Forums: Climbing Information: Climbing History & Trivia:
Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Partner camhead

Jan 24, 2012, 12:55 AM
Post #176 of 206 (18179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
sisu wrote:
This is one of the most ridiculous threads I've ever seen

Says the dude that's posing down with the Tap Out boyz.

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/480246-largest_Tapout.jpg[/image]

Kick ass!!!

This one should be on the front page.

gawd the new rule of no "non-climbing photoz of radness" shall be voted onto the FP blows.

Lego Larry is still on the FP

Yeah, and that was slacklining! I could see a lego climbing pic, but slacking? Banz him now!

areyoumydude

Jan 24, 2012, 1:13 AM
Post #177 of 206 (18172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
sisu wrote:

Kick ass!!!

gawd the new rule of no "non-climbing photoz of radness" shall be voted onto the FP blows.

Yeah, and that was slacklining! I could see a lego climbing pic, but slacking? Banz him now!

Damn lego liners.

lena_chita

Jan 24, 2012, 1:19 AM
Post #178 of 206 (18170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
curt wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
Oh, and I've climbed with Curt!

Oh yeah, me too! ONCE! But then he got scared that I would onflash all of his testpiece local problems, and he bailed on me.

Hmmm... I remember it somewhat differently. Then again (as has already been pointed out) I am getting old. In any event, I am officially designating "April Showers" as my favorite Gunks route, in memory of my visit there with you and the clamheads.

Curt

I guess my memory is not getting better with time, either...

I thought it was Golden Showers, where we all ate dirt, while you patiently demonstrated that really, the start moves were so easy that they could be done is approach shoes?

I am sure you can pick a few faves like that in Hueco-- want to try in march?

Well personally, I'd prefer to check out some of that new JT bouldering. Hueco has lost much of its appeal for me with all the new regulatory BS there.

Curt

JT is definitely going on the list. But not for this march.

curt

Jan 24, 2012, 4:51 AM
Post #179 of 206 (18148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
curt wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
curt wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
Oh, and I've climbed with Curt!

Oh yeah, me too! ONCE! But then he got scared that I would onflash all of his testpiece local problems, and he bailed on me.

Hmmm... I remember it somewhat differently. Then again (as has already been pointed out) I am getting old. In any event, I am officially designating "April Showers" as my favorite Gunks route, in memory of my visit there with you and the clamheads.

Curt

I guess my memory is not getting better with time, either...

I thought it was Golden Showers, where we all ate dirt, while you patiently demonstrated that really, the start moves were so easy that they could be done is approach shoes?

I am sure you can pick a few faves like that in Hueco-- want to try in march?

Well personally, I'd prefer to check out some of that new JT bouldering. Hueco has lost much of its appeal for me with all the new regulatory BS there.

Curt

JT is definitely going on the list. But not for this march.

Have fun and enjoy the mind numbing indoctrination video. By the way, you will never get those 30 minutes of your life back. Cool

Curt

climbingtrash

Jan 24, 2012, 7:04 AM
Post #180 of 206 (18129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
climbingtrash wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
sisu wrote:

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/480246-largest_Tapout.jpg[/image]

Kick ass!!!

Ha, yeah, just saw that in fact.

areyoumydude

Jan 24, 2012, 10:47 PM
Post #181 of 206 (18103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
sisu wrote:

Damn, I guess MMA dood went home with the ball.

caughtinside

Jan 24, 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #182 of 206 (18092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
areyoumydude wrote:
sisu wrote:

Damn, I guess MMA dood went home with the ball.

That's a shame, just when he hit the front page!

mikebarter387

Oct 1, 2013, 5:09 AM
Post #183 of 206 (16668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Guy LaCelle Junkyard and many places later
Sir Edmond Hillery Tea at the Whyte Museum Banff

mikebarter387

Oct 1, 2013, 5:11 AM
Post #184 of 206 (16668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe McKay Banff

climbingtrash

Oct 8, 2013, 12:06 AM
Post #185 of 206 (16588 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebarter387] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

mikebarter387 wrote:
Joe McKay Banff

who's that?

pecall

Jan 20, 2014, 4:10 PM
Post #186 of 206 (16212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbed with Craig Luebben in Eldorado and Boulder Canyons in 1979.
Climbed with Carlos Buhler in Sweden in 1989.
Climbed with Ed Webster in Sweden in 1991.

JohnCook

Jan 20, 2014, 5:12 PM
Post #187 of 206 (16201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Several famous people have climbed with me, but so far they have been too awestruck and modest to come on here and tell everyone!

s6141a

May 24, 2014, 12:20 PM
Post #188 of 206 (15069 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by s6141a [In reply to]
Report this Post

sungam

May 24, 2014, 1:36 PM
Post #189 of 206 (15056 views)
Shortcut

Re: [s6141a] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What, just "UK"? Everyone else gets the exact area you climbed with them in but the UK is just "The UK"? Fuck you, man, we have feelings and distinct indentifiable climbing destinations too, you know. Unimpressed

granite_grrl

May 25, 2014, 1:08 AM
Post #190 of 206 (15022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
What, just "UK"? Everyone else gets the exact area you climbed with them in but the UK is just "The UK"? Fuck you, man, we have feelings and distinct indentifiable climbing destinations too, you know. Unimpressed

Unimpressed <- this is my unimpressed face.

sungam

May 25, 2014, 9:25 AM
Post #191 of 206 (15011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
sungam wrote:

Unimpressed <- this is my unimpressed face.
So you're as unimpressed at his "UK" usage, at my response, or this thread in general?

Gmburns2000

May 25, 2014, 4:28 PM
Post #192 of 206 (14998 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

I see you quoted his post well.

sungam

May 25, 2014, 7:04 PM
Post #193 of 206 (14991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
sungam wrote:

I see you quoted his post well.
Awwww man, I was just kidding around. I hope I didn't legit insult him. Unsure

He just mentioned some cool people he enjoyed climbing with and the place they climbed (yosemite, etc.) but then just said "UK" for one of them.

If you're still there Mr dudebroman, you should come back. I didn't mean to scare you off Frown

s6141a

May 25, 2014, 9:38 PM
Post #194 of 206 (14984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I very rarely post here, and decided to delete my post, since the whole thing is kind of foolish spraying. To be more explicit concerning Alex MacIntyre.
It was over 40 years ago, that I climbed with him outside of Leeds, England, along with John Porter, and a few others. I visited quite a few areas, over several trips, so my memory is vague. Porter has written a book on Alex, Voytech Kurtyka, and others, which will be published in July.

Gmburns2000

May 25, 2014, 11:26 PM
Post #195 of 206 (14978 views)
Shortcut

Re: [s6141a] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

s6141a wrote:
I very rarely post here, and decided to delete my post, since the whole thing is kind of foolish spraying. To be more explicit concerning Alex MacIntyre.
It was over 40 years ago, that I climbed with him outside of Leeds, England, along with John Porter, and a few others. I visited quite a few areas, over several trips, so my memory is vague. Porter has written a book on Alex, Voytech Kurtyka, and others, which will be published in July.

Don't worry about jeff jim jonathan jack ceebo magnus. he just gets a bit worked up at times. he's probably not even voting SNP in the fall. he just wants some love that's all. in fact, sounds as if you might have some stories and he'd be down to hearing them. the dude has some stories himself, too.

sungam

May 26, 2014, 10:43 AM
Post #196 of 206 (14962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
s6141a wrote:

Don't worry about jeff jim jonathan jack ceebo magnus. he just gets a bit worked up at times. he's probably not even voting SNP in the fall. he just wants some love that's all. in fact, sounds as if you might have some stories and he'd be down to hearing them. the dude has some stories himself, too.
Shit dude, I LOVE stories.

What's with the other names, though, did I miss a joke? If it's at my expense - fuck yoself, burnsy.

What's the title or Porter's book going to be?

sungam

May 26, 2014, 10:54 AM
Post #197 of 206 (14956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also there are enough nationalist and racist movements gaining momentum in the UK right now, I don't need to vote for another.

Also, please don't tie SNP to the yes vote like I think you are. They are very different topics, and defining a party by a single policy that is being voted on separately is silly.

s6141a

May 26, 2014, 11:06 AM
Post #198 of 206 (14953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam,

Porter was here in New Hampshire,(US), a few days ago, for a brief visit. He told me the name of the book, but I already forgot it, sorry. I will email him soon, and will let you know later. He told me that he was vice president of the Alpine Club, and suggested I join, since they offer free bunkhouse space in London. Do you live in England or Scotland?

sungam

May 26, 2014, 11:08 AM
Post #199 of 206 (14952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live up in sunny Edinburgh, Scotland (though if elections keep going the way they are, not for much longer since I'm a dirty unwelcome forner).

s6141a

May 26, 2014, 11:39 AM
Post #200 of 206 (14942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam,

In 1970, I had a brief encounter with Don Whillans, up in Llanberis Pass. I remember it vividly, since I felt like such an ass.

I was young and impressionable, and was sitting in the local pub or tea shop. I was with a guy from Manchester, Wilber King, who I still climb with. He lives in the Blue Mtns., outside Sydney.

In any case, I whispered to Wilber, " do any of the famous climbers come in here". Wilber replied, " well Don Whillans is sitting right in front of you". The whole time Whillans was looking at me, only 6 feet away, with a scowl on his face. I felt so dumb!
Jim Donini, an old friend of mine, told me a month ago, that when he was giving a lecture to the Alpine Club, many years ago, Don Whillans bought him a beer. Jim is quite proud of that since apparently Whillans rarely, if ever, bought anyone a beer. I guess this falls under climbing trivia tales.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook