RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

sawtooth500

Mar 17, 2012, 1:45 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2124 views)
Shortcut

Need Gear Suggestions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hello All,

I am a new climber and looking for some advice on gear. You could say my interests at this time are geared more towards mountaineering rather than rock climbing. I am currently scheduled for lessons, however I would prefer to do the lessons using my own gear so that I am more familiar with it. Specifically, I am looking to gain mastery for the following activities:

1. Rappelling, including rappelling at a high rate of speed, including rappelling down overhanging cliffs and down building sides

2. Climbing back up the rope using A) an ascender and B) prusiks

3. Roping up while doing urban exploration (for those of you who don't know, this is exploring abandoned industrial complexes, which frequently have many hard to access areas)

4. Roping up for glacial travel, including crevasse rescue and self-rescue.

Right now I just got a harness and a belay tool. I would like to buy top of the line gear. I am considering the following:

1. Petzl grigri - this seems just like a good all-around handy thing to have

2. Petzl stop - I'm looking for a good descender that I can use for rapid rapeling, however I've read numerous reports of the petzl stop failing and I am concerned about that. I am also looking at the petzl professional descenders, the RIG, ID'S and ID'L however not sure how good they are compared to the stop, or what the exact difference between them is. I'd really like to hear your suggestions in this area.

3. Petzl Ascension Ascender - heard good things about this.

Here are my concerns about gear:

1. I want stuff that will work well on wet, icy, and dirty ropes

2. For the descending and ascending gear, I want to be able to descend and ascend both on a single rope and as well as two ropes (like a single rope wrapped around a tree at the top, a top rope situation where I self-belay). I don't know much about these situations and would like gear that is compatible.

So, suggestions & comments?

acorneau

Mar 17, 2012, 5:45 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sawtooth500] Need Gear Suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sawtooth500 wrote:
Hello All,

I am a new climber and looking for some advice on gear. You could say my interests at this time are geared more towards mountaineering rather than rock climbing. I am currently scheduled for lessons, however I would prefer to do the lessons using my own gear so that I am more familiar with it. Specifically, I am looking to gain mastery for the following activities:

1. Rappelling, including rappelling at a high rate of speed, including rappelling down overhanging cliffs and down building sides

3. Roping up while doing urban exploration (for those of you who don't know, this is exploring abandoned industrial complexes, which frequently have many hard to access areas)

Right now I just got a harness and a belay tool. I would like to buy top of the line gear. I am considering the following:

2. Petzl stop - I'm looking for a good descender that I can use for rapid rapeling, however I've read numerous reports of the petzl stop failing and I am concerned about that. I am also looking at the petzl professional descenders, the RIG, ID'S and ID'L however not sure how good they are compared to the stop, or what the exact difference between them is. I'd really like to hear your suggestions in this area.

2. For the descending and ascending gear, I want to be able to descend and ascend both on a single rope and as well as two ropes (like a single rope wrapped around a tree at the top, a top rope situation where I self-belay). I don't know much about these situations and would like gear that is compatible.

(This should be good... where's the popcorn?)

sbaclimber

Mar 17, 2012, 7:03 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Need Gear Suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

+1, it certainly has potential...

Lazlo

Mar 17, 2012, 9:46 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sawtooth500 wrote:

My first thought when you said this was that you were going to be exploring around on foot while roped together. Pretty awesome image.

moose_droppings

Mar 17, 2012, 10:01 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sawtooth500 wrote:
Hello All,

I am a new climber and looking for some advice on gear. You could say my interests at this time are geared more towards mountaineering rather than rock climbing.

Except for #4, it would seem your interests are far from mountaineering and geared more toward sport rapping and playing on fixed lines.

Lazlo

Mar 17, 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sawtooth500 wrote:
Hello All,

Sawtooth,

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not a troll. http://www.urbandictionary.com/...erm=internet%20troll

The best advice I can give you is to calm down a little with the gung-ho stuff. Take it easy and learn the basics. You just might want to wait to buy anything until after you take that course you mentioned. Testing gear before a purchase isn't a bad thing. You'll learn what you like and don't like before you dedicate yourself to a purchase.

Be careful with your urban exploration. Industrial settings are much more dangerous than your local crag. There is a reason that Petzl has a 'professional' line and a 'sport' line of products. The two fields are very different in their hazards. For instance; rope access always involves two ropes for the sake of how many sharp edges abound in an industrial setting. ....Not to mention trespassing.

When a climber breaks the law; it shows poorly on the whole sport. Please use discretion.

The longer you're involved in climbing, your distaste for rappelling will increase. The reason is that it is the number 1 cause of accidents in the sport. Go ahead and rappel for fun... just do it safely and don't scare the s*** out of every other climber at the crag. I promise that not a single one of them will think you're a 'bad ass' when they see your military-style bounds down the rock face.

For ascending; just get some loops of cord for prussics. Ascending with prussics is a necessary skill in this sport.

I assume you have a tube-style belay device. If that is what you have, it will work fine for all you want to do right now.

Side note; a gri-gri is a specialized tool. Other gear is more versatile and useful for the stage of the game you are in.

donwanadi

Mar 17, 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sawtooth500 wrote:
Hello All,

Find your local caving grotto and take a vertical training with them.

herites

Mar 17, 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Need Gear Suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You could use a grigri and a tibloc instead of prusiks. It's mandatory to learn how to use them, but let's face it, the last thing anyone wants is to ascend a rope with only two prusiks, especially a dynamic one. Been there, done that, it sucked, now I carry a tibloc.

Partner blazesod

Mar 17, 2012, 5:22 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herites] Need Gear Suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IMO -
a pair of aiders & ascenders = faster ascent
Tie on a "3rd hand" - i.e.) autoblock on rappel
use a caver's rack for optimal friction on wet ropes

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook