First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

yanqui

Jan 4, 2012, 5:31 AM
Post #1 of 28 (1778 views)
Shortcut

Is there really that much difference?
Report this Post
Can't Post

I see Romney squeaked by in Iowa. And this makes me wonder: aside from the obvious superficial distinctions, is there really that much difference between Romney and Obama? I realize it's sometimes hard to tell in advance: I didn't anticipate that Dubbya Bush would be such a radical change from Clinton, but there you have it. Now I wonder what the poop is here: if Romney beat Obama would there be much change in the way things are run?

ubu

Jan 4, 2012, 5:53 AM
Post #2 of 28 (1766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yanqui] Is there really that much difference? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Practically speaking, I doubt there would be much difference between an Obama and Romney White House, with the following exceptions under Romney:

1. Significantly more flip-floppy pandering.
2. After 4 years of Romney we will all feel just a bit oilier.
3. Magic underwear.

scrapedape

Jan 4, 2012, 5:55 AM
Post #3 of 28 (1764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If Governor Romney were elected, I think the answer would be no. Governor Romney is not running, however.

Candidate Romney is a different animal. If he wins the nomination, it will be despite the GOP base, not because of it. The GOP base is rightly suspicious of Governor Romney's conservative bona fides, and as a result, Candidate Romney has painted himself into an awful lot of policy corners from which it will be impossible to back out.

In other words, even if Mitt Romney's "real" views (whatever the fuck that means) are close to Obama's, he has pandered to seriously and frequently to the GOP base that he will not be able to govern based on his own convictions. If he did, he would risk a primary challenge from the far right.

camhead

Jan 4, 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #4 of 28 (1731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Is there really that much difference? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a lot of difference between Romney and Obama.

Remember, disillusioned liberals who thought that there was no difference between Gore and Bush in 2000, and then voted for Nader, hold a lot of the blame for the disfunctions of the subsequent decade.

The lesser of two evils is still less evil.

scrapedape

Jan 4, 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #5 of 28 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Is there really that much difference? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Greenwald addresses this in an interesting article:

In reply to:
It’s perfectly rational and reasonable for progressives to decide that the evils of their candidate are outweighed by the evils of the GOP candidate, whether Ron Paul or anyone else. An honest line of reasoning in this regard would go as follows:

In reply to:
Yes, I’m willing to continue to have Muslim children slaughtered by covert drones and cluster bombs, and America’s minorities imprisoned by the hundreds of thousands for no good reason, and the CIA able to run rampant with no checks or transparency, and privacy eroded further by the unchecked Surveillance State, and American citizens targeted by the President for assassination with no due process, and whistleblowers threatened with life imprisonment for “espionage,” and the Fed able to dole out trillions to bankers in secret, and a substantially higher risk of war with Iran (fought by the U.S. or by Israel with U.S. support) in exchange for less severe cuts to Social Security, Medicare and other entitlement programs, the preservation of the Education and Energy Departments, more stringent environmental regulations, broader health care coverage, defense of reproductive rights for women, stronger enforcement of civil rights for America’s minorities, a President with no associations with racist views in a newsletter, and a more progressive Supreme Court.

Without my adopting it, that is at least an honest, candid, and rational way to defend one’s choice. It is the classic lesser-of-two-evils rationale, the key being that it explicitly recognizes that both sides are “evil”: meaning it is not a Good v. Evil contest but a More Evil v. Less Evil contest. But that is not the discussion that takes place because few progressives want to acknowledge that the candidate they are supporting — again — is someone who will continue to do these evil things with their blessing.

The only problem with his framing, I think, is that progressives would not accepting those former evils in exchange for the latter benefits, since GOP is likely to be worse on all counts.

Partner j_ung

Jan 4, 2012, 12:12 PM
Post #6 of 28 (1728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
...policy corners from which it will be impossible to back out.

If presidential politics has taught me anything, it's that such a thing does not exist.

rmsusa

Jan 4, 2012, 2:07 PM
Post #7 of 28 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One difference is that Romney actually has some formal economics training and experience with real companies. In terms of being able to navigate US politics, I think he'd do better.

They're both pols, but hey ... that's what all our presidents are (by definition).

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jan 5, 2012, 5:05 AM
Post #8 of 28 (1667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] Is there really that much difference? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
One difference is that Romney actually has some formal economics training and experience with real companies. In terms of being able to navigate US politics, I think he'd do better.

They're both pols, but hey ... that's what all our presidents are (by definition).

Having browsed an annoted Romney resume (http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/...private-equity-past/), I'm not sold on his public policy economic chops.

camhead

Jan 5, 2012, 6:07 AM
Post #9 of 28 (1661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:

I've always wondered why business experience was seen as any more relevant to running a country than experience in law, public service, or military. Our nation is not a business; why do we need a CEO to be president?

Off the top of my head, I think we have only only ever elected one MBA to the White House, and that didn't turn out so well.

Partner cracklover

Jan 5, 2012, 8:25 AM
Post #10 of 28 (1654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
rmsusa wrote:

I've always wondered why business experience was seen as any more relevant to running a country than experience in law, public service, or military. Our nation is not a business; why do we need a CEO to be president?

Off the top of my head, I think we have only only ever elected one MBA to the White House, and that didn't turn out so well.

Our leaders are all lawyers. China's leaders are all engineers.

Hmmm... that explains a few things, eh?

GO

rmsusa

Jan 6, 2012, 3:45 PM
Post #11 of 28 (1606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anybody with great leadership skills, with decent ideas, an open mind and high ability to work with others to get things done would do a decent job.

That said, here are a couple of thoughts.

To run the executive branch is to run a large organization. That's not exclusive to business. Miitary experience at general officer level would be good. We've had a couple of good presidents that came out of the military. Public service as a leader of a large government organization would be good. We've had governors be good presidents.

I do think that deep experience with the economic ecosystem and a feel for how it behaves is a big plus. It'll keep him/her from being snowed by math geniuses and ideologues who pronounce on the economy.

No, the nation is not a business, but that vocabulary doesn't enlighten. Ask yourself what does "nation" mean. I don't think anyone leads or runs the "nation".

What we're talking about in a president is not someone who runs "the nation" but someone who runs the executive branch of government, which is an organization. All organizations share lots of characteristics with business. The president IS a CEO. Chief Executive Officer. Maybe some relevant CEO experience would help.

My personal preferences would give the person with large business CEO experience an edge over someone without it. That experience combines organizational savvy with economic insight. There are CEO who would make awful presidents. Larry Ellison? Mark Zuckerberg?

tready

Jan 6, 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #12 of 28 (1594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
Anybody with great leadership skills, with decent ideas, an open mind and high ability to work with others to get things done would do a decent job.

Why in the world would someone with that skill set want a job in politics?

scrapedape

Jan 7, 2012, 4:06 AM
Post #13 of 28 (1571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:

To run the executive branch is to run a large organization. That's not exclusive to business. Miitary experience at general officer level would be good. We've had a couple of good presidents that came out of the military. Public service as a leader of a large government organization would be good. We've had governors be good presidents.

I do think that deep experience with the economic ecosystem and a feel for how it behaves is a big plus. It'll keep him/her from being snowed by math geniuses and ideologues who pronounce on the economy.

No, the nation is not a business, but that vocabulary doesn't enlighten. Ask yourself what does "nation" mean. I don't think anyone leads or runs the "nation".

What we're talking about in a president is not someone who runs "the nation" but someone who runs the executive branch of government, which is an organization. All organizations share lots of characteristics with business. The president IS a CEO. Chief Executive Officer. Maybe some relevant CEO experience would help.

My personal preferences would give the person with large business CEO experience an edge over someone without it. That experience combines organizational savvy with economic insight. There are CEO who would make awful presidents. Larry Ellison? Mark Zuckerberg?

I agree with most everything you've written here, which is rare.

Though I would point out that Zuckerberg couldn't be president anyway - at least not until 2020.

yanqui

Jan 7, 2012, 4:26 PM
Post #14 of 28 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tready] Is there really that much difference? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tready wrote:

The revolving door?

(This post was edited by yanqui on Jan 7, 2012, 4:29 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jan 8, 2012, 6:46 AM
Post #15 of 28 (1512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tready] Is there really that much difference? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tready wrote:
rmsusa wrote:

That job skill set doesn't work in politics. CEO's get things done because everyone they work with will do what the says to do or they get fired. A president works with congress which is populated by people who both want the president to fail and who think they should be the next president.

A CEO is a petty dictator, why would anyone want someone with that skill set as president?

damienclimber

Jan 8, 2012, 4:35 PM
Post #16 of 28 (1484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Is there really that much difference? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
tready wrote:
rmsusa wrote:

That job skill set doesn't work in politics. CEO's get things done because everyone they work with will do what the says to do or they get fired. A president works with congress which is populated by people who both want the president to fail and who think they should be the next president.

A CEO is a petty dictator, why would anyone want someone with that skill set as president?

Obama is just a puppet without any leadership skills.

Who likes living in the white house as a pawn ,btw Michelle makes all the political decisions.

veganclimber

Jan 8, 2012, 5:49 PM
Post #17 of 28 (1476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Is there really that much difference? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damienclimber wrote:
tready wrote:
rmsusa wrote:

Obama is just a puppet without any leadership skills.

Who likes living in the white house as a pawn ,btw Michelle makes all the political decisions.

Did Rush tell you this?

styndall

Jan 8, 2012, 7:07 PM
Post #18 of 28 (1470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:

Except the CEO who had the job most recently was absolutely disastrous, and people without business experience have done well.

I wouldn't put any stock in CEO experience over any other kind of experience, honestly.

rmsusa

Jan 10, 2012, 7:29 PM
Post #19 of 28 (1417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
That job skill set doesn't work in politics. CEO's get things done because everyone they work with will do what the says to do or they get fired.

I think you're wrong about this. People are motivated by lots of things other than fear, which really sucks as motivation. Check the latest HBR issue for some relevant modern leadership thought on the subject.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jan 10, 2012, 8:42 PM
Post #20 of 28 (1414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:
That job skill set doesn't work in politics. CEO's get things done because everyone they work with will do what the says to do or they get fired.

I think you're wrong about this. People are motivated by lots of things other than fear, which really sucks as motivation. Check the latest HBR issue for some relevant modern leadership thought on the subject.

Being the web kinda guy that I am a skedattled over to the HBR site but didn't see anything that popped as far as a related topic. If you saw anything in a paper copy, please, by all means let me know or link it here.

It isn't fear that I was talking about, it is about the last word. If I argue with my wife, at some point and time we have to reach an agreed upon solution. I can not impose my will on her. Nor she on me. There is no hierarchy, there is no year end PMP, no merit raise process, nothing that either of us hold over each other (other than, well, you know). We must reach an agreement thru persuasion and logic.

This is akin the the relationship between the president and congress. Except that instead of a loving wife, congress is a morass of competing egos and conflicting money. No CEO used to getting his way (even if it is a modern "what is your idea" sort of management) does well in this environment. Presidential leadership is absolutely not the same skill as decision making within any level of a corporate organization.

scrapedape

Jan 11, 2012, 7:14 AM
Post #21 of 28 (1391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:

Being the web kinda guy that I am a skedattled over to the HBR site but didn't see anything that popped as far as a related topic. If you saw anything in a paper copy, please, by all means let me know or link it here.

It isn't fear that I was talking about, it is about the last word. If I argue with my wife, at some point and time we have to reach an agreed upon solution. I can not impose my will on her. Nor she on me. There is no hierarchy, there is no year end PMP, no merit raise process, nothing that either of us hold over each other (other than, well, you know). We must reach an agreement thru persuasion and logic.

This is akin the the relationship between the president and congress. Except that instead of a loving wife, congress is a morass of competing egos and conflicting money. No CEO used to getting his way (even if it is a modern "what is your idea" sort of management) does well in this environment. Presidential leadership is absolutely not the same skill as decision making within any level of a corporate organization.

You are focusing narrowly on one aspect of the president's job. Another aspect is that the president is the head of the executive branch of government and all its constituent departments and agencies, and is ultimately responsible for their operation.

Government departments most assuredly do not function as purely hierarchical organizations; many have a life of their own that is driven by the interests of staff at all levels, historical norms, etc. However I would suggest that many large companies are much the same - a set of fragmented fiefdoms over which the nominal CEO has only limited practical authority.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jan 11, 2012, 1:51 PM
Post #22 of 28 (1366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:

You are focusing narrowly on one aspect of the president's job. Another aspect is that the president is the head of the executive branch of government and all its constituent departments and agencies, and is ultimately responsible for their operation.

Government departments most assuredly do not function as purely hierarchical organizations; many have a life of their own that is driven by the interests of staff at all levels, historical norms, etc. However I would suggest that many large companies are much the same - a set of fragmented fiefdoms over which the nominal CEO has only limited practical authority.

Large companies I know of are decidedly not fiefdoms over which a CEO has little control. CEOs are the only ones with who crosses the fiefdoms. Off the tip of my head, the only major CEO with a strong IOC organization is Warren B., and he doesn't have limited authority, quite the opposite.

rmsusa

Jan 11, 2012, 2:14 PM
Post #23 of 28 (1361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Being the web kinda guy that I am a skedattled over to the HBR site but didn't see anything that popped as far as a related topic

Jan/Feb Issue with a big smiley on the cover. It's all about happiness in the workplace and elsewhere. Check out the retail article first. Click on "The magazine" from hbr.org and peruse the articles. Íf you register, I think you can read 3 articles for free.

It's been a long time since real leadership has involved fear.

rmsusa

Jan 11, 2012, 2:27 PM
Post #24 of 28 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Large companies I know of are decidedly not fiefdoms over which a CEO has little control.

I think you're investing too much power in the head of an organization.

Much of the reason that initiatives in big organizations come to grief is simple failure to get buy-in. Ford, Motorola, Kodak, Yahoo, AOL ... I can think of a host of companies that the CEO had trouble moving.

Initiatives have to be sold to the people and organizations that carry them out. These people and organizations will survive the tenure of the CEO and they know it. That can be fatal to a project. In some sense, this is what true leadership is all about. Persuasion and inspiration line people up and keep them moving toward the goal. Leadership is actually a profoundly political skill.

ANY large organization exhibits inertia, mostly for the reasons that scrapedape pointed out. If you browse through the HBR case studies, you'll find examples.

(This post was edited by rmsusa on Jan 11, 2012, 2:28 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jan 12, 2012, 7:10 PM
Post #25 of 28 (1305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:
Being the web kinda guy that I am a skedattled over to the HBR site but didn't see anything that popped as far as a related topic

Jan/Feb Issue with a big smiley on the cover. It's all about happiness in the workplace and elsewhere. Check out the retail article first. Click on "The magazine" from hbr.org and peruse the articles. Íf you register, I think you can read 3 articles for free.

It's been a long time since real leadership has involved fear.

I usually hit HBR when I travel, and I'll be flying in Feb. So for now, I'll be lazy and wait until then.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook