RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

T_Nix35

Feb 16, 2012, 5:37 AM
Post #1 of 7 (4782 views)
Shortcut

I NEED TECHNIQUE HELP!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey y'all I need help with some technique. I just started climbing and after going up different routes multiple times I realized that there is more to this than just hauling yourself up the side of a wall. So could someone give me some detailed descriptions of different types of technique and how to do certain moves. Also some video or DVD ideas would be awesome!!!!

Traches

Feb 16, 2012, 6:41 AM
Post #2 of 7 (4760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [T_Nix35] I NEED TECHNIQUE HELP!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you just started, the best thing you can do is watch other climbers who know what they are doing, and move like they do.

As far as basic general advice, try and make your climbing controlled, careful, and efficient. Place your feet carefully, don't slap them around. Try to keep your arms straight when you're hanging, rather than bent as it wastes a lot of energy. When using a hand or foothold put some thought into what directions you can push/pull on it and which you can't, and use it accordingly. Learn about step throughs, flagging, and footwork in general; if you can't make a move put your feet somewhere else and try it again.

Keep climbing a few times a week and you'll get it before too long. Self Coached Climber is the go-to climbing technique book, look into it if you want though it's by no means mandatory. (It will help though.)

Aaand that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

(This post was edited by Traches on Feb 16, 2012, 6:42 AM)

lithiummetalman

Feb 16, 2012, 7:12 AM
Post #3 of 7 (4748 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Check out Self Coached Climber

http://www.amazon.com/...cm_cr_pr_product_top

Watch the DVD.

There are no hard rules in climbing technique. Keep an open mind, be creative and strive to be efficient both mentally and physically. Sly

sungam

Feb 16, 2012, 5:34 PM
Post #4 of 7 (4543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lithiummetalman] I NEED TECHNIQUE HELP!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lithiummetalman wrote:
Check out Self Coached Climber

http://www.amazon.com/...cm_cr_pr_product_top

Watch the DVD.

There are no hard rules in climbing technique. Keep an open mind, be creative and strive to be efficient both mentally and physically. Sly
The Self Coached Climber is (I think) the best book for beginners climbers in general to learn about climbing technique.

T_Nix35

Feb 16, 2012, 6:09 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Traches] I NEED TECHNIQUE HELP!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks yall im sure this info will help me out alot!!!!

jae8908

Feb 16, 2012, 6:11 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] I NEED TECHNIQUE HELP!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What the posters said above. Also work on keeping your body position where you are most balanced. It uses less energy when you do a move and you are balanced through the move rather than barn dooring, etc and having to try to hold on in weird crazy positions.

ceebo

Feb 16, 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

T_Nix35 wrote:
Hey y'all I need help with some technique. I just started climbing and after going up different routes multiple times I realized that there is more to this than just hauling yourself up the side of a wall. So could someone give me some detailed descriptions of different types of technique and how to do certain moves. Also some video or DVD ideas would be awesome!!!!

You just set off down the never ending path, good luck!.

Good climbers will rarely do a route right the first time even if they do get to the top. 3 times is a logical number.. since it is 2 times to compare.. once more to do the moves right.

Somebody brand new like you.. may climb the same rout 10-20 times before its done ''perfect''. In other words, don't just limb a route once then assume you can bump up a grade.. you will hit a wall (no pun) get pissed off.. feel weak yada yada. Look at success as the technichal improvements on a individual route, not the physical leaps in letters.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook