RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

go_dyno

Mar 6, 2012, 5:07 AM
Post #1 of 9 (8643 views)
Shortcut

Osprey Variant 52 vs REI Pinnacle 50?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any with experience with these packs? I was going to get the Variant and then someone told me they loved the REI Pinnacle 50. I checked it out and it is very impressive "in the store". The Pinnacle seems to have everything the Variant does, $50 cheaper, seems to carry better when loaded with 40 lbs.

Experienced Opinions?

I want a Cilogear, but have a $200 gift certificate to REI and just need to get this done and it will be a Pinnacle or Variant.

thatguyat99

Mar 6, 2012, 6:02 AM
Post #2 of 9 (8629 views)
Shortcut

Re: [go_dyno] Osprey Variant 52 vs REI Pinnacle 50? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought the Pinnacle 5 months ago. I too was looking at the Variant as well as the Mammut Trion Guide. I loaded each one up and tried them on several times and kept going back to the Pinnacle. It carries a load well. It is also great when climbing...allows good range of motion with arms and head(even with helmet on).
I have used it on overnight hikes and climbing...once loaded it with sleeping bag, pad, food for 2 days, extra fleece, rain gear, rope, harness, helmet, shoes, and medium rack...still had a little room left. I recommend it.

go_dyno

Mar 6, 2012, 6:10 AM
Post #3 of 9 (8623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thatguyat99] Osprey Variant 52 vs REI Pinnacle 50? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks

Anyone have pros/cons on Variant?

dr_feelgood

Mar 7, 2012, 12:17 AM
Post #4 of 9 (8595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Don't waste your money on Cilogear.

go_dyno

Mar 7, 2012, 1:56 AM
Post #5 of 9 (8585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Osprey Variant 52 vs REI Pinnacle 50? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:

I use to live in Livingston. I miss MT and HyaliteUnsure

Why no to Cilogear and what pack do you carry ice climbing?

dr_feelgood

Mar 7, 2012, 5:15 PM
Post #6 of 9 (8565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

go_dyno wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

I use to live in Livingston. I miss MT and HyaliteUnsure

Why no to Cilogear and what pack do you carry ice climbing?
I've got one of the cilogear 45L packs. Don't remember which model precisely. It has several big holes in the stress points from normal use while ice climbing. When I spoke with one of their reps, their advice was to seam grip it, and that they probably would not fix it. We're talking several 4" rips.
Generally, I think cilogear is way over-hyped, and the brand is too into self-promotion to care about a reliable product that isn't niche gear.

jjanowia

Mar 7, 2012, 6:04 PM
Post #7 of 9 (8550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think Osprey Variant > REI Pinnacle for alpine climbing.

50L pack is for, I'm assuming, overnighting. Car-to-car in a day is doable on something more like 30L.

So going on the assumption that the purpose of this pack is overnighting, the question is whether or not you're "carrying over" on the climb.

If you are basically never gonna be carrying over (which is, I think, fairly typical for a moderate alpine climb in the lower 48 that requires an overnight on the approach), then the premium is on strippability. A pack that allows you to remove the backpad / stays, lid, and hipbelt is nice. Stripping down the sack to carry only what you need on the route (food, water, some clothing layers) will be more comfortable while climbing. The Osprey Variants seem fairly strippable based on what I've seen, and I have friends who are happy with them.

If you are mostly doing "in-a-day' trips, then don't bother with 50L, get something in the 30L size where you can dispense with the hipbelt entirely (or if it just comes with some sorta webbing belt that doesn't support weight).

Advice you didn't ask for: If you're serious about alpine climbing, let go of the idea of a single pack that covers all the bases. Get the 50L, use it when you overnight (which probably isn't that common), and get a 30L (e.g. Cold Cold World Valdez), which you'll use the sh*t out of.

go_dyno

Mar 7, 2012, 7:37 PM
Post #8 of 9 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jjanowia] Osprey Variant 52 vs REI Pinnacle 50? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for advice, but I know I need the 50/52 because I am a photographer and filmmaker. I always have to carry more than everyone elseCrazy

I just need to know about "the packs" in question.

jjanowia

Mar 8, 2012, 7:00 PM
Post #9 of 9 (8493 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After a quick perusal of their site, they've updated the Pinnacle since I last checked it out. It too has removable lid / framesheet / hipbelt. In this sense it is extremely similar to the Osprey int erms of functionality. Along with the same style of ice tool attachment, I think it'd come down to preference / fit. I've seen a lot of happy folks with Variants, and a lot of happy folks with the previous generation of Pinnacles. You can't go wrong with either of these; as others have chimed in, refining on this basic design will take you into the realm of specialty packmakers (where you can't use an REI credit).

If you wanna split hairs, the 'zipper pocket' on the outside of the Pinnacle (with a zipper running vertically) is less versatile than the 'stuff-it' stretchy pocket on the Osprey. That Osprey stuffit pocket could gather snow if you had a bunch coming down on you, but I think would be a nice-to-have if you're having to frequently reference a guidebook or something. Also, that Opsrey pocket could maybe house crampons.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook