Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Quickdraws with locking biners enough on bolts for TR?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

bearbreeder

Mar 8, 2012, 3:25 PM
Post #26 of 61 (5182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Reply: [marc801] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
bearbreeder wrote:
redonkulus wrote:

Jesus christ, you people need to learn to feed a bight of rope through the rap rings/quicklinks and tie a figure 8 on a bight, locking biner to belay loop, untie original knot, lower. You're never off belay this way. Plus if the jackasses who only go in direct on one anchor bolt did this, they wouldn't die if that bolt failed while they were completely untied from the rope. Makes my soul hurt to watch that shit.

there was an accident in skaha last year where a girl did exactly that ... the problem is that the climb was exactly the length of the rope with stretch, and with the extra rope she pulled through the rope was too short and ran through the ATC ... she had to me evaced out i believe

besides not all chains or links are wide enough to take a bight of thicker ropes ...
I'm not sure I understand your description of the accident. THe method mentioned above (by redonkulus) requires only a few more feet of rope as compared to untying/threading/retying. So if the climber came off the end of the rope, it should have only been a few feet off of the ground. This was enough for a evac? I guess it is possible if the landing was bad enough. I still think that the method mentioned by redonkulus is generally superior if the rings are big enough to accept a bight of rope. There are exceptions, of course.

i dont know the route she was on ,,, but there are often bad landing around at many crags .... it doesnt take much of a fall to get hurt sometimes ... it also depends how much a person pulls through, ive seen people pull through 10+ feet

in squamish there arent many rings around ... ie you need to thread the chains ... and there are plenty of places without rings, only chains or smallish link sin the rockies

there is a way where you can thread the rope though safely without being taken off belay ... simply clip yr safety to a bolt, pull enough through yr anchor (or to that draw you clipped yr rope at the top to the other bolt if yr not setting an anchor) to fig8 onto a biner clipped to yr belay loop, youll need to secure the rope to you anyways before untying .... then untie and feed it through the chains ... then take off the fig8 and then take apart the anchor ...

this way yr never off belay and always connected both points

IMO it better to do it this way ... as youll definately run into places where you cant feed bights through should you climb enough

(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Mar 8, 2012, 3:37 PM)

donwanadi

Mar 8, 2012, 4:48 PM
Post #27 of 61 (5160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rmsyll2] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
"It seems...too easy."

Easy is the point. Face anchors are for lead routes, and either Trad or Sport would have something for quick-draws as standard equipment. Why you have any, before having what you need for the TR you are doing, you didn't say. If that is all you do have for rigging, you will be only poaching lead routes. Where I climb, that would make you less than popular.

I'm not sure why you think anyone is entitled to any greater rights over a climb as a 'leader' than anyone less experienced. Let me clarify, a TR climber, sport leader, trad leader and aid climber all have equal rights to use outdoor public space.

Hogging routes for half the day is pretty inconsiderate but setting up a TR on chains certainly doesn't take long.

sungam

Mar 8, 2012, 5:15 PM
Post #28 of 61 (5148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donwanadi] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donwanadi wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:
"It seems...too easy."

Easy is the point. Face anchors are for lead routes, and either Trad or Sport would have something for quick-draws as standard equipment. Why you have any, before having what you need for the TR you are doing, you didn't say. If that is all you do have for rigging, you will be only poaching lead routes. Where I climb, that would make you less than popular.

I'm not sure why you think anyone is entitled to any greater rights over a climb as a 'leader' than anyone less experienced. Let me clarify, a TR climber, sport leader, trad leader and aid climber all have equal rights to use outdoor public space.

Hogging routes for half the day is pretty inconsiderate but setting up a TR on chains certainly doesn't take long.
Unless you camp it for hours or if you set up and drop the rope when someone is already getting ready to climb it at the bottom then it's fine.

JimTitt

Mar 8, 2012, 7:13 PM
Post #29 of 61 (5123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Reply: [marc801] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your right about learning both ways, over here in the Frankenjura (and a lot of Germany) you normally can only just get the rope singly through the bolt when there´s a krab in it. Of course you only get one bolt anyway which restricts the rigging options for top-ropers anyway!

williams122

Mar 8, 2012, 7:24 PM
Post #30 of 61 (5114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rmsyll2] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

That's good stuff Rmsyll2, thanks. I especially like the link to the anchor gallery. I'm doing a LOT of reading and talking to climbers before heading out. I'll def have more than just a couple draws which I only would take for a quick TR setup, and only if I'm not in the way. In addition I'll be taking a 15 and 30 foot section of 11mm static line, some 1 inch tubular webbing for slinging tress if need be, some assorted pre-sewn slings for extensions, an extra ATC and a couple 6mm loops for an autoblock and/or fench prussik to back me up if an emergency rap is required (yeah I know I'm just TRing, but what if my partner passes out, is chased by a bear or just up and decides to go home and leave my ass etc...) and of course a bunch of biners, mostly locking. I'll make sure we're not preventing any sport or trad folks from doing their thing - not to mention the best I can climb right now is 5.6-5.7, so I doubt I'll be on any routes experienced climbers are on... I appreciate all the help y'all...

bill413

Mar 8, 2012, 7:55 PM
Post #31 of 61 (5098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [williams122] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

williams122 wrote:
That's good stuff Rmsyll2, thanks. I especially like the link to the anchor gallery. I'm doing a LOT of reading and talking to climbers before heading out. I'll def have more than just a couple draws which I only would take for a quick TR setup, and only if I'm not in the way. In addition I'll be taking a 15 and 30 foot section of 11mm static line, some 1 inch tubular webbing for slinging tress if need be, some assorted pre-sewn slings for extensions, an extra ATC and a couple 6mm loops for an autoblock and/or fench prussik to back me up if an emergency rap is required (yeah I know I'm just TRing, but what if my partner passes out, is chased by a bear or just up and decides to go home and leave my ass etc...) and of course a bunch of biners, mostly locking. I'll make sure we're not preventing any sport or trad folks from doing their thing - not to mention the best I can climb right now is 5.6-5.7, so I doubt I'll be on any routes experienced climbers are on... I appreciate all the help y'all...

I think you have the right idea.

jt512

Mar 8, 2012, 11:39 PM
Post #32 of 61 (5053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

williams122 wrote:
That's good stuff Rmsyll2, thanks. I especially like the link to the anchor gallery.

Just as I predicted.

Jay

TonyB3

Mar 9, 2012, 12:57 AM
Post #33 of 61 (5031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (12 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
williams122 wrote:
That's good stuff Rmsyll2, thanks. I especially like the link to the anchor gallery.

Just as I predicted.

Jay

What a small, petty life you must have to take such pride in a perceived minor victory in a forum post.

Grow up.

jt512

Mar 9, 2012, 1:03 AM
Post #34 of 61 (5028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TonyB3] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

TonyB3 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
williams122 wrote:

Just as I predicted.

Jay

What a small, petty life you must have to take such pride in a perceived minor victory in a forum post.

Grow up.

The return of rock climbing's Tony Bubb, moron on every climbing site he visits.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 9, 2012, 1:10 AM)

shotwell

Mar 9, 2012, 5:21 PM
Post #35 of 61 (4933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TonyB3] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TonyB3 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
williams122 wrote:

Just as I predicted.

Jay

Grow up.

Jay doesn't exactly seem to be going for a victory here. Instead, he's lamenting the fact that no-nothing climbers are spreading their misinformed practices to new members.

The purpose of the beginner's forum is to provide safe, useful knowledge to those members entering our sport. The gallery linked upthread is a death trap. Jay is right to call it out and should be backed by all competent climbers and the moderation staff.

Partner cracklover

Mar 9, 2012, 6:06 PM
Post #36 of 61 (4918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

shotwell wrote:
TonyB3 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
williams122 wrote:

Just as I predicted.

Jay

Grow up.

Jay doesn't exactly seem to be going for a victory here. Instead, he's lamenting the fact that no-nothing climbers are spreading their misinformed practices to new members.

The purpose of the beginner's forum is to provide safe, useful knowledge to those members entering our sport. The gallery linked upthread is a death trap. Jay is right to call it out and should be backed by all competent climbers and the moderation staff.

Seriously. What a bummer when a n00b come here with a decent beginner question, gets a bunch of good answers, and one or two that are off the wall. And which one does he listen to and respond to? The one that's off the wall.

I've got no dog in this fight, but I've been there before. It makes you not want to answer people's questions if you have real knowledge on the subject, because taking the time to be thoughtful when someone's just going to blow you off and pay attention to the idiot really sucks.

GO

shotwell

Mar 9, 2012, 6:21 PM
Post #37 of 61 (4902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
shotwell wrote:
TonyB3 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
williams122 wrote:

Just as I predicted.

Jay

Grow up.

Seriously. What a bummer when a n00b come here with a decent beginner question, gets a bunch of good answers, and one or two that are off the wall. And which one does he listen to and respond to? The one that's off the wall.

I've got no dog in this fight, but I've been there before. It makes you not want to answer people's questions if you have real knowledge on the subject, because taking the time to be thoughtful when someone's just going to blow you off and pay attention to the idiot really sucks.

GO

Truer words never spoken. I initially wanted to call it cyclical for rc.com, but reflection reminds me that this has been the case for a long, long time. Thanks to Jay for being willing to take the heat (again) for calling out incompetence.

As usual, thanks for your measured response Gabe. You're one of the few posters here that has learned the lessons that only experience can teach. I don't always agree with you, but most of our differences come about because I sport climb a lot Laugh.

bearbreeder

Mar 9, 2012, 6:48 PM
Post #38 of 61 (4894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

theres a difference between answering peoples questions and newer people asking questions ... and this particular person who constantly seeks overly complex 2 bolt TR anchors that serve no purpose ...

someone who seeks to really learn should simply use the tried and true basics that is taught by guides or respectable climbing books ... not all this fancy stuff that serves no purpose ...

KISS ... complexity will kill you when yr cold, tired, hungry and in the dark ...

a genuinely new person who tries to learn is very different from some top rope tough guy that tries to show off by sprouting off about how his fancy "safe" anchor setups on 2 bolts ...

marc801

Mar 9, 2012, 8:06 PM
Post #39 of 61 (4863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

williams122 wrote:
As at least 4 others have said, please, you can listen to what this guy says, but remember that most of the experienced climbers here do not consider his recommendations and advice particularly accurate or optimal. He is still very much a beginner with only marginally more experience than other beginners.

shockabuku

Mar 9, 2012, 8:37 PM
Post #40 of 61 (4852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
shotwell wrote:
TonyB3 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
williams122 wrote:

Just as I predicted.

Jay

Grow up.

GO

Yes, it is unfortunate. But new climbers can often identify with and "understand" the concerns of other new climbers better than they identify with and understand experienced climbers and their knowledge.

shotwell

Mar 9, 2012, 9:29 PM
Post #41 of 61 (4828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
cracklover wrote:
shotwell wrote:
TonyB3 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
williams122 wrote:

Just as I predicted.

Jay

Grow up.

GO

Yes, it is unfortunate. But new climbers can often identify with and "understand" the concerns of other new climbers better than they identify with and understand experienced climbers and their knowledge.

The issue, of course, is that most new climbers are identifying with the lowest common denominator. I feel strongly that the moderation is insufficient for the beginner's forum. This opens this forum up to the need for posters like Jay to rip into the people spewing nonsense.

We can't change the noobs. No way to avoid the fact that we're always going to have the very best info ignored in favor of the worst. I only suggest that experienced climbers take the time to call this info what it is.

No two ways about it, the light touch isn't working with some posters. I don't advocate creating an environment that is so caustic that it has to be moderated, as the beginner's forum has been in the past, but I do advocate calling people out for being incompetent.

I also want it to be clear that I'm practically begging the moderation staff to take a firmer hand in this forum and taking heavy handed action against repeat posters of unsafe practices. I understand that this is highly subjective and would have to be at the discretion of the mod staff. I understand that it is onerous. But can you seriously justify creating an environment where only the crap floats to the top? Crap anchors, crap belays, and crap climbers kill people.

Protecting people from themselves is an exercise in futility, but surely we can protect them from the most egregious posters of dangerous information.

JimTitt

Mar 9, 2012, 9:31 PM
Post #42 of 61 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
shotwell wrote:
TonyB3 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
williams122 wrote:

Just as I predicted.

Jay

Grow up.

GO

I agree entirely.

And what happened to the guy with the two belays devices? At least he was entertaining in a twisted sort of way.

olderic

Mar 9, 2012, 9:48 PM
Post #43 of 61 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shotwell wrote:

We can't change the noobs. No way to avoid the fact that we're always going to have the very best info ignored in favor of the worst. I only suggest that experienced climbers take the time to call this info what it is.

The concept is fundamentally flawed. It's nice to have a "Beginner's" area to give the appearance of being a full service site. But what happens is that it gets dominated by the intermediate level climber who thinks he is an expert. For many of them - won't name names but its pretty obvious - being perceived as a big fish (in this little pond) is vitally important - seems to be their whole life in some cases. Most of the advice they give is fundamentally sound but it is usually passed along as the only way of doing things - they perceive things very black and white.

Occasionally you get a true expert responding (although the ones who do are trolling for accolades at least subconsciously) responding. The problem with that is that unless it is some really obscure question - unlikely coming from a beginner (how to set an anchor off of bolts is not an obscure question) - then the expert is still creating the answer from scratch and is unlikely to do as good a job at it as has already been done elsewhere.

The quality response to 99% of the questions posed here would be an indirect one - a reference to some resource that covers the subject in depth (a book). But it won't happen because:
1. The responders want to showcase their knowledge (maintain their big fish status).
2. The asker is likely of the instant gratification type - why did he post his question here instead of doing some research? - and won't go for the work of digging deeper.

marc801

Mar 9, 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #44 of 61 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shotwell wrote:
The issue, of course, is that most new climbers are identifying with the lowest common denominator. I feel strongly that the moderation is insufficient for the beginner's forum. This opens this forum up to the need for posters like Jay to rip into the people spewing nonsense.

No two ways about it, the light touch isn't working with some posters. I don't advocate creating an environment that is so caustic that it has to be moderated, as the beginner's forum has been in the past, but I do advocate calling people out for being incompetent.

When I did exactly that in another thread, I was accused by the n00b in question of leading an internet lynch mob against said n00b, engaging in a personal attack, and being biased against beginners.

shotwell

Mar 9, 2012, 11:40 PM
Post #45 of 61 (4773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
shotwell wrote:

When I did exactly that in another thread, I was accused by the n00b in question of leading an internet lynch mob against said n00b, engaging in a personal attack, and being biased against beginners.

This is exactly when the moderation team would need to step in and moderate!

jt512

Mar 10, 2012, 12:17 AM
Post #46 of 61 (4763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shotwell wrote:
marc801 wrote:
shotwell wrote:

The moderators here tend to side with the n00b. This is the only website I know where it's considered more acceptable to start a new thread asking the same question that's already on the front page twice than it is to suggest to the n00b that he read the other two threads.

Jay

shotwell

Mar 10, 2012, 12:28 AM
Post #47 of 61 (4758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Reply: [williams122] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
shotwell wrote:
marc801 wrote:
shotwell wrote:

The moderators here tend to side with the n00b. This is the only website I know where it's considered more acceptable to start a new thread asking the same question that's already on the front page twice than it is to suggest to the n00b that he read the other two threads.

Jay

I've noticed the same. Pretty bizzarre, honestly.

I'll publicly note that I reported the post earlier in the thread linking to the gallery. No moderation has happened, so it seems to me the moderation team doesn't see this as an issue. I get that the moderation team may not see it as their responsibility to help vett info for accuracy. However, if they choose not to support the voice of experience (who are attempting community moderation techniques) this is incredibly troubling.

williams122

Mar 10, 2012, 4:05 AM
Post #48 of 61 (4730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good lord, y'all - As the OP let me take a few minutes now that I have some time this Friday night and try and explain, and then I'll more than likely just do my thing and not spend too much more time here. Hopefully what I say can be constructive.

So first off, I should point out that I made the original post quickly - I am working most of the time during the day, not trolling the internet for hours on end. I was thinking about climbing during my work day and thought I would just hit rockclimbing.com real quick and throw my question out. I don't have time to sift through all the posts - I scanned them quickly and didn't see the other posts that addressed my question - okay my bad.

Be that as it may, why not just ignore the post? It's not as if you are a captive audience. If it upsets you to read redundant beginner stuff, guess what, you don't have to click on that section! I mean, don't read the beginner's forum if you don't want to read the same simple questions, because honestly we beginners have a lot of the same simple questions, and for an activity with the inherent dangers of climbing, I would think you would understand the need for an new individual to basically ask, "I know you said it once before, but are you sure in MY CASE?"

To put it another way, I am obviously new to climbing, but an expert photographer and I spend a good deal of time on several other photos forums that include what seem to me to be extremely elementary posts about D-76 versus Rodinal, f-stops, the merits of stand development versus standard agitation and so on... (you know, easy stuff) so I know what you mean when you the expert say you get tired of seeing the same questions. Again, I must say that it is actually on YOU to not subject yourself to reading the posts that seem to fill you with such self righteous irritation.

As far as taking the bad advice on anchors, because I am new I really am too ignorant of the inside joke going around (which frankly made me feel fairly humiliated, thanks very much) to understand what is wrong with a collection of anchor pictures. I stand by my comment that it was good to see real clear pictures of what actual people are doing out there at the crag - the good, the bad and the ugly. I simply thanked the dude for the info - I didn't condone the info - I'm not going to run out to the crag and try to set up an anchor based on a picture. I am indeed doing a lot of reading, and will most importantly be taking a certified class in anchor building prior to heading out the first time to the rocks. So no worries there, but as I said the whole experience of feeling laughed at was not fun.

So I guess the knife cuts both ways - I could have saved myself this turmoil by not posting in the first place, or you could have saved yourselves the turmoil by either not replying, or choosing to handle the question respectfully and with the patience that a mentor should have for a student. But it appears this is just another internet forum like many of the photo sites I'm on, where squabbling and the dynamics of the forum (and not the forum's content) seem to drown out the truly helpful people.

Hope that helps to clarify my position, and I know there's some good folks out there climbing - I've met a few of them - so, no offense to any of you. I'm still very much looking forward to continuing to learn to climb and not die in the process, and would just say that if you truly want a beginner's forum here, perhaps it should be locked down so that only a few experienced, patient, perhaps certified people are moderating and answering questions, and to the rest it's read only - just an idea. Have a great night folks - no hard feelings.

marc801

Mar 10, 2012, 4:56 AM
Post #49 of 61 (4723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

williams122 wrote:
Good lord, y'all - As the OP let me take a few minutes now that I have some time this Friday night and try and explain, and then I'll more than likely just do my thing and not spend too much more time here. Hopefully what I say can be constructive.

So first off, I should point out that I made the original post quickly - I am working most of the time during the day, not trolling the internet for hours on end. I was thinking about climbing during my work day and thought I would just hit rockclimbing.com real quick and throw my question out. I don't have time to sift through all the posts - I scanned them quickly and didn't see the other posts that addressed my question - okay my bad.

Be that as it may, why not just ignore the post? It's not as if you are a captive audience. If it upsets you to read redundant beginner stuff, guess what, you don't have to click on that section! I mean, don't read the beginner's forum if you don't want to read the same simple questions, because honestly we beginners have a lot of the same simple questions, and for an activity with the inherent dangers of climbing, I would think you would understand the need for an new individual to basically ask, "I know you said it once before, but are you sure in MY CASE?"

To put it another way, I am obviously new to climbing, but an expert photographer and I spend a good deal of time on several other photos forums that include what seem to me to be extremely elementary posts about D-76 versus Rodinal, f-stops, the merits of stand development versus standard agitation and so on... (you know, easy stuff) so I know what you mean when you the expert say you get tired of seeing the same questions. Again, I must say that it is actually on YOU to not subject yourself to reading the posts that seem to fill you with such self righteous irritation.

As far as taking the bad advice on anchors, because I am new I really am too ignorant of the inside joke going around (which frankly made me feel fairly humiliated, thanks very much) to understand what is wrong with a collection of anchor pictures. I stand by my comment that it was good to see real clear pictures of what actual people are doing out there at the crag - the good, the bad and the ugly. I simply thanked the dude for the info - I didn't condone the info - I'm not going to run out to the crag and try to set up an anchor based on a picture. I am indeed doing a lot of reading, and will most importantly be taking a certified class in anchor building prior to heading out the first time to the rocks. So no worries there, but as I said the whole experience of feeling laughed at was not fun.

So I guess the knife cuts both ways - I could have saved myself this turmoil by not posting in the first place, or you could have saved yourselves the turmoil by either not replying, or choosing to handle the question respectfully and with the patience that a mentor should have for a student. But it appears this is just another internet forum like many of the photo sites I'm on, where squabbling and the dynamics of the forum (and not the forum's content) seem to drown out the truly helpful people.

Hope that helps to clarify my position, and I know there's some good folks out there climbing - I've met a few of them - so, no offense to any of you. I'm still very much looking forward to continuing to learn to climb and not die in the process, and would just say that if you truly want a beginner's forum here, perhaps it should be locked down so that only a few experienced, patient, perhaps certified people are moderating and answering questions, and to the rest it's read only - just an idea. Have a great night folks - no hard feelings.
I don't have time for this right now. Just wanted to preserve it should the poster decide to take it down.

csproul

Mar 10, 2012, 1:17 PM
Post #50 of 61 (4676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

williams122 wrote:

Taking bad advice about an f-stop from a so-called internet expert will not get you killed. Listening to bad advice on this forum can.

williams122 wrote:
As far as taking the bad advice on anchors, because I am new I really am too ignorant of the inside joke going around (which frankly made me feel fairly humiliated, thanks very much) to understand what is wrong with a collection of anchor pictures. I stand by my comment that it was good to see real clear pictures of what actual people are doing out there at the crag - the good, the bad and the ugly. I simply thanked the dude for the info - I didn't condone the info -.

The problem is that you, just like any other new person, most likely can't tell the difference between the good, bad, and ugly. The person who posted those pictures most certainly cannot tell the difference. You actually got your answer right away. Two draws on two bolts are fine and two draws with lockers are more than fine. Yet, you managed to single out and thank the one clueless person who repeatedly posts complete nonsense and not the numerous people who gave you useful advise. This is what frustrates people like Jay. It's not your fault, it is the fault of less than knowledgeable posters who continue to give (bad) advice.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook