Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
carabiners: factoid
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 


Rmsyll2


Feb 7, 2012, 6:51 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1813 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 6, 2010
Posts: 266

carabiners: factoid
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

A study has shown that the bite force of a 20' Great White Shark is about 18 kN, enough to cut chunks out of a whale and crush bones. The tested breaking strength of a closed carabiner is commonly greater than that.

.


shockabuku


Feb 7, 2012, 7:01 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1806 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4857

Re: [Rmsyll2] carabiners: factoid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

 

.


styndall


Feb 7, 2012, 7:14 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1795 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 29, 2002
Posts: 2741

Re: [Rmsyll2] carabiners: factoid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
A study has shown that the bite force of a 20' Great White Shark is about 18 kN, enough to cut chunks out of a whale and crush bones. The tested breaking strength of a closed carabiner is commonly greater than that.

.

Good to know, man. I've been worried about using mine near sharks, so that's a real load off my mind.


JoeNYC


Feb 7, 2012, 10:33 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1715 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 1, 2011
Posts: 26

Re: [Rmsyll2] carabiners: factoid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I hate the word "factoid," even it's own definition contradicts itself.


(This post was edited by JoeNYC on Feb 7, 2012, 10:34 PM)


patto


Feb 8, 2012, 3:32 AM
Post #5 of 13 (1671 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 14, 2005
Posts: 1451

Re: [JoeNYC] carabiners: factoid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I find the more interesting factoid is that the great white's bite force is only 20x that of a person. In other words a person's bite for is around 1kN! OUCH!


olderic


Feb 8, 2012, 6:47 AM
Post #6 of 13 (1610 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 17, 2003
Posts: 1536

Re: [Rmsyll2] carabiners: factoid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Anaother dumb "factoid" or "data point" or whatever other dumb buzz phrase you care to use - most anchors will NOT actually hold a bus.

It's very important to maximize your accumulation of factoids before you leave the ground. It's all about safety.


ChalkIsCheap


Feb 8, 2012, 9:14 AM
Post #7 of 13 (1545 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 27, 2010
Posts: 89

Re: [olderic] carabiners: factoid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Anaother dumb "factoid" or "data point" or whatever other dumb buzz phrase you care to use - most anchors will NOT actually hold a bus.

It's very important to maximize your accumulation of factoids before you leave the ground. It's all about safety.
Will they hold a short bus?


Gmburns2000


Feb 8, 2012, 10:17 AM
Post #8 of 13 (1510 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2007
Posts: 15113

Re: [ChalkIsCheap] carabiners: factoid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ChalkIsCheap wrote:
olderic wrote:
Anaother dumb "factoid" or "data point" or whatever other dumb buzz phrase you care to use - most anchors will NOT actually hold a bus.

It's very important to maximize your accumulation of factoids before you leave the ground. It's all about safety.
Will they hold a short bus?

They'll hold yours.


qwert


Feb 8, 2012, 10:20 AM
Post #9 of 13 (1508 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 24, 2004
Posts: 2392

Re: [Rmsyll2] carabiners: factoid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I thought trolling and obvious bullshitting isnt allowed outside of scummunity?

Where is the "report for trolling" button?

qwert


dharmanos


Feb 8, 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #10 of 13 (1453 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 18, 2011
Posts: 13

Re: [JoeNYC] carabiners: factoid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The word is defined by the Compact Oxford English Dictionary as "an item of unreliable information that is repeated so often that it becomes accepted as fact.


donwanadi


Feb 8, 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1446 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2011
Posts: 170

Re: [Rmsyll2] carabiners: factoid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lucky for the sharks, deep water soloing doesn't require carabiners. Crazy


bill413


Feb 8, 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [donwanadi] carabiners: factoid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

^^


6pacfershur


Feb 8, 2012, 4:57 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 22, 2010
Posts: 215

Re: [qwert] carabiners: factoid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
I thought trolling and obvious bullshitting isnt allowed outside of scummunity?

Where is the "report for trolling" button?

qwert

you're kidding....obvious BS is a large part of this forum


Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$13.46 (10% off)
$17.06 (10% off)
$17.95 (10% off)
$8.96 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook