Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Worst photos of RC.com
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 Next page Last page  View All

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jan 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #3126 of 3255 (8000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Worst photos of RC.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
j_ung wrote:

Although, with some contrast and a better background, this could be some sweet, sweet shit.

That is amazing. We need to all vote it five stars to get it on the FP.

Mission Accomplished!

qwert

Jan 20, 2012, 2:45 PM
Post #3127 of 3255 (7942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ilikepargo] Worst photos of RC.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ilikepargo wrote:
Should this be here?

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/479426-largest_climbing_in_el_paso_043.jpg[/image]
I would say it should.

As should this.
Seriously, use your brain! Holds have different forms and colors for a reason, no need for dozends of colored tapes. And definitely not for such large ones!

qwert

Partner cracklover

Jan 20, 2012, 3:48 PM
Post #3128 of 3255 (7928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Worst photos of RC.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
ilikepargo wrote:
Should this be here?

I would say it should.

Um, I would say not really. It's not great, but not so terrible as to be funny, either. But hey, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

In reply to:

As should this.
Seriously, use your brain! Holds have different forms and colors for a reason, no need for dozends of colored tapes. And definitely not for such large ones!

qwert

Um... ever heard of a dyno comp?

GO

jakedatc

Jan 20, 2012, 5:19 PM
Post #3129 of 3255 (7904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Worst photos of RC.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
qwert wrote:
ilikepargo wrote:
Should this be here?

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/479426-largest_climbing_in_el_paso_043.jpg[/image]
I would say it should.

Um, I would say not really. It's not great, but not so terrible as to be funny, either. But hey, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

In reply to:

As should this.

qwert

GO

Qwert's Can't Jump Cool

qwert

Jan 20, 2012, 6:32 PM
Post #3130 of 3255 (7882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
In reply to:
[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/480156-largest_dyno.jpg[/image]
As should this.

qwert

GO
Yes, I heard of that stuff. Just as with indoor bouldering or even indoor bouldering comps!
I can see the use of tape if you have a wall full of holds and you just cant remove all holds before a comp, but in this case all the holds available have different colors and different forms, so there is no need to further distinguish them.
Where i am bouldering there are only two cases where tape gets used: To mark the top and the zones (only for comps) and to mark areas that are off (e.g. if a feature that you cant remove is not in a boulder, also only in comps).
Other than that, its either colored holds (comps), or simply "Ok, you start at that big black rectangle, the grab the boob sloper, change to the red Mr. Burns, then those two green Stoneloves, on to the tiger then you jump the the "Bierhenkel"(~large jug, like those on the big german beer glasses). Next is the dildo, and then the neon pink, and top out in the ceiling hole". Good brain training, if you actually have to remember stuff!

qwert

jakedatc

Jan 20, 2012, 6:59 PM
Post #3131 of 3255 (7864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
cracklover wrote:
In reply to:
[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/480156-largest_dyno.jpg[/image]
As should this.

qwert

GO
Yes, I heard of that stuff. Just as with indoor bouldering or even indoor bouldering comps!
I can see the use of tape if you have a wall full of holds and you just cant remove all holds before a comp, but in this case all the holds available have different colors and different forms, so there is no need to further distinguish them.
Where i am bouldering there are only two cases where tape gets used: To mark the top and the zones (only for comps) and to mark areas that are off (e.g. if a feature that you cant remove is not in a boulder, also only in comps).
Other than that, its either colored holds (comps), or simply "Ok, you start at that big black rectangle, the grab the boob sloper, change to the red Mr. Burns, then those two green Stoneloves, on to the tiger then you jump the the "Bierhenkel"(~large jug, like those on the big german beer glasses). Next is the dildo, and then the neon pink, and top out in the ceiling hole". Good brain training, if you actually have to remember stuff!

qwert

Well, in most US gym comps that are not regional or nationals there are a lot of routes on the same wall that need to be taped. Dyno comps are also taped to make it easier to judge. Black to black, blue to black, blue to red, red to black.. etc they can set 5 starts and 5 finishes and have a lot of variations.

Partner j_ung

Jan 20, 2012, 8:19 PM
Post #3132 of 3255 (7828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ilikepargo] Worst photos of RC.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ilikepargo wrote:
Should this be here?

Hells yes it should.

shockabuku

Jan 21, 2012, 2:33 PM
Post #3133 of 3255 (7771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Worst photos of RC.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This guy is getting to be a star. Anyone got a third?

kobaz

Jan 21, 2012, 5:47 PM
Post #3134 of 3255 (7744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:

I find that you become very limited in routesetting when restricted to only using holds of the same color (unless the gym has an unlimited budget). Route tape is made for a reason... use it!

johnwesely

Jan 21, 2012, 5:51 PM
Post #3135 of 3255 (7742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kobaz] Worst photos of RC.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
qwert wrote:

I find that you become very limited in routesetting when restricted to only using holds of the same color (unless the gym has an unlimited budget). Route tape is made for a reason... use it!

When a gym does have an unlimited budget, Stone Summit in Atlanta, it is pretty glorious.

qwert

Jan 21, 2012, 7:49 PM
Post #3136 of 3255 (7728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
qwert wrote:

For routes i can understand it. It's kinda "strenuous" if you have to memorize dozens and dozens of holds, but for boulders? Apart from competitions, where you simply do not have the time to "learn and memorize" a boulder, its simply not necessary.
Brains are made for a reason… use it!

(I dont want to start a flamewar here, but i stand by my opinion that the excessive amount of tape in the pic makes it worthwhile of this thread)

qwert

climbingtrash

Jan 21, 2012, 8:30 PM
Post #3137 of 3255 (7717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
kobaz wrote:
qwert wrote:

For routes i can understand it. It's kinda "strenuous" if you have to memorize dozens and dozens of holds, but for boulders? Apart from competitions, where you simply do not have the time to "learn and memorize" a boulder, its simply not necessary.

(I dont want to start a flamewar here, but i stand by my opinion that the excessive amount of tape in the pic makes it worthwhile of this thread)

qwert

yore doing it rong.

[image]insert bad picture here[/image]

kobaz

Jan 21, 2012, 8:37 PM
Post #3138 of 3255 (7715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
kobaz wrote:
qwert wrote:

qwert

Commercial rock gyms in the US for the most part have taped routes for roped climbing and bouldering too. I'm not sure what sort of gym that you prefer, but it's pretty much a standard here to tape routes and then grade them. I'm not sure why you would need to memorize a boulder route if they are already taped. Although, there are plenty of instances where people get bored and just start climbing around and wind up making a really good new untaped route that people subsequently will remember. If people like it enough it will get taped up.

jakedatc

Jan 21, 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #3139 of 3255 (7682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kobaz wrote:
qwert wrote:
kobaz wrote:
qwert wrote:

qwert

Commercial rock gyms in the US for the most part have taped routes for roped climbing and bouldering too. I'm not sure what sort of gym that you prefer, but it's pretty much a standard here to tape routes and then grade them. I'm not sure why you would need to memorize a boulder route if they are already taped. Although, there are plenty of instances where people get bored and just start climbing around and wind up making a really good new untaped route that people subsequently will remember. If people like it enough it will get taped up.

we have a gym near me that sets by colored holds and it is terrible. they have white holds and other light colored holds that get covered in shoe rubber and all look the same. they also do bullshit like blue/red = .7 blue =.8 red=.10

luckily they tape their boulder problems.

Try to find certain routes without the tape here Qwert...

how about now?

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Jan 21, 2012, 10:55 PM)

qwert

Jan 22, 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #3140 of 3255 (7633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Worst photos of RC.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
kobaz wrote:
qwert wrote:
kobaz wrote:
qwert wrote:

qwert

The way i know it, someone winds up to make a really nice boulder. You tell it someone else and he/she tries it too. If its good, someone else also tries it, and tells it someone else. so the route simply gets "marked" by word of mouth propaganda.
And a week later you come back, and someone tells you a new route, and you realize, "wait, that start, thats my route!" "Wait, No! thats not how i continued!" "Ah, OK, I see. Actually that finish makes more sense than mine. Cool, lemme try!"

In reply to:
we have a gym near me that sets by colored holds and it is terrible. they have white holds and other light colored holds that get covered in shoe rubber and all look the same. they also do bullshit like blue/red = .7 blue =.8 red=.10

luckily they tape their boulder problems.

Try to find certain routes without the tape here Qwert...

how about now?
The horror!
thats how plastic is supposed to look:

Bouldering comp:

Just "clean" the walls beforehand, and set the routes by color.

noncomp bouldering:

Note the lack of tape!

Sorry, those pics arent from the site, but at least the latter one is not that good.

qwert

qwert

Jan 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
Post #3141 of 3255 (7631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And to make up for my blasphemy - actual discussion of something thats not bad photos, and posting non rc.n00b pics - i did spend some time repenting my sins, and crawled around this sites photo DB.

Its getting really hard to find the really worst offenders, but bad is still and easy catch:

Upside down + mustache!

Updside down!
(Yeah, i know, those pics arent bad per se - and those routes are amazing, as is the skill to actually climb such routes, but the sheer fact that someone would be stupid enough to climb something like that, makes it bad! (not that i wouldnt want to climb that too, but thats another issue…))

Again, quality aint too bad (wide angle lens?), but
"My friends have an air-shaft in their bathroom... I thought I would just pop on in."
WHAT?

Euro spandex attack!
(that poor val di Mello)

Pics like these are a diamond a dozen…

I like the comments…

qwert

Partner cracklover

Jan 22, 2012, 2:43 PM
Post #3142 of 3255 (7607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Qwert: ten day time-out for posting not-all-that-bad pics in the *Worst* thread. You would've escaped punishment if only you hadn't argued about it, and then posted even *more* not-that-bad pics (the offwidth inverts).

Ok, enough of that.

Here's a new one. The title is "Gene near the top of Jump Start"

The caption says "This photo shows the upper part of Jump Start"

GSly

Partner camhead

Jan 22, 2012, 3:30 PM
Post #3143 of 3255 (7602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Qwert: ten day time-out for posting not-all-that-bad pics in the *Worst* thread. You would've escaped punishment if only you hadn't argued about it, and then posted even *more* not-that-bad pics (the offwidth inverts).

I second that motion.

Also, to everyone in the thread, it would be cool if, when you post the pics, you also post a link to the pic's page, so that we can see comments, info, photographer, etc., and maybe even vote it 5 stars.

climbingtrash

Jan 22, 2012, 3:37 PM
Post #3144 of 3255 (7599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Worst photos of RC.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
cracklover wrote:

I second that motion.

Also, to everyone in the thread, it would be cool if, when you post the pics, you also post a link to the pic's page, so that we can see comments, info, photographer, etc., and maybe even vote it 5 stars.

I almost got GU'd! I vote aye on the 10 day suspenshun. And linking to the profile would be a great rule guideline.

qwert

Jan 22, 2012, 4:14 PM
Post #3145 of 3255 (7594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingtrash] Worst photos of RC.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingtrash wrote:
camhead wrote:
cracklover wrote:

I second that motion.

I almost got GU'd! I vote aye on the 10 day suspenshun. And linking to the profile would be a great rule guideline.
Then so be it.
I am out of this thread until the 1st of February.

And here is a great pic without link, just to piss y'all off:

Angelic

qwert

PS: Tape on indoor routes and boulders sucks, and is a sign that only brainless idiots climb at said location!

johnwesely

Jan 22, 2012, 4:24 PM
Post #3146 of 3255 (7589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

qwert wrote:

PS: Tape on indoor routes and boulders sucks, and is a sign that only brainless idiots climb at said location!

Brainless idiot here!

jakedatc

Jan 22, 2012, 8:07 PM
Post #3147 of 3255 (7552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
camhead wrote:
cracklover wrote:

I second that motion.

Then so be it.

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/468976-largest_For_Whomresized.jpg[/image]
Angelic

qwert

as opposed to the brainless idiots that have to set by color and have a limited selection of what holds they can use each route... silly Euro..

Partner camhead

Jan 22, 2012, 8:23 PM
Post #3148 of 3255 (7550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Worst photos of RC.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
qwert wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
camhead wrote:
cracklover wrote:

I second that motion.

Then so be it.

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/468976-largest_For_Whomresized.jpg[/image]
Angelic

qwert

as opposed to the brainless idiots that have to set by color and have a limited selection of what holds they can use each route... silly Euro..

I would respond by telling Qwert that he doesnt know what he's talking about, but that would just encourage him to post more in here.

Oh, and, just to keep this thread rolling...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...w_bluffs_119167.html

Lazlo

Jan 22, 2012, 8:37 PM
Post #3149 of 3255 (7546 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Worst photos of RC.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone noticed that bolt placement?

shockabuku

Jan 22, 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #3150 of 3255 (7530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
Pics like these are a diamond a dozen…

qwert

Wow. Dime a dozen. A dime is one tenth of a dollar, i.e. not worth much.

And in case you are not familiar with them, diamonds are generally considered to be fairly valuable.

First page Previous page 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook