Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Re open climbing to Owls Head San Tan Mtns AZ
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ldsclimber

Feb 26, 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #1 of 1 (1274 views)
Shortcut

Re open climbing to Owls Head San Tan Mtns AZ  (North_America: United_States: Arizona)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As Phoenix's oldest Trad climbing shop we would like to ask for your support of Aaron and his quest to re-open one of the valley's classic climbing areas. Take a few minutes and read these emails. Please send an email. It doesn't take long and it goes a long way.

Thanks for your support

Chris Head

AZ Hiking Shack

Hey guys,

My name is Aaron and I've been climbing in AZ since 92. Like you guys climbing is not a hobby I enjoy, rather it's a part of who I am. I learned how to climb on Owls Head in the San Tans. It is an amazing area with solid rock and perfect cracks to learn to jam and protect. It's unlike any other area in the Valley. As I'm sure you know it is now part of the San Tan Regional Park and is off limits to climbing. I spoke with the park supervisor and this is the email he sent me. I'm extremely optimistic about reopening Owls Head and other areas in the valley to climbing. Please disseminate this information and spread the word to encourage local climbers to email David and lets get Owls Head and other closed areas reopened.

Thanks
Aaron Collins
adcldsmarine@gmail.com

From: David Jordan - PARKSX <DavidJordan@mail.maricopa.gov>

Hi Aaron,

I spoke with the Park Superintendent last week about our conversation and the interest from the climbing community to obtain access to climb within San Tan and possibly other County Parks.

If you could have other local climbing members send me an email identifying their wishes, it would be very much appreciated. I would recommend highlighting how often they climb, how long they have been climbing, technical aspects of climbs, Maricopa County Parks they may be interested in seeing climbing locations added to, etc... and anything else they consider to be of value or importance. I would also highly recommend including any destinations they currently enjoy climbing (primarily around the valley or in close proximity to), so it will provide examples of locations for us to check out and give us an opportunity to speak with land managers in those areas for added input.

Once I have collected this information, I can then try to get a meeting coordinated with our management team and representatives from the climbing community. I would like to receive the feedback by March 31.

Happy Trails,

David Jordan

Park Supervisor, San Tan Mountain Regional Park

Maricopa County Parks & Recreation Department

Office: (480) 655-5554 ext. 202

Fax: (480) 655-6026

To: David Jordan - PARKSX
Subject: Access for climbers to Owls Head

David,
It's Aaron Collins. We talked after I got down from climbing Owls Head in your park two weeks ago. Thanks for being willing to talk and again I am sorry that I was not respectful of the Park and the property owners at the base of the mountain. We did receive a trespassing ticket, and we will appear in court on the 10th of March to see what the damages will be. I am regretful that we climbed out there and possibly brought negative attention to a sport that has the same environmental views that the park espouses.

I posted what happened on mountainproject.com. To say the least the other posters were less than supportive of the trespassing. However the climbing community will come together to gain access the right way and with mutual cooperation. Here is a link that you might like and find very useful in developing a climbing management plan.

http://www.accessfund.org/site/c.tmL5KhNWLrH/b.5033997/k.B91C/Climbing_Management_Planning.htm
If you choose to have an open dialog with the climbing community I know of several climbers that would be interested in talking with you.
Aaron Collins

adcldsmarine@gmail.com

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$1.58 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook