RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

dreday3000

Jan 30, 2012, 1:42 PM
Post #1 of 11 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Backpack rec
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm retiring my old backpack. Hoping to get some recommendations from the good folks at RC.com

I am looking for a sturdy day pack that can hold a mid to large rack, rope, draws, etc. Mostly used for day trips, but many trips require a 1 -2 hour approach so a decent suspension system is preferred.

I tend to pack on the heavy side so I'm thinking a 35 L backpack is ideal.

Right now I'm looking at the following:

http://www.rei.com/product/823025/arcteryx-silo-40-ski-pack

http://www.rei.com/product/766748/arcteryx-miura-30-pack
(like the open zipping system)

Any recommendations?

Gmburns2000

Jan 30, 2012, 1:53 PM
Post #2 of 11 (5806 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] Backpack rec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dreday3000 wrote:
I'm retiring my old backpack. Hoping to get some recommendations from the good folks at RC.com

I am looking for a sturdy day pack that can hold a mid to large rack, rope, draws, etc. Mostly used for day trips, but many trips require a 1 -2 hour approach so a decent suspension system is preferred.

Any recommendations?

It's a bit bigger than you say you want, but I absolutely love this pack: Gregory Alpinista 50

It's super comfy (suspension system is really well made), and it's easy to use / wear while climbing.

Of course, it's size makes things difficult for those intermediate climbs where a smaller pack is ideal.

lena_chita

Jan 30, 2012, 3:29 PM
Post #3 of 11 (5763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dreday3000 wrote:

Any recommendations?

Why would you want a ski pack for climbing?

Everyone I know who has Miura pack likes it, and I am considering it for when I need a new pack. The only thing that I wish was different about this pack is the fact that the back of the pack is not rigid and doesn't have external framing to keep it up, so when you open it, it collapses, especially if you actually used the gear loops to clip things to it.

I wish it would actually stand up when opened like the pictures show it does:

Other than that, I think it is a really good pack.

Partner camhead

Jan 30, 2012, 4:12 PM
Post #4 of 11 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not going to be getting a new pack anytime soon, but I still really don't like the one that I have now (Mountain Hardwear Koa 55; it's been discontinued), and it has shown me a lot of features that I am going to look for in my next crag pack.

1. Some sort of rigid base that allows it to stand up more or less on its own. A lot of ultralight "streamlined" packs have a curved base, and are always tipping over. This can actually really suck if you have set your pack up at the top of a steep talus slope or on a ledge.

2. Auxiliary pockets that are not integrated into the pack's body. My pack right now has plenty of extra pockets, but they all are little pouches, accessible from outside the pack, but that rest inside the pack's body. What this means is, when your pack is loaded to its max capacity, the load is pressing against the extra pockets, and it is hard to get stuff in or out of them. A large top flap pocket is really nice.

dreday3000

Jan 30, 2012, 4:15 PM
Post #5 of 11 (5751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Backpack rec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Dunno, I just figured it looked to be about the right size and pretty slim. Are climbing backpacks significantly better for any particular reason?

In reply to:

Everyone I know who has Miura pack likes it, and I am considering it for when I need a new pack. The only thing that I wish was different about this pack is the fact that the back of the pack is not rigid and doesn't have external framing to keep it up, so when you open it, it collapses, especially if you actually used the gear loops to clip things to it.

The Miura does look nice. i like the open design (clamshell?) which allows easier access to gear.

Gmburns,
I'll check out that Alpanista as well. It looks a little big but I'm planning to bring my kit to the store to see how much space I actually need.

Thanks guys.

lena_chita

Jan 30, 2012, 5:13 PM
Post #6 of 11 (5735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dreday3000 wrote:
In reply to:

Dunno, I just figured it looked to be about the right size and pretty slim. Are climbing backpacks significantly better for any particular reason?

Not "better", but skiing packs usually have compartments/attachments that are designed to work with snow tools, while a climbing pack design thinks more in terms or rope/hear loops, and not snow shovel/avalanche probe/ski poles.

If you are just looking for a "bag to stuff things into" then it doesn't matter (but then, IMO, you should be looking at different --cheaper--packs). But if you are looking into a bag that actually has things like gear loops that you plan to use to organize your gear -- then, I think, it is better to go with a climbing pack.

sp115

Jan 30, 2012, 6:10 PM
Post #7 of 11 (5718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Backpack rec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
dreday3000 wrote:

Any recommendations?

I wish it would actually stand up when opened like the pictures show it does:

[image]http://www.getoutdoors.com/goblog/uploads/arcteryx_miura.jpg[/image]

Other than that, I think it is a really good pack.

I have the Miura 30L pack and I absolutely love how it loads. It's Arcteryrx, so of course, that means it's well made and somewhat expensive. But it carries a full rack and other misc crap with rope(s) on the outside. If you really want the rope on the inside get the the 50L. But compare them in-person if possible because the 50 definitely feels like a much larger pack.

Idako

Jan 30, 2012, 7:58 PM
Post #8 of 11 (5693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] Backpack rec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the miura 50 (tall is actually 55L), It is definitely a big pack but very durable and the clamshell style opening is very convenient.

The 50 may be a little large but the quality of that model line is solid. One thing to note, there is a main pocket on front and a top pocket (which holds a helmet quite nicely) but other than that there's nothing in the way of organization.

Compared to my osprey which has me discovering new pockets everytime I use it :)

For reference with the miura 50 I am able to load all my gear (set of c4's with doubles in some, tricams, nuts, assorted slings and lockers, harness, 2 pairs of shoes, 100' static line, 30' static line, 60m rope 2-3 litres of water, snacks, guide books first aid kit and helmet and the bag closes up so i have a nice self contained package.

once we get to our spot i just drop it down and rip it open and everything is just there to access, whether packed at the bottom or the top.

dreday3000

Jan 30, 2012, 9:39 PM
Post #9 of 11 (5666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Idako] Backpack rec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the advice.

Think I've got it narrowed down between the Miura 50 short (which brings it to a 45)

http://www.backcountry.com/...kpack-2746-3356cu-in

and the Mountain Hardware Splitter.

http://store.waterstoneoutdoors.com/CartGenie/prod-298.htm

Anyone else want to weight in before I pull the trigger?

yodadave

Jan 30, 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #10 of 11 (5654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They are both great packs but be aware the MH pack is designed for cragging and it's kinda heavy if you hike any distance.

dreday3000

Jan 31, 2012, 12:41 AM
Post #11 of 11 (5627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yodadave] Backpack rec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I ended up buying the Miura 50. Thanks all for the advice.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook