RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

noahfor

Feb 16, 2012, 9:57 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2475 views)
Shortcut

holes in my shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have holes in both of my shoes, right on the tip of the toe, but above the sole. So, they aren't anywhere that would normally contact the rock. This is the first time this has happened. This is my fifth pair of shoes, and I'm only getting better and more precise. Did I just get a bad pair of shoes or am I doing something wrong? They are 2 months old. The only thing I can think that would cause the holes is placing my foot on a hold and then standing up on my toes, causing the toe to rub against the rock/wall as I rock up onto my toe. I do not slide my foot down the rock/wall in order to get it onto a hold.

shockabuku

Feb 16, 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noahfor] holes in my shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

noahfor wrote:
I have holes in both of my shoes, right on the tip of the toe, but above the sole. So, they aren't anywhere that would normally contact the rock. This is the first time this has happened. This is my fifth pair of shoes, and I'm only getting better and more precise. Did I just get a bad pair of shoes or am I doing something wrong? They are 2 months old. The only thing I can think that would cause the holes is placing my foot on a hold and then standing up on my toes, causing the toe to rub against the rock/wall as I rock up onto my toe. I do not slide my foot down the rock/wall in order to get it onto a hold.

If the holes aren't somewhere that normally contacts the rock, how did they get there?

They are a sign that you need to be more attentive to what your feet are doing.

Anyway, it sounds like you're probably dragging your toe against the wall when you make upward movement on the other foot. Usually it happens when you're in a position with awkward balance. It happens if you let it, but you shouldn't let it happen.

noahfor

Feb 16, 2012, 11:43 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] holes in my shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well. what I meant by "normally" was: in a circumstance where everything is in accordance with one's intentions. The holes aren't in a place that I would normally intend to touch the rock with.

In this circumstance, I think they probably are normally contacting the rock in that area, but that's not how I meant the word to be taken.

I'm not saying that I've ruled out the toe drag theory, but I think it somewhat unlikely because there weren't any scuff marks or wear marks around the area where the holes first formed. Plus, I'd expect to find them further up towards the straps if it were from dragging my toes. They are right above the sole, right above where I place my toe. That's why I think it's from toeing in and then standing up on my toe.

(This post was edited by noahfor on Feb 16, 2012, 11:44 PM)

jakedatc

Feb 17, 2012, 6:52 AM
Post #4 of 12 (2403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's from dragging. i don't notice myself doing it but know i do.

johnwesely

Feb 17, 2012, 8:23 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hate to say it, but you are dragging your toes. If you have holes above the sole after two months, you must be dragging them quite a bit. You wouldn't have holes there otherwise.

acorneau

Feb 17, 2012, 8:47 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

+1 for dragging your toes... classic symptom.

A thought on why your 2-month old shoes have the holes and not the others: is this new pair designed to be a much more sensitive shoe? It's possible they have a thinner rand and you just blew through it sooner than other thicker-rand shoes. Just a theory without knowing what shoes these are and what others you have had before it.

noahfor

Feb 17, 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] holes in my shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They're the Miura VS. Before these I had the Solution, which got a hole in the sole after 6 months or so, and before that I had the Venoms, which I still have, but don't use because the rubber is really slick.

jakedatc

Feb 17, 2012, 12:47 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

miuras have always had issues with rand holes because they are so pointed. that is the only spot that is going to hit.

venoms in good shape otherwise? size? :) i could use a new-er gym shoe

marc801

Feb 17, 2012, 1:53 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

noahfor wrote:
If you haven't figured it out by now, you're dragging your toes. Putting it another way: your footwork sucks.

noahfor

Feb 17, 2012, 4:44 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] holes in my shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
miuras have always had issues with rand holes because they are so pointed. that is the only spot that is going to hit.

venoms in good shape otherwise? size? :) i could use a new-er gym shoe

I haven't looked at them in a while. They aren't terrible, but I wouldn't call them new-er. They're a 38.

jakedatc

Feb 17, 2012, 5:41 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

too small anyway i think ah well

Rubicon

Mar 23, 2012, 4:46 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] holes in my shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm how much for the venoms?? A dying legend. I even asked the shoe demo rep from Sportiva why they killed them: didn't sell enough apparently, but she told me it was the best slipper they've ever made which is saying a lot from a Sportiva rep.

I agree, other than V10's the venom is the best slipper ive encountered, it just shits all over the cobra and pythons.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook