RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Krypt

Jan 15, 2012, 12:46 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3267 views)
Shortcut

Sore finger
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi new here & first post.

Recently got a fingerboard to help with grip & upper back/scapula strength & have noticed that my ring finger always seems to feel tender/bruised at the first joint just behind the nail, so much so I'm now having to have some time off as I don't want to make it any worse.

Any help appreciated in why this could be happening & what I can do to improve/speed up recovery off the area.

Krypt

onceahardman

Jan 16, 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3236 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Krypt] Sore finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Krypt wrote:
Hi new here & first post.

Recently got a fingerboard to help with grip & upper back/scapula strength & have noticed that my ring finger always seems to feel tender/bruised at the first joint just behind the nail, so much so I'm now having to have some time off as I don't want to make it any worse.

Any help appreciated in why this could be happening & what I can do to improve/speed up recovery off the area.

Krypt

You should not use a finger board for strengthening upper back and "scapula". (scapula is bone, BTW). A pullup bar would be more useful for strengthening the big pulling muscles I think you are talking about.

Save the finger board for finger specific work. You appear to now have applied tensile forces in excess of the tensile strength of your connective tissue. You are injured. You need to rest, but keep all the finger joints moving.

Krypt

Jan 22, 2012, 2:44 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Sore finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
You should not use a finger board for strengthening upper back and "scapula". (scapula is bone, BTW). A pullup bar would be more useful for strengthening the big pulling muscles I think you are talking about.

Save the finger board for finger specific work. You appear to now have applied tensile forces in excess of the tensile strength of your connective tissue. You are injured. You need to rest, but keep all the finger joints moving.

I used the finger board because I was also looking to increase finger/grip strength with the intention of killing two birds with one stone. Looks like I've gone in a little above my station.

Fingers healing.

Thanks for replying.

climbs4fun

Jan 23, 2012, 1:50 AM
Post #5 of 6 (3118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crjanow] Sore finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Folks, inappropriate comments will be hidden. If you can't find your post, you know why.

Krypt

Jan 23, 2012, 1:40 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] Sore finger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:
Folks, inappropriate comments will be hidden. If you can't find your post, you know why.

If they were aimed at me & my "beginners mistakes" don't fret. Par for the course on forums when a newbie messes up.Wink

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook