinky pain in palm and wrist [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blairboyd wrote:
I was using an open hand grip on the small ledge on my hangboard, when suddenly there were several audible pops in my palm and wrist area and my hand collapsed off the hold. I was starting to curl my hand just before it happened as my contact strength isn't up to par, and so i must have been bowstringing a good deal. It didn't hurt a great deal initially, but soon became very much so. Luckily, my middle and index fingers were fine - but even then tendency to want to bend my ring finger with my index and middle hurt for a while. After 2 weeks there was no little pain doing everyday things.

I have reluctantly taken a littler over 2 months off, and while the pain is gone - there is still stiffness in the tendon (i think.) I tried stretching it and hanging on jugs with no pain - but then I tried open hand on the large ledges of a hangboard and I feel a little tenderness in the palm of my hand by my ring finger. I just generally feel hesitant to try it out any further.

Any advice at all on diagnosis, treatment, recovery, etc?

Thanks so much,

Blair

Blair, some of your writing is unclear, especially (to me) the bolded portions. But it sounds like a possible lumbrical injury. A quick search will reveal several relevant threads, and the following might be of interest (especially click on the link in the second post):

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...g=lumbrical;#2219844

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Dec 19, 2011, 2:29 PM)

blairboyd

Dec 20, 2011, 7:24 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Ring finger and pinky pain in palm and wrist [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you nailed it - I was dropping my pinky while gripping so i'm sure that's what caused the separation. Thanks so much for the post! Time to buddy tape and get on with it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook