RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

ChessRonin

Feb 8, 2012, 4:06 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1803 views)
Shortcut

New Leader looking for Trad Partners!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone!

I'm a relatively new trad leader (only a few trad leads under my belt, but I've followed dozens of pitches cleaning gear), and I'm looking for more trad partners.

I have a small rack right now (4 small-medium cams, full set of nuts, slings, quickdraws, etc), so ideally I'd like to partner up with some people who also have some pro that they can bring so that we could tackle longer stuff.

I am a pretty competent sport leader (I've led almost two dozen outdoor clip-ups in NC, WV, and CA), and I have a solid understanding of gear placement, anchor mechanics, climbing related physics, rope management, etc.

All of that is to make it clear that yes, I'm a newbie, but I do have some experience. That said, I always have a positive attitude and I take advice and constructive criticism very well. I know that I have much to learn and I'm always hungry for advice.

I am located mostly in Durham, and sometimes in Charlotte; I am willing to travel anywhere within 3 hours for a solid day trip, or longer for a multi-day trip. Moore's, Pilot, Linville Gorge, and Stone Mountain, are some of my favorite climbing spots.

My schedule is quite flexible right now, so if you want to take a trad newbie out and up his skills, or if you're a trad newbie yourself and want to tackle some easy climbs with me for practice, then contact me and let's get out!

(This post was edited by ChessRonin on Feb 9, 2012, 3:39 PM)

justroberto

Feb 9, 2012, 7:29 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChessRonin] New Leader looking for Trad Partners! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ChessRonin wrote:
Hey everyone!

I'm a relatively new trad leader (only a few trad leads under my belt, but I've followed dozens of pitches cleaning gear), and I'm looking for more trad partners.

I have a small rack right now (4 small-medium cams, full set of nuts, slings, quickdraws, etc), so ideally I'd like to partner up with some people who also have some pro that they can bring so that we could tackle longer stuff.

I am a pretty competent sport leader (I've led almost two dozen outdoor clip-ups in NC, WV, and CA), and I have a solid understanding of gear placement, anchor mechanics, climbing related physics, rope management, etc.

All of that is to make it clear that yes, I'm a newbie, but I do have some experience. That said, I always have a positive attitude and I take advice and constructive criticism very well. I know that I have much to learn and I'm always hungry for advice.

My schedule is quite flexible right now, so if you want to take a trad newbie out and up his skills, or if you're a trad newbie yourself and want to tackle some easy climbs with me for practice, then contact me and let's get out!

It may help you get partners if you mention where you are located. Also, 20-odd pitches of leading doesn't scream 'competency' to most climbers, but your honesty about your experience and enthusiasm for learning will go a long way towards finding partners.

Have fun - I wish I could be back in that part of the country more often.

ChessRonin

Feb 9, 2012, 1:16 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] New Leader looking for Trad Partners! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for responding justroberto.

I am located mostly in Durham, and sometimes in Charlotte; I am willing to travel anywhere within 3 hours for a solid day trip, or longer for a multi-day trip. I'll edit the original post to reflect that.

Also, you are right that 20 or so different clip-ups does not mean that I am quite competent, but moderate sport routes aren't exactly easy to come by in NC! Haha, but in all seriousness, I only mention my experience because I want potential partners to know that I am not so new that I need babysitting while climbing. I am truly looking for partners, not guides. I know that there are lots of climbers who are happy to guide/babysit new climbers, and also that there are many who don't have the time/energy for such a chore. That said, I know that I have much to learn, which is why I am looking for more experienced partners who can point out better placements (or bad placements), help my transition efficiency, etc.

So, any takers? Weather next weekend should be pretty decent!

GeoffUnderwood

Feb 26, 2012, 2:43 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1657 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey I am looking for partners too after many years without climbing. I can teach you trad. i live in Mooresville (N of Charlotte and can meet you at Moores or other NC places. I am available during the week. Mondays are not as good. You can read my profile.

GeoffUnderwood

Feb 26, 2012, 2:48 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yea, wkends are ok too.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook