RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

Normanras

Feb 21, 2012, 6:47 AM
Post #1 of 6 (514 views)
Shortcut

Eugene in May
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone,

I know it's a little far off but I figured I'd post anyway. In late May to early June I will be in Eugene, Oregon visiting a friend and waiting for my new job to start. Since he'll be pretty busy while I'm there, I'll have a ton of free time. I'm hoping to get some solid days of climbing in! I've heard recommendations about local places (like Skinners Butte columns) as well as taking the time to get out to the sisters or Smith Rock.

Anyway, I don't know anyone in Eugene and my friend isn't a climber, so my connection to the community there is close to nil. I actively climb on the east coast (gunks, new jersey etc) currently. If anyone is around or is looking for a climbing partner (or just willing to show an OR newb to some great crags) I'd love to come along.

PS if there are any adventure treks folks hanging out in Eugene before the summer starts, hit me up!

Thanks,
Norm

anarkhos

Feb 27, 2012, 10:28 AM
Post #2 of 6 (467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Normanras] Eugene in May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know all the climbing in the area, including the good stuff not in the internets.

I was in Oakridge last summer, but I can't guarantee I'll be back this one. I probably will be though, so gimmie a holler when you get there.

PS: Skinner's butte sucks donkey balls. There is a crag in Springfield that's in progress, and the best Oregon climbing (outside the Willowas) is nearer Oakridge.

Normanras

Feb 28, 2012, 6:07 AM
Post #3 of 6 (454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anarkhos] Eugene in May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah when I saw how central to Eugene Skinners Butte was on the map I figured it couldn't be THAT good.... however, local is better than nothing.

Thanks for the info anarkhos and I'll be sure to drop you a line when I arrive. Worse comes to worse I'll try and find my way out to a crag, just camp out and find someone to climb with.

anarkhos

Feb 28, 2012, 7:00 AM
Post #4 of 6 (450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Normanras] Eugene in May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, depending what crag you camp out at, you may be waiting a while (and thats a good thing, trust me)

Edit: Also, you're going to have to learn to climb 10s and up. If I'm there this May I'll rope gun :)

(This post was edited by anarkhos on Feb 28, 2012, 7:01 AM)

armymedic2162

Mar 19, 2012, 3:18 PM
Post #5 of 6 (398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anarkhos] Eugene in May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in pleasant hill and am new to climbing. Where is this crag in springfield, or the places near oakridge? I would love to find somewhere close to the house and not as crowded as skinners.

anarkhos

Mar 19, 2012, 9:49 PM
Post #6 of 6 (387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [armymedic2162] Eugene in May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Problem is you need to be introduced first hand. Neither places is for beginners, either.

There are also two crags north of lookout point reservoir. They're a bit easier to point out, but expect loads of oak.

I'll PM you.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook