RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Lazlo

Jan 20, 2012, 7:32 PM
Post #1 of 10 (3697 views)
Shortcut

Best Eastern Sierra multi-day rock and ice locations
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking at having some time by myself in the Eastern Sierras in the next couple months.....

What areas could be recommended as a skin-in area for soloing some routes? I'm down for couloirs, mixed, ice, and class 3-4 rock.

That said; I do have a list of areas I want to hit as the weather turns warmer in spring... I'm really looking for opinions on worthy routes at this time of year, climbing solo.

An example would be The Palisades... but the 12 mile committed distance kills it for me. I think I could do with a 12 mile round trip.

Thoughts?

(Edit: to make the title plural rather than singular.)

(This post was edited by Lazlo on Jan 20, 2012, 7:33 PM)

Durin

Jan 22, 2012, 8:43 PM
Post #2 of 10 (3631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Best Eastern Sierra multi-day rock and ice locations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was going to say Palisades...

Supposedly there are ice routes on North Peak. It's usually a September thing I hear, but I bet with the low snow year you could still get in there fairly easily.

Iceberg lake lets you into the Mountaineers route on Whitney - multiple couloirs and 4th class steps.

Iceberg is also good access to Mt. Russell. In between the classics like fishook arete, diamond arete...etc are class 4 gullies. I soloed one in July one year and it felt pretty casual.

Lazlo

Jan 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #3 of 10 (3621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Durin] Best Eastern Sierra multi-day rock and ice locations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Durin wrote:
I was going to say Palisades...

Supposedly there are ice routes on North Peak. It's usually a September thing I hear, but I bet with the low snow year you could still get in there fairly easily.

Iceberg lake lets you into the Mountaineers route on Whitney - multiple couloirs and 4th class steps.

Iceberg is also good access to Mt. Russell. In between the classics like fishook arete, diamond arete...etc are class 4 gullies. I soloed one in July one year and it felt pretty casual.

Thanks for the tips. North Peak is going to be a little far now. 120 is closed, so that puts a damper on it.

I might spend some skiing time around Whitney. Might give Thor a try. It tempts me every time I'm in the area.

Lazlo

Jan 22, 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #4 of 10 (3618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Sawtooth Ridge area and Split Mountain look like they could be good.

i_h8_choss

Jan 23, 2012, 9:39 AM
Post #5 of 10 (3581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
I'm looking at having some time by myself in the Eastern Sierras in the next couple months.....

What areas could be recommended as a skin-in area for soloing some routes? I'm down for couloirs, mixed, ice, and class 3-4 rock.

That said; I do have a list of areas I want to hit as the weather turns warmer in spring... I'm really looking for opinions on worthy routes at this time of year, climbing solo.

An example would be The Palisades... but the 12 mile committed distance kills it for me. I think I could do with a 12 mile round trip.

Thoughts?

base out of Lee Vining?

Dana couloir, Conness, Bear Creek Spire, Mt Darwin, Bishop Pass, Mountaineers Route, Mt. Tyndall, ski near Bridgeport, the White Mtns., Mammoth, Tahoe and climb ice, Bishop sport and boulders.

Lazlo

Jan 24, 2012, 4:22 PM
Post #6 of 10 (3558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] Best Eastern Sierra multi-day rock and ice locations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

Thoughts?

base out of Lee Vining?

Dana couloir, Conness, Bear Creek Spire, Mt Darwin, Bishop Pass, Mountaineers Route, Mt. Tyndall, ski near Bridgeport, the White Mtns., Mammoth, Tahoe and climb ice, Bishop sport and boulders.

I'll be based out of Lone Pine/Whitney. However, I'll be driving North to get home, so anywhere, really, is going to be fine for me.

How will the approach to Dana be? On Google Maps, it looks to be around 6 miles, as the bird flies, from 395.

i_h8_choss

Jan 29, 2012, 9:36 PM
Post #7 of 10 (3455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

Thoughts?

base out of Lee Vining?

I'll be based out of Lone Pine/Whitney. However, I'll be driving North to get home, so anywhere, really, is going to be fine for me.

How will the approach to Dana be? On Google Maps, it looks to be around 6 miles, as the bird flies, from 395.

Currently caltrans says the road is closed 5 miles west of the 395 jnct. So that'll get you up the grade a bit. Not sure where exactly. Then hike/ski, or hitch a snowmobile ride (Lol) up the road past Tioga Pass resort (open year round, no?) and a couple lakes. It'd be a long day, yes. A real early start.

If you could afford it, stay at TPR. The approach from Tioga Lk to the couloir is short and easy. Plus ski down the west face or nw ridge for a quick decent. I've only done this peak in summer but that couloir looks great! Must be awesome in the winter. I've seen some winter time pics of this peak on the web somewhere. I'll pm you a link.

Lazlo

Jan 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #8 of 10 (3451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] Best Eastern Sierra multi-day rock and ice locations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

Thoughts?

base out of Lee Vining?

Currently caltrans says the road is closed 5 miles west of the 395 jnct. So that'll get you up the grade a bit. Not sure where exactly. Then hike/ski, or hitch a snowmobile ride (Lol) up the road past Tioga Pass resort (open year round, no?) and a couple lakes. It'd be a long day, yes. A real early start.

If you could afford it, stay at TPR. The approach from Tioga Lk to the couloir is short and easy. Plus ski down the west face or nw ridge for a quick decent. I've only done this peak in summer but that couloir looks great! Must be awesome in the winter. I've seen some winter time pics of this peak on the web somewhere. I'll pm you a link.

Thanks for the beta! I got your PM. Looks like a good option.

i_h8_choss

Jan 30, 2012, 5:58 AM
Post #9 of 10 (3413 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

Thoughts?

base out of Lee Vining?

Yo Lazlo have you considered hwy168 west out of Bishop? Might get you up to 7/8000'. Mt Humphreys and Basin Mtn. are good and close peaks.

Lazlo

Feb 13, 2012, 12:41 AM
Post #10 of 10 (3214 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

Thoughts?

base out of Lee Vining?

Yo Lazlo have you considered hwy168 west out of Bishop? Might get you up to 7/8000'. Mt Humphreys and Basin Mtn. are good and close peaks.

Sorry I missed your response. I just now saw it.

....I just spent the last half hour researching the area. Mt. Emerson North Couloir looks pretty excellent.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook