RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

other

Dec 20, 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #1 of 15 (21287 views)
Shortcut

ski/snowboard helmet for ice climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone use a ski/board helmet for ice climbing or mountaineering? I know that supposedly a climbing helmet is for falls and stuff dropping on it and a board helmet is just for crashing. Would the climbing helmet really protect the brain better in falls or from falling objects? The insulated ski/board helmet would be a lot warmer for the head and ears and could be worn without a hat, which causes a climbing helmet to ride higher and not protect the forehead. Thanks

gunkiemike

Dec 20, 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #2 of 15 (21270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [other] ski/snowboard helmet for ice climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I totally support the idea. Better side impact protection for sure. Others will say, "Yea but it's not certified against the climbing helmet standard." Unless I'm in a professional i.e. guiding situation, I really don't think that matters as long as the helmet is built like a climbing helmet (EPS + shell).

Bulletproof2000

Dec 21, 2011, 12:35 AM
Post #3 of 15 (21258 views)
Shortcut

Re: ski/snowboard helmet for ice climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Remember that you can't hear crap with the full sided snow/ski helmets.
Something I miss when I'm about to lock in my 9.3SCR heel-side with moronic skiers around.

tolman_paul

Dec 21, 2011, 1:45 AM
Post #4 of 15 (21251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not familiar enough with the two testing standards to comment on the appropriateness. I will say that as far as I'm concerned getting hit by falling ice, tools or screws when ice climbing, or belaying a climber is a serious and constant risk. Thus if a helmut isn't designed to protect one from such impacts, it would be inapropriate to use for ice climbing.

I don't find that wearing a hat under a helmut makes it ride that much higher, but I use relatively thin hats under the helmut.

qwert

Dec 21, 2011, 6:36 PM
Post #5 of 15 (21201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

#
insert the usual warning about only using gear to manufacturers specifications here
#

That said:
I guess it depends on what you want to focus. If you want to do ice climbing, and only that, you get a climbing helmet. If that ice climb involves an approach and a deproach (what is the opposite of approach?) with skis, and you want a helmet for that too, you use a climbing helmet.

If you have to earn your turns, and that involves ascending a gully where you need a helmet, you use a skiing helmet, though i would want to make sure that it is one that also offers top protection and protection agains pointy things (aka rocks). I guess helmets for freeriding should have you covered there, whereas some for piste racing might not be your best bet. If i remember correctly http://www.sweetprotection.com/ for example has a helmet where they specifically state that it is not only meant to protect your head, should you fall during skiing, but also should something fall on you.

Or you could just get this:
http://www.salewa.de/...lme-1/xenon-helmet-1
(unfortunately i cant find it on the US or international site of Salewa)
One helmet thats fully certified for everything:
Climbing
Skiing
Biking
Sledding
Built in Recco reflector, removable warm liner and ear pads, vents on top for the approach or for climbing use…

qwert

qwert

Dec 21, 2011, 6:41 PM
Post #6 of 15 (21198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

other wrote:
… and could be worn without a hat, which causes a climbing helmet to ride higher and not protect the forehead. Thanks
Oh, and maybe you just have the wrong helmet!?

Are you new to the whole winter game?

A helmet that you buy for summer climbing, might not be your best bet for winter. Too many vents, no room for a hat (though i would prefer a thin beany), not adjustable enough, wont work with goggles, …

It is not uncommon that you have two helmets (or three…). One that you use for warmer stuff, and one that you (can) use with a hat underneath in winter (or long or high alpine stuff in summer). When i buy a helmet, i always take a beanie and goggles with me, to see if it will work with that too.

qwert

acorneau

Dec 21, 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #7 of 15 (21160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] ski/snowboard helmet for ice climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
what is the opposite of approach?

Retreat (?) or just "the hike back".

In reply to:
Or you could just get this:
http://www.salewa.de/...lme-1/xenon-helmet-1
(unfortunately i cant find it on the US or international site of Salewa)

Here ya go:

http://www.salewa.us/...lme-1/xenon-helmet-1

To the OP: you can also look into the Kong Scarab, which is designed for 4 different sports:

http://www.kong.it/doc305.htm

jkd159

Dec 22, 2011, 2:42 AM
Post #8 of 15 (21137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

other wrote:
Does anyone use a ski/board helmet for ice climbing or mountaineering?

I used my snowboard helmet once for single pitch ice climbing. Just to see how well it would work. Found it heavy and bulky. I don't think you look up much when snowboarding, but you look up all the time when ice climbing, and a big bulky helmet quickly becomes annoying.

If it was a choice between a snowboard helmet and no helmet, I would for sure choose the snowboard helmet. And it would work fine. But since I have a climbing helmet -- which adjusts to fit over my hat just fine -- that's what I'll use. I'm a big fan of the Petzl Meteor with Vizion face shield for ice climbing.

vinnie83

Dec 22, 2011, 4:02 AM
Post #9 of 15 (21127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

other wrote:
The insulated ski/board helmet would be a lot warmer for the head and ears and could be worn without a hat, which causes a climbing helmet to ride higher and not protect the forehead. Thanks

Never had an issue with a helmet riding too high when wearing a hat, and I've often wanted to wear different weight hats or not hat at all when ice climbing/mountaineering. Not really an option with most snowboard helmets.

other

Dec 22, 2011, 4:52 AM
Post #10 of 15 (21124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vinnie83] ski/snowboard helmet for ice climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Got a Petzl Elios helmet. Fits great with no helmet. Rides high with a helmet. The hat covers the ears and the board helemts ear flaps have holes in them that I can hear through.

other

Dec 22, 2011, 5:14 AM
Post #11 of 15 (21120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both the Kong and Salewa look like bike helmets. I have a hard beleiving that they are fine for all those sports but a snowboard or bike helmet isn't.

qwert

Dec 22, 2011, 8:49 AM
Post #12 of 15 (21099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

other wrote:
Both the Kong and Salewa look like bike helmets. I have a hard beleiving that they are fine for all those sports but a snowboard or bike helmet isn't.
You have a hard what?
Apart from the obvious jokes that are to be made here, I believe the word "time" is missing here.

Yes, they both look like bike helmets. That is not only because they are certified as bike helmets (among other things), but because they are made like bike helmets. (Styrofoam + hard(er) cover, prbably injection molded)

Essentially there are two styles of helmets:
The "bike helmets" and the "hard hats". Bike helmets that are bike helmets are made mostly for side impacts (you hitting the asphalt after leaving your bike), but if they are made to be climbing helmets, the bulk of the styrofoam is simply moved to the top, to be resistant to top impacts.

In case of the Kong and the Salewa helmets, they simply left enough foam at the other places, to still provide enough resistance for an additional biking certification.

qwert

6pacfershur

Dec 23, 2011, 3:00 AM
Post #13 of 15 (21056 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bulletproof2000] ski/snowboard helmet for ice climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bulletproof2000 wrote:
Remember that you can't hear crap with the full sided snow/ski helmets.
Something I miss when I'm about to lock in my 9.3SCR heel-side with moronic skiers around.

they dont have to be skiers to be moronic....

gunkiemike

Dec 25, 2011, 1:03 AM
Post #14 of 15 (20994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] ski/snowboard helmet for ice climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tolman_paul wrote:
I don't find that wearing a hat under a helmut makes it ride that much higher, but I use relatively thin hats under the helmut.

It does happen.

marc801

Dec 25, 2011, 4:03 PM
Post #15 of 15 (20953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] ski/snowboard helmet for ice climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
tolman_paul wrote:

It does happen.

[image]http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/500/highhat.jpg[/image]
That person has no idea why they're wearing a helmet, just that they knew they were supposed to for ice climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook