Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Safe to travel to el potrero chico by road from U.S?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rangerdan

Mar 9, 2012, 6:47 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1724 views)
Shortcut

Safe to travel to el potrero chico by road from U.S?  (North_America: Mexico: Nuevo_Le_n)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've heard lots of scary stories about travel from the U.S. border recently. Travel advisory for Nuevo Leon and Monterrey in particular. Does anyone have any updates, news, advice, etc...?

potreroed

Mar 9, 2012, 8:51 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerdan] Safe to travel to el potrero chico by road from U.S? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've driven back and forth to Laredo and McAllen several times in the past two years without incident. Plenty of other climbers have also arrived here safely. If you travel be day and stay on the toll roads you should be OK.

uric

Jun 23, 2013, 3:14 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerdan] Safe to travel to el potrero chico by road from U.S? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing in Mexico is safe. You shouldn´t be scared. The problem is just between Narcos, civilians are apart from that. Potrero Chico and evrywhere in the country is safe to climb. The only thik is that you shouyld be maybe carefull if you drive at night in some places but apart from that we climb all around the country with no problem at all. TV and news scare too much really
The new guyidebooks of Mexico
http://www.rockclimbing-mexico.com

(This post was edited by uric on Jun 23, 2013, 3:16 PM)

skelldify

Jun 24, 2013, 11:52 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uric] Safe to travel to el potrero chico by road from U.S? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're going somewhere and someone tells you "not to drive at night", and "stay on these roads," does that tell you anything about how safe it is?

I love the Potrero, and I would never want to hurt their tourism. This is just more of a "food for thought"-type question.

(This post was edited by skelldify on Jun 24, 2013, 11:54 AM)

uric

Jun 24, 2013, 4:06 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skelldify] Safe to travel to el potrero chico by road from U.S? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well. when I say dont drive at night its an advice but it doesnt mean some terrible thing will happen to you.its just an advice, like if you go to Guatemala or Colombia or any othe rcountry with some conflicts. I travell all around Mexico for climbing at any time and I feel dsafe. Everyone has hi ssafety boundery. I travel with my wife and daughter to Potero and clim there no proble. There are many other excellent areas as well, is not jhust all about Potrero. in fact I prefer many other places than Pottero.

uric

Jun 24, 2013, 4:09 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uric] Safe to travel to el potrero chico by road from U.S? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Potero is nice for face climbing but if you like overhangs there ar emany other places in Mexico hips better with spectacular lines. Grt the books and you will see.je

sonso45

Jun 26, 2013, 11:28 AM
Post #7 of 8 (970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skelldify] Safe to travel to el potrero chico by road from U.S? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skelldify wrote:
If you're going somewhere and someone tells you "not to drive at night", and "stay on these roads," does that tell you anything about how safe it is?

I love the Potrero, and I would never want to hurt their tourism. This is just more of a "food for thought"-type question.

Since I first drove to Mexico City from El Paso in 1978 I was given the same advice...

chris

Jun 26, 2013, 9:43 PM
Post #8 of 8 (897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skelldify wrote:

That's valid advice anywhere along the border, and arguably throughout Mexico and the rest of Latin America. Its not just the threat of crime - "unmarked obstacles" aren't uncommon, and driving an unlit road at any speed is an invitation for a life-changing car accident. So staying on the toll roads and driving during daylight hours as much as possible is prudent advice.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook