Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Going it alone (in the gym)?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

 


camrock


Feb 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 19, 2012
Posts: 18

Going it alone (in the gym)?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was first introduced to climbing by a friend when I was stationed in Oklahoma City, OK. Every time I went, I went with him because he had the gear, etc and you needed a partner to do the belay (terminology?)... Is this true in most gyms? I just moved back home to Kentucky and found a gym nearby but their intro class is $35 + harness rental + shoes so it's hard to talk any friends into getting into it because they've never been. But I'm itching to climb! I'm not too hot at bouldering, but maybe that's my only solo choice? Thanks!


bill413


Feb 19, 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2758 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 19, 2004
Posts: 5674

Re: [camrock] Going it alone (in the gym)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

camrock wrote:
I was first introduced to climbing by a friend when I was stationed in Oklahoma City, OK. Every time I went, I went with him because he had the gear, etc and you needed a partner to do the belay (terminology?)... Is this true in most gyms? I just moved back home to Kentucky and found a gym nearby but their intro class is $35 + harness rental + shoes so it's hard to talk any friends into getting into it because they've never been. But I'm itching to climb! I'm not too hot at bouldering, but maybe that's my only solo choice? Thanks!

It's fairly normal. In some gyms the staff will belay you, but may charge for it.
Many gyms have a notice board where people can post up for partners.
You can also walk up to people in the gym and ask them for a belay.

(Pricing for intro/test classes is all over the map, as is their content, so that's harder to comment on.)


camrock


Feb 19, 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2745 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 19, 2012
Posts: 18

Re: [bill413] Going it alone (in the gym)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks for your speedy reply bill. I just don't want to drive an hour, pay my ~$20, and then not be able to climb because noone wants to belay me, I guess that's my greatest "fear" right now... Oh well, guess I'll have to check it out and see! Thanks again.


Kartessa


Feb 19, 2012, 1:26 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2718 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 17, 2008
Posts: 7358

Re: [camrock] Going it alone (in the gym)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Take the intro class, and join someone who is in your lesson. Maybe you'll get along.

Try out the bouldering, you may like it. It's also a good way to meet people.

If all else fails, try online: there are the regional discussions on here, climbfind.com works for some gyms too.


Traches


Feb 19, 2012, 2:56 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2684 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 26, 2012
Posts: 83

Re: [camrock] Going it alone (in the gym)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Where in Kentucky? I'm climbing at Rocksport in Louisville about 3 times a week and iirc their intro class is $35.

If you want to climb regularly, you should take the belay class-- Rob's a bit of a hardass but you'll come away with proper belay technique. He's also got a package deal where you can get a harness, reasonably decent shoes, and a chalk bag for $75ish.

As far as going alone, that kept me out of climbing for a couple years (until my brother moved close by) and in retrospect there was no reason for it. Hang out at the gym and meet people, and almost anybody will be happy to trade catches if you ask.


shockabuku


Feb 19, 2012, 3:44 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2663 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4860

Re: [Traches] Going it alone (in the gym)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
He's also got a package deal where you can get a harness, reasonably decent shoes, and a chalk bag for $75ish.

That's a pretty good deal.


camrock


Feb 20, 2012, 4:15 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2568 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 19, 2012
Posts: 18

Re: [Traches] Going it alone (in the gym)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
Where in Kentucky? I'm climbing at Rocksport in Louisville about 3 times a week and iirc their intro class is $35.

If you want to climb regularly, you should take the belay class-- Rob's a bit of a hardass but you'll come away with proper belay technique. He's also got a package deal where you can get a harness, reasonably decent shoes, and a chalk bag for $75ish.

As far as going alone, that kept me out of climbing for a couple years (until my brother moved close by) and in retrospect there was no reason for it. Hang out at the gym and meet people, and almost anybody will be happy to trade catches if you ask.

Rocksport is the gym I have been looking at. Their prices seem very reasonable, (not to mention I don't have a choice because it's the only one close). I'll be coming from the Ft. Knox area. Maybe I'll run into some of you. Heading up there Sunday, talked a buddy into coming with me for the evening.


Geekstar


Feb 21, 2012, 10:37 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2402 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 30, 2011
Posts: 18

Re: [camrock] Going it alone (in the gym)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Once you go to a gym regularly, you will meet people and make climbing friends and partners...assuming you are being safe, nice, and willing to learn. See if meetup.com has any meetups in your area. There are two different meetup groups that have gym climbing nights which is slightly discounted. Also, go to the mountain project beer nights in your area if they have them.

If you're serious about climbing, gym days will become significantly cheaper once you pick up your own shoes and a harness, so get on it and climb on!


shockabuku


Feb 21, 2012, 11:45 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2385 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4860

Re: [Geekstar] Going it alone (in the gym)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Geekstar wrote:
Once you go to a gym regularly, you will meet people and make climbing friends and partners...assuming you are being safe, nice, and willing to learn. See if meetup.com has any meetups in your area. There are two different meetup groups that have gym climbing nights which is slightly discounted. Also, go to the mountain project beer nights in your area if they have them.

If you're serious about climbing, gym days will become significantly cheaper once you pick up your own shoes and a harness, so get on it and climb on!

Be scrutinous with the partners you find though. Especially in organized groups like Meetup.


Traches


Feb 22, 2012, 3:45 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2355 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 26, 2012
Posts: 83

Re: [shockabuku] Going it alone (in the gym)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Traches wrote:
He's also got a package deal where you can get a harness, reasonably decent shoes, and a chalk bag for $75ish.

That's a pretty good deal.

Actually I might be mistaken on that price, it might be more like $120 or so. It's been awhile since I looked at it.


camrock


Feb 22, 2012, 4:39 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 19, 2012
Posts: 18

Re: [Traches] Going it alone (in the gym)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
Traches wrote:
He's also got a package deal where you can get a harness, reasonably decent shoes, and a chalk bag for $75ish.

That's a pretty good deal.

Actually I might be mistaken on that price, it might be more like $120 or so. It's been awhile since I looked at it.

Black Diamond Momentum HARNESS
La Sportiva Mantis SHOES
Metolius CHALK BAG
Refillable CHALK BALL

$138 - Scratch that, the shop has it at around $145 now.


(This post was edited by camrock on Feb 27, 2012, 7:01 AM)


Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$80.06 (10% off)
$292.46 (10% off)
$19.76 (10% off)
$26.96 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook