Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Custom shoes for gimp??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 


mtngonzo


Jan 17, 2012, 12:22 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2659 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 17, 2012
Posts: 3

Custom shoes for gimp??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

HI All
Looking for help. Lost 10 toes and 2 heels last year and having trouble getting my climbing shoes to stay on with my prosthesis. I've already gotten a pair of custom cycling shoes and they have mad a HUGE difference. The guy who built them is willing to loan out the custom lasts for a pair of climbing shoes but I haven't found anyone who does custom shoes. My old shoes are almost new but talking to Rock and Resole it is really pretty difficult to "cut them down". Anyone have any suggestions?? Like to get something before outside climbing season really gets going.

thanks!
David


jmichael


Jan 17, 2012, 4:43 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2619 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 20, 2011
Posts: 13

Re: [mtngonzo] Custom shoes for gimp?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This may or may not work, but perhaps a high top shoe like the 5.10 grandstone will stay on better as it will grip onto your ankle as well.

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/62-grandstone


agdavis


Jan 17, 2012, 4:45 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 7, 2009
Posts: 310

Re: [mtngonzo] Custom shoes for gimp?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mtngonzo wrote:
HI All
Looking for help. Lost 10 toes and 2 heels last year and having trouble getting my climbing shoes to stay on with my prosthesis. I've already gotten a pair of custom cycling shoes and they have mad a HUGE difference. The guy who built them is willing to loan out the custom lasts for a pair of climbing shoes but I haven't found anyone who does custom shoes. My old shoes are almost new but talking to Rock and Resole it is really pretty difficult to "cut them down". Anyone have any suggestions?? Like to get something before outside climbing season really gets going.

thanks!
David

The Evolv and 5.10 factories are in southern california - try giving them a call.


agdavis


Jan 17, 2012, 4:47 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 7, 2009
Posts: 310

Re: [mtngonzo] Custom shoes for gimp?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mtngonzo wrote:
HI All
Looking for help. Lost 10 toes and 2 heels last year and having trouble getting my climbing shoes to stay on with my prosthesis. I've already gotten a pair of custom cycling shoes and they have mad a HUGE difference. The guy who built them is willing to loan out the custom lasts for a pair of climbing shoes but I haven't found anyone who does custom shoes. My old shoes are almost new but talking to Rock and Resole it is really pretty difficult to "cut them down". Anyone have any suggestions?? Like to get something before outside climbing season really gets going.

thanks!
David

Also, why can't the guy who built your cycling shoes make them? Getting the rubber is fairly simple - you can buy a resole kit. As for the rest of the shoe, that's what your cobbler is for.


mtngonzo


Jan 17, 2012, 5:29 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2599 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 17, 2012
Posts: 3

Re: [agdavis] Custom shoes for gimp?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

with respect to the cycling shoe guy it is an idea I had and I hinted around with him but he didn't seem too interested in attempting to learn about rock shoes. His cycling business is keeping him pretty busy.

Thanks for the SO Cal suggestions.


bearbreeder


Jan 17, 2012, 6:01 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2589 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [mtngonzo] Custom shoes for gimp?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

try contacting paradox sports ... they help people with certain challenges

they may know of a cobbler ...


shockabuku


Jan 17, 2012, 6:14 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2586 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4862

Re: [bearbreeder] Custom shoes for gimp?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
try contacting paradox sports ... they help people with certain challenges

they may know of a cobbler ...

What he said. I think Evolve made Craig's shoe... http://www.climbing.com/...than_able/index.html


mtngonzo


Jan 17, 2012, 7:49 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2567 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 17, 2012
Posts: 3

Re: [shockabuku] Custom shoes for gimp?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climbing is a small world. Mal and the Paradox sports gang have been awesome in helping me adjust, indeed probably stopped me from loosing the rest of my feet from attempting to "play" to early after the amputations. Right now I'm a bit more normal then many of the rest of the Paradox mob, so no luck yet, with shoe ideas.

WRT to high top shoes it is looking like that is where I'll have to go. The good news is if I can get them at REI and they don't work out then at least I should be able to bring them back.


sharonz911


Aug 23, 2012, 1:49 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1693 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 23, 2012
Posts: 2

Re: [mtngonzo] Custom shoes for gimp?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mtngonzo wrote:
climbing is a small world. Mal and the Paradox sports gang have been awesome in helping me adjust, indeed probably stopped me from loosing the rest of my feet from attempting to "play" to early after the amputations. Right now I'm a bit more normal then many of the rest of the Paradox mob, so no luck yet, with shoe ideas.

WRT to high top shoes it is looking like that is where I'll have to go. The good news is if I can get them at REI and they don't work out then at least I should be able to bring them back.

SmileSmile


(This post was edited by sharonz911 on Aug 23, 2012, 1:53 AM)


Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook