RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

zibircut

Feb 23, 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #1 of 7 (3964 views)
Shortcut

Need Help with Bolt sizing for Holds
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all, I am in the midst of building a climbing wall on my roof, in Bangalore, India. Now, this may seem like backcountry, relative to any place in US, when it comes to sourcing some of the material or expertise for me.

My question is related to the bolts and the holds. So, I picked up these holds from a Czech company called Makak. Apparently they sell only holds and not the hardware, or atleast that's what I got.

So, my fabricator got these 10 mm bolts and T-nuts, which feels atleast 2 mm narrower than the hole in the holds. The head of the bolt seems to hold onto the pre-fixed washer in the climbing hold. But I am still concerned that the the hold will shift around in the space around the bolt.

Strength wise, I think the 10 mm bolts are ok, the head looks fine. But they aren't flush in the hold. Am I ok to use the 10 mm bolt, or should I looked for wider diameter, 12 mm that will be flush in the hole. Any expert advise here, please...

p.s. attaching the image of the wall in progress. It is about 220 square feet of climbing space. Heighest point is 14 feet, I am going to have holds upto 12 feet or so. There will be rings bolted into the frame for anchoring if required.
Attachments: Climbing wall Frame 2.jpg (130 KB)

summerprophet

Feb 23, 2012, 3:57 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zibircut] Need Help with Bolt sizing for Holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You are fine. the holds typically have a little room for movement in the hole. This allows for the bolt to screw into the t-nut in the event the nut isn't set perfectly.

The back of the climbing hold has so much surface area, that the bolt itself isn't entirely relied upon to prevent the hold from moving/spinning.

One issue with climbing walls is humidity, and I am guessing that may be an issue in Bangalore. High humidity leads to spinning holds. A number of things you can do in that event. Post on here if its a problem.

gmggg

Feb 23, 2012, 4:11 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

10mm is perfect. That is the standard bolt size for European holds. If you ever order holds from the US they may come supplied with 3/8" bolts sometimes those will work fine in your 10mm Tnuts and sometimes not. It varies from bolt manufacturer to bolt manufacturer. One thing that will work fine no matter what is the hold itself with a 10mm bolt.

I just hope you can keep the Macaques off of it. If not, post up some pics of them having fun when you're done.

Partner cracklover

Feb 23, 2012, 4:48 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Need Help with Bolt sizing for Holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
One issue with climbing walls is humidity, and I am guessing that may be an issue in Bangalore. High humidity leads to spinning holds. A number of things you can do in that event. Post on here if its a problem.

Never mind humidity, how about RAIN! How is this wall going to survive your first monsoon? Unless you make your wall out of fiberglass panels instead of plywood.

GO

zibircut

Feb 23, 2012, 7:00 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Need Help with Bolt sizing for Holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, many, many thanks to all of you for the advise above...

As for the weather resistance,
- I am putting up a canopy on top of the wall.
- The wall itself is made of 19 mm Marine ply, the edges sealed with putty and painted over.

@Summerprophet, yes, I am concerned about the holds spinning. Bangalore doesn't get too much of humidity, since it is in the hinterland, and the weather is pleasant most part of the year. But another friend who has a wall outside, I do see his holds spinning sometimes. I sure could do with some advise there... I was planning to layer with old cycle tube pieces, behind the holds (I have plenty of those tubes, saved up for this reason).

@ GMGG, The area I live in doesn't have a problem with macaques or monkeys. I will also be getting about a dozen of Metolius holds. I am yet to receive those, but they have the hardware included.

gmggg

Feb 23, 2012, 8:45 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zibircut wrote:
Oh, many, many thanks to all of you for the advise above...

As for the weather resistance,
- I am putting up a canopy on top of the wall.
- The wall itself is made of 19 mm Marine ply, the edges sealed with putty and painted over.

@Summerprophet, yes, I am concerned about the holds spinning. Bangalore doesn't get too much of humidity, since it is in the hinterland, and the weather is pleasant most part of the year. But another friend who has a wall outside, I do see his holds spinning sometimes. I sure could do with some advise there... I was planning to layer with old cycle tube pieces, behind the holds (I have plenty of those tubes, saved up for this reason).

@ GMGG, The area I live in doesn't have a problem with macaques or monkeys. I will also be getting about a dozen of Metolius holds. I am yet to receive those, but they have the hardware included.

THose metolius holds will be fine, you can use the 10mm bolts with them.

Holds spinning in humid weather has more to do with the wood expanding and shrinking with the moisture fluctuations and not so much to do with wetness or friction. If you've got well sealed marine grade wood and good paint you shouldn't have too many problems in this regard. If it does happen then odds are not much will fix it and you'll just have to re tighten some holds now and then, not a huge deal or a lot of work.

guangzhou

Feb 24, 2012, 1:21 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some companies ship with bolts, but when I order from places overseas, I ask that they not ship the bolts with the holds. Make shipping much cheaper and customs easier too.

When you order a 100+handholds, the cost of hardware becomes significant.

On your next order of holds, send me a PM. I have some handhold sources closer to you than Europe. (Indonesia, China, and a couple other South East Asia companies)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook