Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

altelis

Apr 23, 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #26 of 47 (3914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anarkhos] 3 1/2 yr shoulder injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What happened to the rest of the thread?!?!

EDIT (X2): Cheers Lena!

(This post was edited by altelis on Apr 23, 2011, 10:39 PM)

shotwell

Apr 23, 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #27 of 47 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] 3 1/2 yr shoulder injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I reported posts from enigma, though it seems the baby went out with the bathwater.

To the mod that responded; unfortunately onceahardman responded to enigma's statements. However, his posts had useful information and advice to the OP.

edited due to lena's respone.

(This post was edited by shotwell on Apr 23, 2011, 10:39 PM)

lena_chita

Apr 23, 2011, 10:36 PM
Post #28 of 47 (3901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] 3 1/2 yr shoulder injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Sorry, my bad. I accidently recycled too big a chunk of the thread and can't undo it easily, but someone else can. Useful posts will be restored shortly.

shotwell

Apr 23, 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #29 of 47 (3898 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] 3 1/2 yr shoulder injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks lena. Accidents happen!

onceahardman

Apr 23, 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #31 of 47 (3876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] 3 1/2 yr shoulder injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mea culpa for troll feeding.

I get caught up sometimes. Thanks ahead of time for restoring the useful stuff.

blondgecko

Apr 24, 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #34 of 47 (3846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] 3 1/2 yr shoulder injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

OK, enigma - you're out of Injury Treatment and Prevention for the next two weeks. If you want to continue on your latest bug-bear, take it up in the Soapbox.

rockgirlCO

Apr 24, 2011, 1:50 AM
Post #35 of 47 (3819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the other post that it sounds like you have impingement. Google "impingement shoulder shrug". Your upper trap is probably compensating.

(Me: spent the last year seeking treatment for my shoulder. I'm now 3 weeks post surgery for impingement and frozen shoulder.)

My advice: while you are getting diagnosed and treated, do not stop moving within your comfortable range, i.e. below overhead reaching. Do conscious stretching every day. In other words, do not listen to the person who said put your arm in a sling. Reason: you could start forming adhesions as you consciously or subconsciously try to protect your shoulder. And that would be adding a huge problem on top of your current problem in the form of lessening range of motion, greater pain, and less sleep.

Good luck!

anarkhos

Apr 24, 2011, 6:29 AM
Post #36 of 47 (3782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockgirlCO] 3 1/2 yr shoulder injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockgirlCO wrote:
I agree with the other post that it sounds like you have impingement. Google "impingement shoulder shrug". Your upper trap is probably compensating.

Hm, googling that doesn't show any hits for a "shrug" as a symptom, only as an exercise.

I've tried my best not to overcompensate, like over-using my other shoulder. I haven't used a sling since say a month after the incident. It bothers me mainly if I do something like lift a heavy object over my head a few times. Not all pushing-up motions seem to inflame it, either. Tiger push-ups aren't that bad, for example.

I did rc exercises 2-3 times a week for about 6mo, but slacked off recently because they didn't seem to help. I first used small weights (bottled water) then rubber tubing with handles. Basically 20 reps of four positions—elbow straight out (back against a wall) pulling up then down, then elbow tucked next to ribs pulling left then right.

onceahardman

Apr 24, 2011, 12:14 PM
Post #37 of 47 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If we make the assumption that you performed the RC exercises exactly correctly (and I have no way of knowing, one way or the other),, then we are left with several other possibilities...

A) you did not, at the same time, avoid aggravating activities, like overhead motions, handstand push-ups, etc. This is common, especially in athletes. They will often continue to "test" to see if they can perform motions which aggravate the injury.

B) You have sustained damage to another part of the shoulder joint. Please research "SLAP lesion".

I'd like to point out that just because you were dissatisfied with the care you received, it does not mean western medicine is based on faith and mysticism, as you said in the thread pre-erasure.

anarkhos

Apr 24, 2011, 6:04 PM
Post #38 of 47 (3736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] 3 1/2 yr shoulder injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A) After my post-injury climbing trip, I didn't lift anything except a clipboard for six months (while campaigning). I didn't climb or work out. I would say I did nothing to aggravate my injury, but holding the clipboard did hurt.

B) My symptoms haven't changed in type, only severity. I'm not disagreeing with you, but nothing seems to have changed except I can hold a clipboard without pain.

As for faith and mysticism, it takes a great deal of faith to pay up front for 'treatment' which may or may not work (and may in fact make things worse), and while western medicine may have less mysticism than, say, homeopathy, I don't know what other term so aptly describes both the lack of humility and self-delusion of our modern day sooth sayers who prescribe (dictate) what's best for all of us. Surely a bigger problem in psychiatry than orthopedics, so I'll withdraw my charge of mysticism and try to have a bit more faith.

onceahardman

Apr 25, 2011, 12:18 AM
Post #39 of 47 (3708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anarkhos wrote:
A) After my post-injury climbing trip, I didn't lift anything except a clipboard for six months (while campaigning). I didn't climb or work out. I would say I did nothing to aggravate my injury, but holding the clipboard did hurt.

B) My symptoms haven't changed in type, only severity. I'm not disagreeing with you, but nothing seems to have changed except I can hold a clipboard without pain.

As for faith and mysticism, it takes a great deal of faith to pay up front for 'treatment' which may or may not work (and may in fact make things worse), and while western medicine may have less mysticism than, say, homeopathy, I don't know what other term so aptly describes both the lack of humility and self-delusion of our modern day sooth sayers who prescribe (dictate) what's best for all of us. Surely a bigger problem in psychiatry than orthopedics, so I'll withdraw my charge of mysticism and try to have a bit more faith.

A) So immediately following the first injury, you never tested to see if overhead motions hurt, and also immediately commenced a program of perfect-form rotator cuff exercise, 2-3 times weekly,(not necessarily "low weight") and for six months, never lifted anyting heavier than a clipboard? HONESTLY?

B) I'm not suggesting you suffered a second injury. I am suggesting your first injury may have been more severe than you first realized. Otherwise, you'd have healed by now.

I'll be the first to admit there is both an art and a science to healing. That still doesn't make it mystical. Let's approach this in a systematic way.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Apr 25, 2011, 12:54 AM)

anarkhos

Apr 25, 2011, 2:38 AM
Post #40 of 47 (3674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] 3 1/2 yr shoulder injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A) I didn't perform the exercises until much later. I can see how I was misunderstood: the first six months did not co-inside with the second.

I didn't lift anything heavier than a clipboard for six months after the climbing trip. HONESTLY!

B) I don't doubt the injury was severe. I don't profess to have the slightest clue what the injury could be, or how a typical healing pattern would look like. The doc gave me a cortisone shot and basically brushed aside any concerns I had that it was severe and could possibly need any other form of remedy. All the shot did was make my delt hurt like hell for a few days.

So, yea, I guess I won't be seeing him again Unsure

onceahardman

Apr 25, 2011, 3:43 AM
Post #41 of 47 (3665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about you, but my jeans weigh three times as much as my clipboard. Likewise, a gallon of milk. A load of laundry might be 10x more than a clipboarrd.

So anyway, when did you begin RC strengthening, and exacltly where did you learn how to do it? You sort of described what you did above,but it's hard to picture exactly what you did. Were you taught hands-on, by a professional PT or athletic trainer, with a set-rep scheme, and a mechanism of progression?

rockgirlCO

Apr 25, 2011, 4:13 AM
Post #42 of 47 (3655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry I guess "shrug" wasn't a good google term. It is what the doc will see as a symptom as you raise your arm. Your shoulder will appear to "shrug", i.e. raise up abnormally to compensate for impingement. You probably can see it in a mirror if you have it. Not that knowing you have it helps anything more than give you an idea of a diagnosis.

anarkhos

Feb 29, 2012, 11:59 PM
Post #43 of 47 (3143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockgirlCO] 3 1/2 yr shoulder injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry I should have posted this months ago but the news was kinda depressing.

So the docs did a bunch of tests and said I had a dent in my cartilage and the only thing they could offer was a cortisone shot.

artsylady567

Mar 27, 2012, 2:14 PM
Post #44 of 47 (3067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In 2009, I strained the anterior musculature of my right shoulder while climbing. The strains were deep enough to cause pain and interfere with my desire to climb. For me I have found stretching, active stress management, and massage therapy to be the best method for pain management. This is what worked for me and it may not work for everyone.

GeorgiaNorse

Apr 19, 2012, 3:33 PM
Post #45 of 47 (2956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That sounds kinda like a slipped rotary cuff. Try going to a chiropractor. I have a slipped cuff due to an old injury and I was able to get noticeable help from a good chiropractor. It does take a few weeks of therapy before you notice a difference. But it's well worth it.

Good luck :)

onceahardman

Apr 19, 2012, 9:27 PM
Post #46 of 47 (2928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GeorgiaNorse] 3 1/2 yr shoulder injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GeorgiaNorse wrote:
That sounds kinda like a slipped rotary cuff. Try going to a chiropractor. I have a slipped cuff due to an old injury and I was able to get noticeable help from a good chiropractor. It does take a few weeks of therapy before you notice a difference. But it's well worth it.

Good luck :)

Could you please explain what a "slipped rotary cuff" is?

healyje

Apr 19, 2012, 9:53 PM
Post #47 of 47 (2919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In 1976 we were putting up an overhanging line since uprated to 5.12 that required a significant lunge up, out, and high to the right. My partner was sticking it and I wasn't and tore my left shoulder up by not releasing the left hand hold fast enough when I fell. I finally had to stop climbing altogether for six months for it to heal.

It's still bugged me on and off and I've basically avoided levering anything way out left but otherwise I've learn to live with it and its periodic flare ups. Or at least I did until 2003 when I inadvertently reproduced the original lunge in the gym with predictable results.

The ortho I went to required clear xrays and an MRI to sort it out and where I hoped it would be a matter of 'fixing' something like a rotator cuff, he instead said it was more a matter of mileage and if worse came to worse he could 'clean it out' for me. He also said he's done shoulder replacements on shoulders like mine and other patients with the same shoulder just take an advil and get on with things. I'm in the latter camp until something serious happens as I can still climb hard with it the way it is.

My injury may not be the same, but the ortho guy made clear he wanted both xrays and MRI and wanted them clear so it took a couple of goes at each to satisfy him.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook