Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
trying to put a bouldering route up in my garage. help?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

Waffle

Jan 5, 2012, 1:56 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2766 views)
Shortcut

trying to put a bouldering route up in my garage. help?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
i've been wanting to make my own bouldering route at home for a while now and i think my garage would be a great place. only thing is i wanna make sure i do it right. when i google it all i get is people trying to build a climbing wall then putting the holds on said wall. i dont want to build a wall. i want to put the holds directly on the wall of the garage. i've seen youtube videos of people having routes put in their garages and even throughout their houseShocked but no info on how they did it/rules to abide by. So i ask you, guys, how do i go about doing this properly?

Express

Jan 5, 2012, 4:16 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Waffle] trying to put a bouldering route up in my garage. help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

1. Get large sheets of plywood
2. Drill grids for t-nuts in plywood
3. Install t-nuts in plywood
4. Attach your plywood to your existing wall framing
4. Install holds to your climbing wall

Obviously, your problems will all be quite short and only vertical (90 degrees from horizontal)

If you couldn't figure this much out on your own, I fear this project may be a bit much for you.

gen8787

Jan 5, 2012, 5:28 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Waffle] trying to put a bouldering route up in my garage. help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/...-Bouldering-Wall.pdf

yodadave

Jan 5, 2012, 6:14 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are looking to affix holds to a pre-existing wall then letting us know what the wall is made of will help

Partner camhead

Jan 5, 2012, 7:12 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Express] trying to put a bouldering route up in my garage. help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, assuming that your garage is like most, and the inside walls are just bare 2x4 studs, you are going to want to put up some sort of plywood with t-nuts installed in it. But once you do this, you may as well put some nice angles up, and just go all out and build an entire wall.

Or, here's an alternative for the easiest, cheapest way, if you just want holds attached to the inside of your garage: just buy a bunch of screw-on holds like these, rather than those that bolt-on. With small screw-ons, you simply put them up wherever you want, directly into studs. Obviously, since studs are usually pretty narrow, you will be limited, but it sounds like you already don't have a problem being half-assed if you are wanting to simply put a route up in your garage.

That would be the easiest thing to do, but honestly, you be bored with it within a week or so.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook