RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

EntropyFletch

Mar 15, 2012, 4:04 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1126 views)
Shortcut

Finger tip filing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I often see high-level boulderers filing the tips of their fingers with emory boards in videos. What is the reasoning behind this? Is it to keep the thickness of the callouses that develop on your finger tips down so they don't tear off? Is it to increase friction?

I've been climbing for about 10 months now and am starting to get pretty thick callouses on my fingers and am wondering if this will help keep my tips in good shape.

shotwell

Mar 15, 2012, 4:29 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EntropyFletch] Finger tip filing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

EntropyFletch wrote:
I often see high-level boulderers filing the tips of their fingers with emory boards in videos. What is the reasoning behind this? Is it to keep the thickness of the callouses that develop on your finger tips down so they don't tear off? Is it to increase friction?

I've been climbing for about 10 months now and am starting to get pretty thick callouses on my fingers and am wondering if this will help keep my tips in good shape.

Mainly it is to keep the tough skin at a consistent thickness. Holds on a lot of hard problems are sharp, tearing into your skin as you climb. If you file off these edges they won't tear all the way.

If you're having cracking issues, consistent filing can help prevent this.

deschamps1000

Mar 15, 2012, 9:59 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EntropyFletch] Finger tip filing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You want to avoid big caluses. The big caluses will rip off and make it painful to climb. Basically sand down caluses to a reasonable size.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$40.46 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook