Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

crjanow

Mar 17, 2012, 1:50 AM
Post #1 of 41 (11765 views)
Shortcut

new climbing harness for my wife
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

could anyone recommend a ladies harness to replace my wifes aging beginner bd primrose. she will be following me on trad climbs and all the ladies harnesses at our local shops are sport harnesses so it will be hard to try one on. she wants it to have girly looks and not look like a mans harness. i am just looking for what anyone has and their opinions of it.

(This post was edited by crjanow on Mar 17, 2012, 4:27 PM)

Partner blazesod

Mar 17, 2012, 9:52 PM
Post #2 of 41 (11738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crjanow] new climbing harness for my wife [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Misty Mountain Cadillac
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...le/Cadillac_593.html

crjanow

Mar 18, 2012, 1:38 AM
Post #3 of 41 (11728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blazesod] new climbing harness for my wife [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks i have a misty mountain cadilac myself. i never even noticed that they had women specific harnesses before.

clee03m

Mar 19, 2012, 3:24 AM
Post #4 of 41 (11703 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had to contact misty mountain to get mine because women's wasn't readily available. They were very helpful. Women's isn't all that pretty. Instead of orange the stitching is lilac. But as comfortable as they are, who's complaining, eh?

ObiKate

Mar 19, 2012, 4:08 AM
Post #5 of 41 (11698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got this: http://www.rei.com/...mbing-harness-womens from my boyfriend for Christmas. It's my first harness, but it's comfortable, easy to adjust, I highly recommend it! Good luck!

granite_grrl

Mar 19, 2012, 4:35 PM
Post #6 of 41 (11681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crjanow wrote:
could anyone recommend a ladies harness to replace my wifes aging beginner bd primrose. she will be following me on trad climbs and all the ladies harnesses at our local shops are sport harnesses so it will be hard to try one on. she wants it to have girly looks and not look like a mans harness. i am just looking for what anyone has and their opinions of it.

I'm not sure what makes a harness a "beginner" harness, if your wife liked the it then there was nothing wrong with it.

Now that being said, I'm not sure if they're making quite the same model. Logic would say you'd find out what she liked/didn't like about her current harness and let us know so we could offer some meaningful suggestions.....but considering you've only given us one criterion I'd say go for the pink one:

http://www.backcountry.com/...elena-harness-womens

http://www.backcountry.com/...djust-harness-womens

clumsy

Mar 19, 2012, 5:30 PM
Post #7 of 41 (11670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a singing rock harness, not women specific though. Love it!
Found it more comfortable than many womens. It looks similar to NARA
http://www.singingrock.com/...53&nLanguageID=2

crjanow

Mar 19, 2012, 11:05 PM
Post #8 of 41 (11652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] new climbing harness for my wife [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
crjanow wrote:

I'm not sure what makes a harness a "beginner" harness, if your wife liked the it then there was nothing wrong with it.

Now that being said, I'm not sure if they're making quite the same model. Logic would say you'd find out what she liked/didn't like about her current harness and let us know so we could offer some meaningful suggestions.....but considering you've only given us one criterion I'd say go for the pink one:

what i meant was the primrose like the mens momentum are the harnesses alot of beginners buy because of the kit they offer with them and the fact there a generic and inexpensive harness. just looking for a comfortable well padded harness that works well with hanging belays and has more than the little gear loops that are on the primrose and sport harnesses. not looking just for pretty colors but she doesnt want a butch looking harness.

crjanow

Mar 19, 2012, 11:12 PM
Post #9 of 41 (11651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clumsy] new climbing harness for my wife [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clumsy wrote:
I have a singing rock harness, not women specific though. Love it!
Found it more comfortable than many womens. It looks similar to NARA
http://www.singingrock.com/...53&nLanguageID=2
thanks this is the kind of responce i was hoping for. i was wanting to hear from women that had the harness they were recomending so they could say what they liked and didnt like.

granite_grrl

Mar 20, 2012, 12:52 AM
Post #10 of 41 (11640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crjanow wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
crjanow wrote:

what i meant was the primrose like the mens momentum are the harnesses alot of beginners buy because of the kit they offer with them and the fact there a generic and inexpensive harness. just looking for a comfortable well padded harness that works well with hanging belays and has more than the little gear loops that are on the primrose and sport harnesses. not looking just for pretty colors but she doesnt want a butch looking harness.
I'm not overly impressed with a lot of the harnesses on the market these days. In all honesty the Petzl one I linked to is very popular, as is actually the one I usually wear these days. I find it uncomfortable to hang in for a long time at 140-145lbs, but I've had light people tell me they love it (I'm talking the women's and the equivalent men's).

As for gear loops, I have no idea what harness to suggest to you. I have an old Arc'teryx Isis that I save for gear climbing because I haven't found anything on the market that compares. Frankly, I've been looking at the lower end harnesses more lately liking the looks of their gear loops more.

My husband just got a new BD harness and the gear loops are ridiculous. The Petzl are also pretty small, but serviceable I guess. The Misty Mountain ones are really quite good and I think very comfortable too (though I think the Cadillac is overkill for most situations).

Sorry, I wish I had more suggestions, but there just aren't that many harnesses on the market these days that looks very good to me.

crjanow

Mar 20, 2012, 1:49 AM
Post #11 of 41 (11631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] new climbing harness for my wife [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
crjanow wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
crjanow wrote:

I'm not overly impressed with a lot of the harnesses on the market these days. In all honesty the Petzl one I linked to is very popular, as is actually the one I usually wear these days. I find it uncomfortable to hang in for a long time at 140-145lbs, but I've had light people tell me they love it (I'm talking the women's and the equivalent men's).

As for gear loops, I have no idea what harness to suggest to you. I have an old Arc'teryx Isis that I save for gear climbing because I haven't found anything on the market that compares. Frankly, I've been looking at the lower end harnesses more lately liking the looks of their gear loops more.

My husband just got a new BD harness and the gear loops are ridiculous. The Petzl are also pretty small, but serviceable I guess. The Misty Mountain ones are really quite good and I think very comfortable too (though I think the Cadillac is overkill for most situations).

Sorry, I wish I had more suggestions, but there just aren't that many harnesses on the market these days that looks very good to me.
thanks,i had looked before at the petzl you linked i just wasnt sure about long time comfort of it. she weighs about what you do so i may just get her a misty mountain cadillac also. i really like mine.

lena_chita

Mar 20, 2012, 3:11 PM
Post #12 of 41 (11617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sounds like you got what you were looking for.

But man, threads like these make me cringe. Out of curiosity, do you handle all of your wife's shopping for her? You choose her pants for her, too? Or does she not wear pants, for the fear that they would make her look too butch?

clee03m

Mar 20, 2012, 5:51 PM
Post #13 of 41 (11596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] new climbing harness for my wife [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ouch!

Sometimes we spouses of non-climbers seek more comfortable shoes, harness, tent, sleeping mats, sleeping bags, you name it, in hopes that we can get our so to go climbing more often. May be this is the case and not some sick sexist thing?

The butch part is a little weird, but this isn't the first thread asking for cute gear...

lena_chita

Mar 20, 2012, 6:55 PM
Post #14 of 41 (11590 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] new climbing harness for my wife [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
Ouch!

Sometimes we spouses of non-climbers seek more comfortable shoes, harness, tent, sleeping mats, sleeping bags, you name it, in hopes that we can get our so to go climbing more often. May be this is the case and not some sick sexist thing?

The butch part is a little weird, but this isn't the first thread asking for cute gear...

Who knows.

I cringed for multiple reasons

-- one was the whole "butch" tangent.

-- the other one is my general dislike of people who are picking a functional piece of gear based on color, instead of function. Don't see anything wrong with pretty colors, but putting a cart before the horse is stupid.

-- third is the whole dragging out a passive individual who doesn't want anything to do with climbing. Not my business if the wife is nice enough to go along with an activity that she doesn't much care for, in order to please the guy, or spend more time with him, or whatever. Good for her, in fact, if she is so nice and willing to go along. And obviously, every relationship has some reciprocal give an take in terms of going along with things you don't want to do, for the sake of the partner you care for. But when I see couples like that out climbing, I rarely see the dragged-along individual of either gender have much fun.

This is a lot to read into a simple request for harnesses in pretty colors, I know.

The 2nd and 3rd points might not have been cringe-worthy on their own, but all three together... brrr!

crjanow

Mar 20, 2012, 6:59 PM
Post #15 of 41 (11586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Sounds like you got what you were looking for.

But man, threads like these make me cringe. Out of curiosity, do you handle all of your wife's shopping for her? You choose her pants for her, too? Or does she not wear pants, for the fear that they would make her look too butch?
no i dont do all her shopping for her but as i said there is not much to look at locally so she wanted me to try and figure out a good harness for her. its that simple, and theres nothing wrong with the fact that she still likes girly looking things.

crjanow

Mar 20, 2012, 7:06 PM
Post #16 of 41 (11585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
clee03m wrote:
Ouch!

Who knows.

I cringed for multiple reasons

-- one was the whole "butch" tangent.

-- the other one is my general dislike of people who are picking a functional piece of gear based on color, instead of function. Don't see anything wrong with pretty colors, but putting a cart before the horse is stupid.

-- third is the whole dragging out a passive individual who doesn't want anything to do with climbing. Not my business if the wife is nice enough to go along with an activity that she doesn't much care for, in order to please the guy, or spend more time with him, or whatever. Good for her, in fact, if she is so nice and willing to go along. And obviously, every relationship has some reciprocal give an take in terms of going along with things you don't want to do, for the sake of the partner you care for. But when I see couples like that out climbing, I rarely see the dragged-along individual of either gender have much fun.

This is a lot to read into a simple request for harnesses in pretty colors, I know.

The 2nd and 3rd points might not have been cringe-worthy on their own, but all three together... brrr!
actually my wife loves to climb and i dont have to drag her along. sorry if you didnt like the "butch"term all i meant was she didnt want a harness that looked like it was for a man. good thing your not a psychiatrist since you see so many wrong conclusions from a simple question.

crjanow

Mar 20, 2012, 7:33 PM
Post #17 of 41 (11579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i want to thank everyone that had a helpful comment but apparently this was a sexiest question. i thought the way i originally ask it wasnt but i guess i was wrong. please dont bother with any more answers because i will not bother to look at this thread anymore.Unsure

roguecrimson

Mar 20, 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #18 of 41 (11563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crjanow wrote:
i want to thank everyone that had a helpful comment but apparently this was a sexiest question. i thought the way i originally ask it wasnt but i guess i was wrong. please dont bother with any more answers because i will not bother to look at this thread anymore.Unsure

hit a sensitive g spot? Angelic

erisspirit

Mar 20, 2012, 11:13 PM
Post #19 of 41 (11558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Misty Mountain Finesse right now and find it very comfortable. That model has pretty standard gear loops, but I have used it for trad.

erisspirit

Mar 20, 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #20 of 41 (11552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crjanow wrote:

oops

guess I should have read the whole thread before answering

Gmburns2000

Mar 21, 2012, 1:10 AM
Post #21 of 41 (11538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crjanow wrote:

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see anything wrong with your question or your responses. Maybe the butch word was a bit rough around the edges, but really, I don't see anything wrong at all.

Good luck finding her a harness she likes.

clumsy

Mar 21, 2012, 1:31 AM
Post #22 of 41 (11532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

Wow, Lena! I think you are reading too much into this. I'd be happy if my DH did shopping for me (as long as I liked what he got)Angelic.

lena_chita

Mar 23, 2012, 3:17 PM
Post #23 of 41 (11452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

All of you guys who don't see anything worth cringing about these types of thread, please tell me, have you EVER seen a thread, posted by a woman climber, about her climber husband/boyfriend:

In reply to:
could anyone recommend a mans harness to replace my husband's aging beginner bd momentum. he will be following me on trad climbs and all the guys harnesses at our local shops are sport harnesses so it will be hard to try one on. he wants it to have manly looks and not look like a girls harness. i am just looking for what anyone has and their opinions of it.

not looking just for manly colors/camo, etc., but he doesnt want a gay looking harness

Anyone ever seen a post like that? I can tell you that in 7 years that I have been reading these forums regularly, I have NEVER seen one.

What I HAVE seen are various posts from a nonclimber female, something along the lines of " my brother/son/husband recently started climbing, he loves it, and I want to get something climbing-related for him fr Christmas. Maybe a harness? What should I get?"

And you know what is usually the answer to this sort of question? It is, universally, something like this: ASK HIM. He knows better what he wants/needs, don't just get gear that looks good to you, it needs to fit right, so get him a gift card.

So, no imbalance? No sexism?

Really, she "loves" climbing... She just can't be bothered to pick her own replacement harness, after she already has one "aging" harness, so presumably she's been at it for several years, and she still has no preferences of her own, other than pretty colors and not looking butch? Anyone seen a real woman climber like that? Seriously?

granite_grrl

Mar 23, 2012, 3:40 PM
Post #24 of 41 (11448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

clumsy wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Wow, Lena! I think you are reading too much into this. I'd be happy if my DH did shopping for me (as long as I liked what he got)Angelic.

To be honest I wouldn't be very impressed if my hubby tried to do this kind of shopping for me.

granite_grrl

Mar 23, 2012, 3:56 PM
Post #25 of 41 (11445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Really, she "loves" climbing... She just can't be bothered to pick her own replacement harness, after she already has one "aging" harness, so presumably she's been at it for several years, and she still has no preferences of her own, other than pretty colors and not looking butch? Anyone seen a real woman climber like that? Seriously?

The problem is, Lena, what you an I consider 'real' climbers is a world above what a lot of people on this forum consider real climbers.

I totally hear what you're saying, and I've seen too many guys dragging their gf/wife. The guys think that they're molding their SO into 'climbers' when all they're really training them for is a belay bitch. It's sad because the women is generally not enjoying themselves as much as the man thinks that they are. They can't see the fact that the woman is just coming out to try to get in a bit of time with their boyfriends/husbands.

Now chances are it's the same ol' story with the OP and he should consider spending the same amount of time participating in her hobbies as she's participating in his. But it's also possible that she actually does enjoy climbing in which case it would see he needs to stop taking charge all the time and give her a chance to deveop as a climber herself.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook