Premier Sponsor:

pinktricam

Feb 2, 2012, 1:55 PM
Post #1 of 17 (1367 views)
Shortcut

So, let's weigh in on this...
Report this Post
Can't Post

Komen, which is one of Planned Parenthood's largest benefactors has ceased funding for that organization because PP is under investigation and Komen is restricted to fund organizations under investigation.

What's the problem?

Planned Parenthood needs only to comply with the investigation, come clean of any unsavory misuse of funds if they exist or show that it is innocent of of the charges and implications that it is using or has misused funding.

Why the uproar?

Comments?

Inquisitions?

blondgecko

Feb 2, 2012, 3:06 PM
Post #2 of 17 (1359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] So, let's weigh in on this... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Komen has explained that the defunding decision was due to the foundation's recently enacted policy to not fund organizations that are under investigation by local, state or federal authorities. That would disqualify Planned Parenthood, which is the subject of a congressional inquiry begun in September by Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) to determine whether it has used federal money to fund abortions, which is forbidden by law.

So all that has to happen to put a hold on funding from Komen to any particular organisation is for one wingnut legislator, at federal, state or local level, to call for an inquiry? No matter how ill-founded? No waiting for the results of that inquiry?

Sounds to me like the Komen foundation has gotten too big for itself - that looking after the interests of the organisation has become more important than actually carrying out the organisation's mission. Sounds like a very good reason to bypass Komen entirely, and contribute directly to the organisations that are actually doing work on the ground. As an added bonus, that way less of your donation disappears into "overhead".

curt

Feb 2, 2012, 7:27 PM
Post #3 of 17 (1333 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] So, let's weigh in on this... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
In reply to:
Komen has explained that the defunding decision was due to the foundation's recently enacted policy to not fund organizations that are under investigation by local, state or federal authorities. That would disqualify Planned Parenthood, which is the subject of a congressional inquiry begun in September by Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) to determine whether it has used federal money to fund abortions, which is forbidden by law.

So all that has to happen to put a hold on funding from Komen to any particular organisation is for one wingnut legislator, at federal, state or local level, to call for an inquiry? No matter how ill-founded? No waiting for the results of that inquiry?

Correct.

Curt

blondgecko

Feb 2, 2012, 8:11 PM
Post #4 of 17 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] So, let's weigh in on this... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
In reply to:

Correct.

Curt

Damn. That's... convenient.

lena_chita

Feb 3, 2012, 8:55 AM
Post #5 of 17 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
curt wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
In reply to:

Correct.

Curt

Damn. That's... convenient.

iwonder if Rep. Cliff Stearns was aware of this? Seems like too much intelligence to credit the guy for, but...

I can play conspiracy theory, too!

traddad

Feb 3, 2012, 9:28 AM
Post #6 of 17 (1279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Komen, which is one of Planned Parenthood's largest benefactors has ceased funding for that organization because PP is under investigation and Komen is restricted to fund organizations under investigation.

What's the problem?

Planned Parenthood needs only to comply with the investigation, come clean of any unsavory misuse of funds if they exist or show that it is innocent of of the charges and implications that it is using or has misused funding.

Why the uproar?

Comments?

Inquisitions?

Well, looks like Komen blinked.
http://www.npr.org/...%3Fsc%3Dfb&cc=fp
Seems like a lot of folks think women's health is important.

curt

Feb 3, 2012, 1:12 PM
Post #7 of 17 (1256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] So, let's weigh in on this... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
pinktricam wrote:

What's the problem?

Why the uproar?

Comments?

Inquisitions?

Well, looks like Komen blinked.
http://www.npr.org/...%3Fsc%3Dfb&cc=fp

They no doubt noticed that Pinky agreed with their initial action--and therefore realized they were in the wrong.

Curt

Partner j_ung

Feb 3, 2012, 1:27 PM
Post #8 of 17 (1250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:

What's the problem?

Why the uproar?

Comments?

Inquisitions?

Bit of a moot point now, but my understanding is that PP is audited pretty much every year and they come squeaky clean each time. Honestly, I'm really trying to be impartial here—it's difficult for me to see how the investigation is anything but a witch hunt, and how Komen's decision to halt funding was anything other than a miscalculation on the part of one of its officers.

Partner j_ung

Feb 3, 2012, 1:28 PM
Post #9 of 17 (1248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:

Including the Komen Foundation itself. Let's not forget that organization's immensely positive impact on women's health.

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 4, 2012, 4:19 PM
Post #10 of 17 (1208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:

What's the problem?

Seems they themselves have noted and corrected the problem... They have ammended their policy to not deny funding to organizations under investigation, but instead, one's where the investigation has been completed, and there was evidence of wrongdoing.

No problem any more... Seems reason prevailed, albeit, with a little bit of guidance.

blondgecko

Feb 5, 2012, 1:13 AM
Post #11 of 17 (1184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] So, let's weigh in on this... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:

What's the problem?

Seems they themselves have noted and corrected the problem... They have ammended their policy to not deny funding to organizations under investigation, but instead, one's where the investigation has been completed, and there was evidence of wrongdoing.

No problem any more... Seems reason prevailed, albeit, with a little bit of guidance.

So... PTC, care to weigh in on this?

pinktricam

Feb 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #12 of 17 (988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:

Let's just say that I may be able to sympathize with a substantial portion of the population a bit more than you may be able to...

Komen-Planned Parenthood showdown was a long time coming

STLtoday.com wrote:
"You cannot be a life-affirming organization in league with an organization that kills people," [Eve Sanchez Silver] said.

No offense, I hope.

traddad

Mar 1, 2012, 5:30 AM
Post #13 of 17 (966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
blondgecko wrote:

Let's just say that I may be able to sympathize with a substantial portion of the population a bit more than you may be able to...

STLtoday.com wrote:
"You cannot be a life-affirming organization in league with an organization that kills people," [Eve Sanchez Silver] said.

No offense, I hope.

Once again, we'll all take this more seriously, and without a knowing smirk when you repudiate capital punishment.

Partner j_ung

Mar 1, 2012, 5:35 AM
Post #14 of 17 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
blondgecko wrote:

STLtoday.com wrote:

No offense, I hope.

Once again, we'll all take this more seriously, and without a knowing smirk when you repudiate capital punishment.

Oh, snap.

pinktricam

Mar 1, 2012, 6:41 AM
Post #15 of 17 (959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] So, let's weigh in on this... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
traddad wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
blondgecko wrote:

STLtoday.com wrote:

No offense, I hope.

Oh, snap.

It's been some time that my opinion of the death penalty had made an about face.

As I suggested to doc in another thread, please try and keep up. It's less embarrassing that way, instead of trotting out your uninformed assumptions.

(This post was edited by pinktricam on Mar 1, 2012, 6:48 AM)

Partner j_ung

Mar 1, 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #16 of 17 (935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
j_ung wrote:
traddad wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
blondgecko wrote:

STLtoday.com wrote:

No offense, I hope.

Oh, snap.

It's been some time that my opinion of the death penalty had made an about face.

As I suggested to doc in another thread, please try and keep up. It's less embarrassing that way, instead of trotting out your uninformed assumptions.

Ah, apologies.

Well, then, we're still completely opposite on both issues. Pro choice here, and pro capital punishment. Though in both cases, I'm not across the board in favor of them.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Mar 1, 2012, 3:41 PM
Post #17 of 17 (905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] So, let's weigh in on this... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
j_ung wrote:
traddad wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
blondgecko wrote:

STLtoday.com wrote:

No offense, I hope.

Oh, snap.

Ah, apologies.

Well, then, we're still completely opposite on both issues. Pro choice here, and pro capital punishment. Though in both cases, I'm not across the board in favor of them.

Pro choice, anti capital punishment here. Can we get my antipodal to round out this four some, or is that the other thread?

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)
$103.68 (10% off)
$10.76 (10% off)
$107.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook