Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
homemade training tool. Thoughts?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

 


nick97


Feb 4, 2012, 6:45 PM
Post #1 of 11 (3123 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 12, 2011
Posts: 26

homemade training tool. Thoughts?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have an idea for a training tool and have just been throwing some ideas together. If you guys have any advice or thoughts let me know. So the idea is to take some Bombs pull up balls (you can google them but theyre basically palm sized balls you hang and use for pull ups) that ill be making myself out of maple on my lathe and using them for pull ups. But the catch is Im going to be using a pulley to throw balance into the mix too. Ill take a pulley, hang it from my rafters in my garage, thread rope through it and attach the rope to the balls. It should make the pull ups harder and offset the balance. This way while doing the pull ups youll have to maintain balance between your arms. What do you guys think? Is it safe? Will it be a good training tool?


tscampbell


Feb 5, 2012, 3:24 AM
Post #2 of 11 (3054 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 29, 2009
Posts: 38

Re: [nick97] homemade training tool. Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sounds like you might need two pulleys to keep it apart, but then again i might be completely off base of your idea. a couple knots in the cord also might stop it from going too far either way in case slipping or whatnot.


sungam


Feb 5, 2012, 3:33 AM
Post #3 of 11 (3053 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26618

Re: [tscampbell] homemade training tool. Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

tscampbell wrote:
sounds like you might need two pulleys to keep it apart, but then again i might be completely off base of your idea. a couple knots in the cord also might stop it from going too far either way in case slipping or whatnot.
I'm with TS, two pullies would definitely make it better.

Seems like you could do all ranges of offset pulls and stuff. Seems like a good idea. You might want to add in a feature (however you want to make it) that could fix the position and stop it from shifting, so you can do non-balance training as well.

Hell, while you are at it, why not make the grips changable so you can toss on some better holds and do some ring training for shits and giggles?


johnwesely


Feb 5, 2012, 6:57 AM
Post #4 of 11 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [nick97] homemade training tool. Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

What exactly is the point of this?


shortys


Feb 5, 2012, 7:01 AM
Post #5 of 11 (3016 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 10, 2004
Posts: 72

Re: [sungam] homemade training tool. Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you can spin up the round balls. I think trying to spin a pair of bowls with thick rims would make fantastic pinches. put a hole threw the base to tie them to the rope.
I cant wait to try this. I think Im going to spin them without the baseplate, I'll do it like a spindle and leave the center for more strength and you also could hold the center peg. I think the finished wood would look like a spinning top with a flat top.
Funn project


nick97


Feb 5, 2012, 7:28 AM
Post #6 of 11 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 12, 2011
Posts: 26

Re: [tscampbell] homemade training tool. Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It sounds like two pulleys would definately make it better, but how would I set it up?


nick97


Feb 5, 2012, 7:30 AM
Post #7 of 11 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 12, 2011
Posts: 26

Re: [shortys] homemade training tool. Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tht sounds awesome! If you do make them please upload a picture. The lathe makes a great tool for making holds. Ive got a few big slopers on my home wall made from my lathe.


ceebo


Feb 5, 2012, 8:16 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2988 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 8, 2009
Posts: 862

Re: [nick97] homemade training tool. Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Better to just make a small campus board around 2 foot in height. can train all things you mention.

It can be a free hanging one that comes down from your rafters then fixed in place with chains or w/e. I use something similar that hangs down from my loft hatch (temperary). Its still very good training though.


shockabuku


Feb 5, 2012, 9:09 AM
Post #9 of 11 (2966 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4863

Re: [nick97] homemade training tool. Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nick97 wrote:
I have an idea for a training tool and have just been throwing some ideas together. If you guys have any advice or thoughts let me know. So the idea is to take some Bombs pull up balls (you can google them but theyre basically palm sized balls you hang and use for pull ups) that ill be making myself out of maple on my lathe and using them for pull ups. But the catch is Im going to be using a pulley to throw balance into the mix too. Ill take a pulley, hang it from my rafters in my garage, thread rope through it and attach the rope to the balls. It should make the pull ups harder and offset the balance. This way while doing the pull ups youll have to maintain balance between your arms. What do you guys think? Is it safe? Will it be a good training tool?

A good training tool for doing pullups? Probably. For climbing? I don't see why it would be.


theextremist04


Feb 5, 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 23, 2010
Posts: 189

Re: [johnwesely] homemade training tool. Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
What exactly is the point of this?
I had the same idea as tscampbell and then I had this thought. Doesn't sound like a great tool for climbing.


shortys


Feb 7, 2012, 6:53 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2780 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 10, 2004
Posts: 72

Re: [theextremist04] homemade training tool. Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

theextremist04 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
What exactly is the point of this?
I had the same idea as tscampbell and then I had this thought. Doesn't sound like a great tool for climbing.
Hook line and sinker!
Any time you make something different to cross train IT's good. You guys are amazing. Some one has an idea and some time. Instead of helping You just shovel a big pile of poop. Just because you dont want to try it. Tongueor that you cant make it.
again
I cant wait to try and make this. Its going to be great for your core and grip strength.


Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$8.96 (10% off)
$137.70 (10% off)
$40.46 (10% off)
$11.66 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook