Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

 


cacalderon


Feb 9, 2012, 8:16 AM
Post #1 of 15 (3402 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Posts: 150

What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wondering what the best 2-3 areas are for sport climbing up to 5.12 ? and same question for trad up to 5.11?

Chip in some routes if you know them.

Planning on going mid March 2012.

Thank you


(This post was edited by cacalderon on Feb 9, 2012, 9:15 AM)


mojomonkey


Feb 9, 2012, 9:28 AM
Post #2 of 15 (3376 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Posts: 844

Re: [cacalderon] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

cacalderon wrote:
Wondering what the best 2-3 areas are for sport climbing up to 5.12 ? and same question for trad up to 5.11?

Chip in some routes if you know them.

Planning on going mid March 2012.

Thank you

Play with the search function on mountain project. Like this to find trad routes in the 5.9-5.11d range with at least 1 star, sorted by area:
http://mountainproject.com/scripts/Search.php?searchType=routeFinder&selectedIds=%27105731932%27&type=rock&diffMinrock=2300&diffMinboulder=20000&diffMinaid=70000&diffMinice=30000&diffMinmixed=50000&diffMaxrock=5500&diffMaxboulder=21400&diffMaxaid=75260&diffMaxice=38500&diffMaxmixed=60000&stars=1.8&pitches=0&sort1=area&sort2=quality_stars+desc

(I tried to link it, but it ends up shortened with ellipses so you have to copy/paste).

That gives you somewhere to start.


(This post was edited by mojomonkey on Feb 9, 2012, 9:28 AM)


cacalderon


Feb 23, 2012, 4:25 PM
Post #3 of 15 (3239 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Posts: 150

Re: [mojomonkey] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thanks mojo, cool site!


Partner j_ung


Feb 23, 2012, 4:47 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18689

Re: [mojomonkey] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post


You were missing quotes.


healyje


Feb 24, 2012, 3:23 AM
Post #5 of 15 (3186 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 22, 2004
Posts: 4199

Re: [cacalderon] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Head back up in any of the canyons until you are past signs of climbing, then do [trad] FAs. There's still a million of them to be done...


ecade


Feb 24, 2012, 7:18 AM
Post #6 of 15 (3162 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 23, 2011
Posts: 132

Re: [cacalderon] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There are many, Black Corridor is a classic for sport but gets busy during the weekends. There a many other great crags that do not get as busy because they only have harder grades 11s and upwards.

Attached is a listing of routes, I had gone out there over Xmas and before leaving prepared it using the Roxanne big Red guidebook.

The trad routes listed will be well below the grade you are looking for as I am still gaining experience in trad. They will be either easy multipitches with bolt belays or dihedrals cause I love to stem.

I only noted routes with star ratings of 3 (out of 5) or higher.

I didn't get to climb everything on the list so if reality differs from paper, my apologies.

happy and safe climbing
Attachments: Red Rocks climbing list.doc (32.5 KB)


marc801


Feb 24, 2012, 7:47 AM
Post #7 of 15 (3151 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2761

Re: [ecade] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
There are many, Black Corridor is a classic for sport but gets busy during the weekends.
The Black Corridor is easily one of the 10 most unpleasant climbing areas in the states, for a variety of reasons. Crowds, polished holds, spray-lords, and stench from said crowds are but 4. It's an outdoor gym in the worst sense of that term. Gang top roping in groups of 6 with only one leader able to get the rope to the chains is the norm. There are much better sport crags accessible from the same parking area.




ecade


Feb 24, 2012, 8:04 AM
Post #8 of 15 (3139 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 23, 2011
Posts: 132

Re: [marc801] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Agree and Disagree,
some of the movements of the routes have some sweet movements, like the one at the entrance of the corridor, in your pic, there is someone in blue bending over alone at the foot of the root, ah the first 3 clips of her have some great heel hooks and moves that'll make you smile.

But ya crowded and most certainly like you said groups of top ropers with 1 rope gunner.

perhaps its cause we are from different parts of the planet, but to me at least, I didn't find any holds to be polished. come out to Ontario, some of our limestone is so polished you can see your reflection in it!


marc801


Feb 24, 2012, 4:35 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2761

Re: [ecade] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
perhaps its cause we are from different parts of the planet, but to me at least, I didn't find any holds to be polished. come out to Ontario, some of our limestone is so polished you can see your reflection in it!
The popular routes in American Fork Canyon are the same. I tend to climb on granite, gneiss, basalt, rhyolite, quartzite, and sandstone, so yeah, I can understand your comparison to limestone. But the routes in the Black C are polished even in comparison to other immensely popular routes in Red Rocks.


jt512


Feb 25, 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #10 of 15 (3061 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21892

Re: [marc801] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
ecade wrote:
There are many, Black Corridor is a classic for sport but gets busy during the weekends.
The Black Corridor is easily one of the 10 most unpleasant climbing areas in the states, for a variety of reasons. Crowds, polished holds, spray-lords, and stench from said crowds are but 4. It's an outdoor gym in the worst sense of that term. Gang top roping in groups of 6 with only one leader able to get the rope to the chains is the norm. There are much better sport crags accessible from the same parking area.


And all but a couple of the routes suck.

Jay


USnavy


Feb 25, 2012, 12:18 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3014 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2664

Re: [marc801] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
ecade wrote:
There are many, Black Corridor is a classic for sport but gets busy during the weekends.
The Black Corridor is easily one of the 10 most unpleasant climbing areas in the states, for a variety of reasons. Crowds, polished holds, spray-lords, and stench from said crowds are but 4. It's an outdoor gym in the worst sense of that term. Gang top roping in groups of 6 with only one leader able to get the rope to the chains is the norm. There are much better sport crags accessible from the same parking area.

[image]http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr119/crossman04/Red%20Rocks%20May%2009/RedRocksMay09023.jpg[/image]
You just need to know when to go. I have been to the BC a number of times and been the only person in there. As far as polished holds go, ha, its sandstone, if you think those routes are polished try climbing on some of the classic limestone lines in Spain, its like climbing on glass.


marc801


Feb 25, 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2761

Re: [USnavy] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
As far as polished holds go, ha, its sandstone, if you think those routes are polished try climbing on some of the classic limestone lines in Spain, its like climbing on glass.
I wasn't comparing it to Spain or limestone - just other routes in Red Rocks.


mojomonkey


Feb 25, 2012, 8:13 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Posts: 844

Re: [marc801] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
USnavy wrote:
As far as polished holds go, ha, its sandstone, if you think those routes are polished try climbing on some of the classic limestone lines in Spain, its like climbing on glass.
I wasn't comparing it to Spain or limestone - just other routes in Red Rocks.

He's always looking for a post to wedge in references to places he's climbed. Did you hear he's climbed THE NOSE?


moose_droppings


Feb 25, 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2945 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 7, 2005
Posts: 3356

Re: [mojomonkey] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
marc801 wrote:
USnavy wrote:
As far as polished holds go, ha, its sandstone, if you think those routes are polished try climbing on some of the classic limestone lines in Spain, its like climbing on glass.
I wasn't comparing it to Spain or limestone - just other routes in Red Rocks.

He's always looking for a post to wedge in references to places he's climbed. Did you hear he's climbed THE NOSE?

Isn't the Black Corridor in Red Rock?


cacalderon


Feb 26, 2012, 4:52 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Posts: 150

Re: [ecade] What is the best wall/area at Red Rocks for climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thanks! appreciate the input, cheers.


Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook