petsfed

Feb 23, 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2005 views)
Shortcut

Tell me about Reno
Report this Post
Can't Post

The city in Nevada, not the guy.

It looks like my girlfriend will be going there for her PhD starting in August, and I'll be following in January. We'll be passing through on our way to Yosemite in May and figured we'd look at apartments while we're at it.

Where can we climb? What are the good bars? Who brews beer there? If I don't get into their physics program, are there sufficient climbing gyms/REIs that I could still find work?

Is the backcountry skiing around Tahoe good enough that it won't take effort to avoid ski areas?

Can I live within walking distance of the university campus without bars on my windows?

I know basically nothing about this city.

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 24, 2012, 3:03 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Tell me about Reno [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

World class climbing all around Lake Tahoe... My fave is around Emeral Bay, on the South end of Lake Tahoe... Small but beautiful, and you can often have the place to yourself.

Partner camhead

Feb 24, 2012, 3:23 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aw, damn, I was all ready with a comment like, "nice guy, wacko political views, doesn't like being proven wrong."

Anyway, Reno's not bad as a big city. It's got the typical Vegas-style trashiness-tackiness, but on a lesser scale. Close to TONS of good climbing; you're closer to Tahoe-area crags than most Californians, you're closer to the Eastside of the Sierra, including Bishop and Tuolomne, than most Californians, and there's a lot of uncharted stuff to explore to the East.

Geographically, it is basically a mirror image of Salt Lake City, with mountains on one side, high basin desert on the other.

I have heard that the job situation is not great there, but if I had a reason to move there, I'd be psyched.

Partner epoch

Feb 24, 2012, 6:50 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
The city in Nevada, not the guy.

It looks like my girlfriend will be going there for her PhD starting in August, and I'll be following in January. We'll be passing through on our way to Yosemite in May and figured we'd look at apartments while we're at it.

(1) Where can we climb? What are the good bars? Who brews beer there? If I don't get into their physics program, are there sufficient climbing gyms/REIs that I could still find work?

(2)Is the backcountry skiing around Tahoe good enough that it won't take effort to avoid ski areas?

(3)Can I live within walking distance of the university campus without bars on my windows?

I know basically nothing about this city.
(1)Climbing: All around the Tahoe Basin. Year round pursuits if you desire it. Truckee is 40 minutes up the hill and home to a dozen or so crags with Donner Pass being the most talked about. You'll be within 2 hours from Lover's Leap and the tons of climbing on the South Shore. There's a sport crag on the Southwest side of town up in the Galena area. Bouldering abound. Winter climbing at Pig Rock, north towards Pyramid Lake. You've got the Sierras at your doorstep Bishop is 4 hours. Yosemite at ~3 to Toloumne. There is a ton of climbing, and a ton of possibilities.

There are three shops in town. REI being one of them. Two gyms. One one off of Oddie Blvd, that serves as an adequate training gym and the newly toted "Tallest Climbing Wall In The World" at Commrow in the heart of downtown. A few of the sports clubs have climbing walls in them as well.

(2)Take your pick at the back country skiing. This season has been pretty poor, though you could still get out and get some turns in. There are several areas that have been established as back country areas and several hidden gems that you can find after searching around. The local ski hills aren't too expensive and with a college ID are really a bargain. Mt Rose is 35 minutes from downtown and has incredible terrain. There are 14 world-class resorts within 2 hours of downtown Reno. All you have to do is look where it was/is snowing, make a decision and you can be on the lifts in under an hour. *Sick* days are aplenty when there is epic snow.

(1 Bars)You won't have problem finding beer/bars to hang out in. There are several good places that are trendy and serve decent brews. When I'm up I tend to bounce around. PM me for some recommendations, though I'll need to know what you're tastes in a bar are. Yelp is a good thing. (3)The college area is safe and is walking accessible. Small town feel pretty much everywhere. Getting a jorb, though, could pose tricky. Reno is one of the hardest hit cities in this recession. I've been looking for work in the area for a few years, but with no luck. Though, your needs, skills, and qualifications may be different from mine. I'm pretty specialized and me getting a job up there would require a massive career change.

I grew up in Reno and have strong family ties to the area. I'm living and working in San Diego now, but still know my way around. I'm up there often.

Jay

petsfed

Feb 24, 2012, 8:41 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Tell me about Reno [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Getting a jorb, though, could pose tricky. Reno is one of the hardest hit cities in this recession. I've been looking for work in the area for a few years, but with no luck. Though, your needs, skills, and qualifications may be different from mine. I'm pretty specialized and me getting a job up there would require a massive career change.

This is the part that really frightens me about the whole thing. If I can't get into the physics program, I might not be able to find a job, and not just a job that I want. We'll see, I suppose.

jt512

Feb 25, 2012, 3:24 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
epoch wrote:
Getting a jorb, though, could pose tricky. Reno is one of the hardest hit cities in this recession. I've been looking for work in the area for a few years, but with no luck. Though, your needs, skills, and qualifications may be different from mine. I'm pretty specialized and me getting a job up there would require a massive career change.

This is the part that really frightens me about the whole thing. If I can't get into the physics program, I might not be able to find a job, and not just a job that I want. We'll see, I suppose.

Getting into the UNR physics dept Ph.D program vs. getting a job in Reno? This sounds like the kind of false dichotomy that, no matter which option you choose, you may regret the choice for the rest of your life.

Jay

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook