Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Anyone do Weight Training?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All


HISTmaj


Mar 2, 2012, 6:28 PM
Post #1 of 58 (7526 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 6, 2012
Posts: 9

Anyone do Weight Training?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone here trains off the rock, with weights or whatnot.... To be honest I used to be a Crossfit Junkie, but being a college student, I cant afford that anymore (on top of a climbing gym membership) plus since im climbing more, the two conflicted and I would go to either totally burnt.

anymore I do pullups, situps, handstand pushups, pushups and pistols...and thats it....

just wondering if you all do anything different/clever...

Not being as active as i used to be (Crossfit) im kinda in a limbo and am getting bummed seeing...er not seeing the definition i used to have....Yes being a Binge drinker quite reqularly doesnt help...but hey...im thinking the two can go together Wink.....looks like i gotta get strict on my diet again...Pirate


redonkulus


Mar 2, 2012, 6:36 PM
Post #2 of 58 (7522 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 2, 2010
Posts: 216

Re: [HISTmaj] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

As a recent history major graduate, I can assure you you're fucked.

Other than that, here's my advice: drink hard liquor instead of beer. Less calories per amount of drunkenness!


fsacb3


Mar 2, 2012, 7:19 PM
Post #3 of 58 (7507 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 19, 2011
Posts: 21

Re: [HISTmaj] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't weight train. I don't care how I look anymore, I just want to be a better climber, and weights don't help. I do pushups and situps once a week just for the hell of it.


malyclypse


Mar 7, 2012, 9:07 AM
Post #4 of 58 (7339 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 7, 2005
Posts: 2

Re: [HISTmaj] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I recommend keeping parts of your Crossfit workout in place and just fine tune it to be climbing specific. Crossfit is great for total-body, non-sport specific strength, but all that generalized muscle can work against your power/weight ratio when climbing.
I like to do breathing ladders with kettlebells (or dumbbells), a few of the compound lifts such as rowing and deadlifts, and lots of bodyweight HIIT workouts. All of these can be looked up online for further information.
I think the important thing is to keep climbing consistently and train off the rock to keep your body balanced and injury-free.


GeckoBat


Mar 7, 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #5 of 58 (7312 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 10, 2011
Posts: 46

Re: [HISTmaj] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I weight train to minimize injuries and shape my body but I'm careful not to "mass up". Climbing, like cycling, is about power to weight ratio.


flesh


Mar 7, 2012, 1:07 PM
Post #6 of 58 (7277 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 11, 2011
Posts: 418

Re: [HISTmaj] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

HISTmaj wrote:
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone here trains off the rock, with weights or whatnot.... To be honest I used to be a Crossfit Junkie, but being a college student, I cant afford that anymore (on top of a climbing gym membership) plus since im climbing more, the two conflicted and I would go to either totally burnt.

anymore I do pullups, situps, handstand pushups, pushups and pistols...and thats it....

just wondering if you all do anything different/clever...

Not being as active as i used to be (Crossfit) im kinda in a limbo and am getting bummed seeing...er not seeing the definition i used to have....Yes being a Binge drinker quite reqularly doesnt help...but hey...im thinking the two can go together Wink.....looks like i gotta get strict on my diet again...Pirate

You can have alot of definition without being bulky and look great by cutting the fat, clearly, it helps it with climbing as well.

Try High point beer 9%, Less calories.

Also, try mixing 0 calorie stevia cola with rum or whiskey.


mleogrande


Mar 7, 2012, 2:48 PM
Post #7 of 58 (7245 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 6, 2009
Posts: 48

Re: [HISTmaj] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I work-out on parallettes, perfect push-ups, and a pull-up bar. My routine consists of strength building exercises that target the core and connective areas.

With parallettes, I like to do pikes/v-sits and transition to a push-up straddle or plank just like a gymnast on rings. I focus on quality. This exercise has easy and hard variations and targets several muscle groups including the core. You can easily build your own parallettes fast and cheap.

With perfect pushups, I like to perform push-up planks. This also targets several muscle groups including the core. There are easy and hard variations for this.

With the pull-up bar, I work front levers and curl-ups with my legs extended as much as possible. Again, there are variations.

My whole routine builds important muscle areas and more importantly targets the core.

I don't gain any weight from my routine. I focus on improving muscle recruitment.

Also, I take yoga class 3-4 times a week for strength and flexibility.


rschap


Mar 7, 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #8 of 58 (7175 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 29, 2005
Posts: 590

Re: [mleogrande] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I weight train with dumb bells but I go for more reps, maxing out at 15-20 reps, so I don't build muscle mass. Mostly I work on balancing out the opposition muscles but I'm also working on pushing through muscle fatigue. I never work legs except going for a hike.


sungam


Mar 8, 2012, 1:02 AM
Post #9 of 58 (7157 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26597

Re: [HISTmaj] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

HISTmaj wrote:
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone here trains off the rock, with weights or whatnot.... To be honest I used to be a Crossfit Junkie, but being a college student, I cant afford that anymore
I'm not going to say whether or not crossfit will help your climbing, but money shouldn't me an issue for crossfit. Blair morrison does most of his training just out and about http://www.youtube.com/user/unonair6
http://crossfitmobile.blogspot.com/...-19T05:28:00%2B01:00

Some of his workouts use bars etc. but quite a few just use sandbags, rope, and other cheap readily available stuff.


billcoe_


Mar 8, 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #10 of 58 (7078 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 30, 2002
Posts: 4668

Re: [HISTmaj] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I do. We have long wet winters and if you don't go to the gym you don't do anything. I do the Stairmaster and weights. It's good stuff.

BTW, if you are in college, don't all colleges have weight rooms and exercise facilities? Plus, get a workout partner to help motivate you.

Good luck!


adelphos


Mar 8, 2012, 4:33 PM
Post #11 of 58 (7035 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 27, 2011
Posts: 56

Re: [HISTmaj] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not sure why you are giving up so quickly on Crossfit. I was able to set up a home gym for a few hundred dollars, and I know I could have done it for less. I know more than a few combat gyms are out there and you can't tell me that you have it harder than a soldier in a combat zone.

Training is all about discipline and consistency.


noahfor


Mar 8, 2012, 9:22 PM
Post #12 of 58 (6981 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 15, 2006
Posts: 61

Re: [rschap] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

You won't build muscle mass if you aren't eating to build muscle mass.

Has anyone here actually gotten strong, in a general weight training sense, before coming to the conclusion that weight training isn't helpful for climbers? Anyone here military press their bodyweight? Anyone deadlift three times their bodyweight?

It is possible to get extremely strong without adding much mass at all.

Look at this guy deadlifting 500 at a bodyweight of 123:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPkFUTa0R9M

It's hard for me to believe that a person who can manipulate 500 pounds, hold it in his hands, wouldn't have an easier time manipulating his own slight bodyweight than a person who is only capable of deadlifting 135 pounds.

Take note of how little bulk there is on him. That's from years and years of weight training with heavy weights.

That is weight training. Going to the gym and following some Men's Health routine, or some outdated bodybuilder routine meant for someone at the top levels of competitive bodybuilding who's on all kinds of drugs, for a couple of weeks is not weight training.


(This post was edited by noahfor on Mar 8, 2012, 9:42 PM)


sungam


Mar 8, 2012, 9:56 PM
Post #13 of 58 (6962 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26597

Re: [noahfor] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think the standard response to your point is that if dudebro spent all that time training for climbing instead of training for deadlifting he would be an excellent climber (instead of an excellent deadlifter).


noahfor


Mar 8, 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #14 of 58 (6950 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 15, 2006
Posts: 61

Re: [sungam] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The problem I see with that response is that "all that time" isn't really that much time at all. Rippetoe's Starting Strength is a pretty good general strength training program for the novice trainee and it takes about 1 hour, three days a week. Pavel's Power to the People is another good one and takes 20 minutes, five times a week. That little time isn't really cutting into climbing time all that much, if at all.

The video I posted was just to show that being strong doesn't necessitate being massive. I'm not saying a person needs to deadlift 4x bodyweight before it benefits climbing.

Athletes in other sports that require a high degree of skill still manage to train with weights.


(This post was edited by noahfor on Mar 8, 2012, 11:00 PM)


Greggle


Mar 8, 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #15 of 58 (6936 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 26, 2010
Posts: 226

Re: [noahfor] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

noahfor wrote:
The problem I see with that response is that "all that time" isn't really that much time at all. Rippetoe's Starting Strength is a pretty good general strength training program for the novice trainee and it takes about 1 hour, three days a week. Pavel's Power to the People is another good one and takes 20 minutes, five times a week. That little time isn't really cutting into climbing time all that much, if at all.

The video I posted was just to show that being strong doesn't necessitate being massive. I'm not saying a person needs to deadlift 4x bodyweight before it benefits climbing.

Athletes in other sports that require a high degree of skill still manage to train with weights.

Man, I used to love that dude 10+ years ago. Granted, I could never do any of his exercises. Whatever.

He used to have this fancy sit-up apparatus...


sungam


Mar 8, 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #16 of 58 (6936 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26597

Re: [noahfor] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Personally I find it is very important to train outside of climbing, mostly for injury prevention though.
I think people could definitely benefit from training out more outside of climbing so long as it isn't cutting into their climbing training.


noahfor


Mar 8, 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #17 of 58 (6933 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 15, 2006
Posts: 61

Re: [Greggle] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Greggle wrote:
Man, I used to love that dude 10+ years ago. Granted, I could never do any of his exercises. Whatever.

He used to have this fancy sit-up apparatus...

The ab pavelizer. I haven't tried it myself.


Greggle


Mar 8, 2012, 11:28 PM
Post #18 of 58 (6930 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 26, 2010
Posts: 226

Re: [sungam] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Personally I find it is very important to train outside of climbing, mostly for injury prevention though.
I think people could definitely benefit from training out more outside of climbing so long as it isn't cutting into their climbing training.

Yeah, now that I work [at a climbing gym], I've no time to train outside of climbing. Worse yet, even though I work at a climbing gym, I've less time to climb! Yes, I admit. I totally fell for the pitch: "Brah, one of the perks of working at a bitchin' 28' climbing gym is that you can, like, sooooo totally climb when it's not busy... brah!"

Lies. Odious lies. It's my own fault.


Greggle


Mar 8, 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #19 of 58 (6926 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 26, 2010
Posts: 226

Re: [noahfor] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

noahfor wrote:
Greggle wrote:
Man, I used to love that dude 10+ years ago. Granted, I could never do any of his exercises. Whatever.

He used to have this fancy sit-up apparatus...

The ab pavelizer. I haven't tried it myself.

That's it! Again, I couldn't use it. <insert frowny emoticon thingy>


aerili


Mar 8, 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #20 of 58 (6916 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 12, 2006
Posts: 1166

Re: [rschap] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
I weight train with dumb bells but I go for more reps, maxing out at 15-20 reps, so I don't build muscle mass.
This is kind of funny to me (maybe not to you), but you are actually falling right into the range of hypertrophy training, aka mass-building.

You might try lifting much heavier and with much lower reps (less than 10)


aerili


Mar 8, 2012, 11:50 PM
Post #21 of 58 (6914 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 12, 2006
Posts: 1166

Re: [sungam] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

noahfor wrote:
Athletes in other sports that require a high degree of skill still manage to train with weights.

sungam wrote:
Personally I find it is very important to train outside of climbing, mostly for injury prevention though.

I just don't see the incompatibility.


granite_grrl


Mar 9, 2012, 6:58 AM
Post #22 of 58 (6870 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14800

Re: [aerili] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
rschap wrote:
I weight train with dumb bells but I go for more reps, maxing out at 15-20 reps, so I don't build muscle mass.
This is kind of funny to me (maybe not to you), but you are actually falling right into the range of hypertrophy training, aka mass-building.

You might try lifting much heavier and with much lower reps (less than 10)

This is interesting to me because I thought that the hyertrophy range was more in the 7-12 rep range from everything I've. I've currently been doing a mix of high weight/low reps (like 5-6 reps) and lower weight/high reps (12+ reps) and generally avoid this middle range.

What kind of reps should I be looking at? (not that I'm the sort of person to bulk up regardless, but I would like to do the most effective training in terms of strength/endurance gains).


sungam


Mar 9, 2012, 7:27 AM
Post #23 of 58 (6862 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26597

Re: [aerili] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
noahfor wrote:
Athletes in other sports that require a high degree of skill still manage to train with weights.

sungam wrote:
Personally I find it is very important to train outside of climbing, mostly for injury prevention though.

I just don't see the incompatibility.
Nor do I ^.^


saint_john


Mar 9, 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #24 of 58 (6820 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2010
Posts: 494

Re: [sungam] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Let me drop some science: If you're lifting weights but not consuming enough protein/calories to support muscle growth you are wasting your time.

Furthermore, you can not build muscle with adding body fat, no matter what the commercials tell you.

In conclusion: If, as many climbers are, you're overly concerned about your body fat levels then don't lift.

Bodybuilding.com has everything you'd ever want to know about weight training.


(This post was edited by saint_john on Mar 9, 2012, 10:25 AM)


csproul


Mar 9, 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #25 of 58 (6810 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 4, 2004
Posts: 1768

Re: [saint_john] Anyone do Weight Training? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
Let me drop some science: If you're lifting weights but not consuming enough protein/calories to support muscle growth you are wasting your time.

Furthermore, you can not build muscle with adding body fat, no matter what the commercials tell you.

In conclusion: If, as many climbers are, you're overly concerned about your body fat levels then don't lift.

Bodybuilding.com has everything you'd ever want to know about weight training.
Not saying you're right or wrong...I have no idea..but if this is completely true, then why do bodybuilders have some of the lowest body fat % I have ever seen? I worked for a short time in a physiology lab that tested (we did fat % with a tank and did a lot of VO2 testing) athletes from several sports, including some elite level cyclists and runners. We tested a few bodybuilders and they had the lowest %'s of any of them.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.16 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$10.76 (10% off)
$156.56 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook