Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 


ecade


Feb 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 23, 2011
Posts: 132

These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I love to stem, it is IMHO the funnest climbing move with the exception of maybe its cousin, the hand foot match. My shoes are due for their 3rd resole and I'm thinking, mayhaps I eat beans rice and tuna for the next month and splurge the dough on a new pair of shoes.

What would be the best shoes for stemming??
I've thought about it and thought something flat... good rubber.. perhaps the Mythos...
well can anyone recommend anything?

thanks


Partner j_ung


Feb 22, 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1789 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18689

Re: [ecade] These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
I love to stem, it is IMHO the funnest climbing move with the exception of maybe its cousin, the hand foot match. My shoes are due for their 3rd resole and I'm thinking, mayhaps I eat beans rice and tuna for the next month and splurge the dough on a new pair of shoes.

What would be the best shoes for stemming??
I've thought about it and thought something flat... good rubber.. perhaps the Mythos...
well can anyone recommend anything?

thanks

I'm afraid there isn't any single shoe quality that's good for stemming. Stemming can be steep, slabby, smeary, edgy, or any combination there of. A soft shoe that excels on friction slabs, for example, will have as much trouble edging in a corner as it will on a face, but if the stems call for smearing, they'll work well. Maybe an all-around shoe then?


Partner camhead


Feb 22, 2012, 2:21 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1751 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20794

Re: [j_ung] These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

What Jay said. Asking for a good smearing shoe is like asking for a good "trad" shoe; it's just vague.

That said, most smearing that I have done has tended to fall more on the smearing side of things than edging, and the fact that stemming requires a lot of backsteps, dropknees, etc., usually means that you are using parts of your shoe beyond just the toe. Usually, when I see a stemming corner, I pull out the Moccasyms.


boadman


Feb 22, 2012, 2:37 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1739 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 6, 2003
Posts: 726

Re: [ecade] These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ecade wrote:
I love to stem, it is IMHO the funnest climbing move with the exception of maybe its cousin, the hand foot match. My shoes are due for their 3rd resole and I'm thinking, mayhaps I eat beans rice and tuna for the next month and splurge the dough on a new pair of shoes.

What would be the best shoes for stemming??
I've thought about it and thought something flat... good rubber.. perhaps the Mythos...
well can anyone recommend anything?

thanks

I have really liked the TC Pros for both edging & smearing. I think they would do the job pretty well.


Partner j_ung


Feb 23, 2012, 1:18 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18689

Re: [boadman] These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

boadman wrote:
ecade wrote:
I love to stem, it is IMHO the funnest climbing move with the exception of maybe its cousin, the hand foot match. My shoes are due for their 3rd resole and I'm thinking, mayhaps I eat beans rice and tuna for the next month and splurge the dough on a new pair of shoes.

What would be the best shoes for stemming??
I've thought about it and thought something flat... good rubber.. perhaps the Mythos...
well can anyone recommend anything?

thanks

I have really liked the TC Pros for both edging & smearing. I think they would do the job pretty well.

Well, there you go. TC Pros. ecade, you may already know this, but make sure you try shoes on before buying them.


USnavy


Feb 23, 2012, 1:37 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1618 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 5, 2007
Posts: 2664

Re: [] These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Evolv Defys. The vast majority of the climbing in Hawaii is dihedral climbing, so I am extremely well antiquated with stemming. I use my Defys on just all about our dihedrals, they work great because they have a soft midsole which further enables me to smear in the inside of the dihedrals. I use the Evos on arettes, or really hard dihedrals. The Evos are a big tighter fitting for a given size, and they are a tad stiffer which allows me to stem on really thin crimps if need be.


(This post was edited by USnavy on Feb 23, 2012, 1:38 PM)


csproul


Feb 23, 2012, 1:41 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1612 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Posts: 1768

Re: [USnavy] These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Evolv Defys. The vast majority of the climbing in Hawaii is dihedral climbing, so I am extremely well antiquated with stemming. I use my Defys on just all about our dihedrals, they work great because they have a soft midsole which further enables me to smear in the inside of the dihedrals. I use the Evos on arettes, or really hard dihedrals. The Evos are a big tighter fitting for a given size, and they are a tad stiffer which allows me to stem on really thin crimps if need be.
I'm not sure this word means what you think it means.


shockabuku


Feb 23, 2012, 2:18 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4867

Re: [USnavy] These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Evolv Defys. The vast majority of the climbing in Hawaii is dihedral climbing, so I am extremely well antiquated with stemming. I use my Defys on just all about our dihedrals, they work great because they have a soft midsole which further enables me to smear in the inside of the dihedrals. I use the Evos on arettes, or really hard dihedrals. The Evos are a big tighter fitting for a given size, and they are a tad stiffer which allows me to stem on really thin crimps if need be.

That was pretty entertaining.


caughtinside


Feb 23, 2012, 2:46 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1575 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 30468

Re: [shockabuku] These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Navy delivers. Antiquated! har.

I will disagree with my friend mr. camhat though. While I do love me some moccassyms, and am even mildly antiquated with them, I prefer the little bit of toe drive/power you get out of an edging shoe on a power smear, (as opposed to a friction smear) so I'd think of something like a muira, katana, anasazi, etc. Just so long as it's not mega stiff board lasted like a Newton.


johnwesely


Feb 23, 2012, 3:22 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [caughtinside] These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
Navy delivers. Antiquated! har.

I will disagree with my friend mr. camhat though. While I do love me some moccassyms, and am even mildly antiquated with them, I prefer the little bit of toe drive/power you get out of an edging shoe on a power smear, (as opposed to a friction smear) so I'd think of something like a muira, katana, anasazi, etc. Just so long as it's not mega stiff board lasted like a Newton.

Power Bill 5.11a/c (7 Bolts)

An area classic! Watch out for the power smearing crux after the power liebacking enduro corner. A few stout moves of power crimping guard the chains, so save some power!


caughtinside


Feb 23, 2012, 3:45 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1548 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 30468

Re: [johnwesely] These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Navy delivers. Antiquated! har.

I will disagree with my friend mr. camhat though. While I do love me some moccassyms, and am even mildly antiquated with them, I prefer the little bit of toe drive/power you get out of an edging shoe on a power smear, (as opposed to a friction smear) so I'd think of something like a muira, katana, anasazi, etc. Just so long as it's not mega stiff board lasted like a Newton.

Power Bill 5.11a/c (7 Bolts)

An area classic! Watch out for the power smearing crux after the power liebacking enduro corner. A few stout moves of power crimping guard the chains, so save some power!

Where do I need to save the power? In my toes, fingers or scrotum?


johnwesely


Feb 23, 2012, 3:48 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1546 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [caughtinside] These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Navy delivers. Antiquated! har.

I will disagree with my friend mr. camhat though. While I do love me some moccassyms, and am even mildly antiquated with them, I prefer the little bit of toe drive/power you get out of an edging shoe on a power smear, (as opposed to a friction smear) so I'd think of something like a muira, katana, anasazi, etc. Just so long as it's not mega stiff board lasted like a Newton.

Power Bill 5.11a/c (7 Bolts)

An area classic! Watch out for the power smearing crux after the power liebacking enduro corner. A few stout moves of power crimping guard the chains, so save some power!

Where do I need to save the power? In my toes, fingers or scrotum?

That's what chalk bags are for, but they only work if you clip them to a gear loop.


caughtinside


Feb 23, 2012, 3:56 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1538 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Posts: 30468

Re: [johnwesely] These Shoes Were Made For Stemming...Well Which Ones??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Navy delivers. Antiquated! har.

I will disagree with my friend mr. camhat though. While I do love me some moccassyms, and am even mildly antiquated with them, I prefer the little bit of toe drive/power you get out of an edging shoe on a power smear, (as opposed to a friction smear) so I'd think of something like a muira, katana, anasazi, etc. Just so long as it's not mega stiff board lasted like a Newton.

Power Bill 5.11a/c (7 Bolts)

An area classic! Watch out for the power smearing crux after the power liebacking enduro corner. A few stout moves of power crimping guard the chains, so save some power!

Where do I need to save the power? In my toes, fingers or scrotum?

That's what chalk bags are for, but they only work if you clip them to a gear loop.

I prefer to talc the scrotum, but I guess chalk would do in a pinch.


Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook