Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
My friend fell on his butt onto my gear. Is it ok?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

TurekBoy

Mar 19, 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #1 of 13 (6478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey I have a question: This weekend I broke out my new quick draws and let my friend use them when we went lead climbing for the first time. We went climbing and all was good, but when he was cleaning the climb, and rappelled off, but his belayer forgot to tell him that one side of his rope wasn't all the way down (probably a lack of communication due to wind noise) and he fell around 10 feet off of his rappel onto his butt, which had some of my quick draws on it! There is a few light scuffs where you can see he landed on them, but are they safe to use?! I've always heard that if gear is dropped over 6-7 feet it could develop micro fractures and should be retired, but I was reading and found some people that said that carabiners can't even develop micro fractures--they had a few studies to back them up.
So is my gear okay to use? He had maybe three of them on his butt where he landed? Is there any place I can send my draws to to get them checked for microfractures or are microfractures just a myth?

(This post was edited by TurekBoy on Mar 19, 2012, 10:17 PM)

billcoe_

Mar 19, 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #2 of 13 (6460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TurekBoy] My friend fell on his butt onto my gear. Is it ok? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

TurekBoy wrote:
Hey I have a question: This weekend I broke out my new quick draws and let my friend use them when we went lead climbing for the first time. We went climbing and all was good, but when he was cleaning the climb, and rappelled off, but his belayer forgot to tell him that one side of his rope wasn't all the way down (probably a lack of communication due to wind noise) and he fell around 10 feet off of his rappel onto his butt, which had some of my quick draws on it! There is a few light scuffs where you can see he landed on them, but are they safe to use?! I've always heard that if gear is dropped over 6-7 feet it could develop micro fractures and should be retired, but I was reading and found some people that said that carabiners can't even develop micro fractures--they had a few studies to back them up.
So is my gear okay to use? He had maybe three of them on his butt where he landed? Is there any place I can send my draws to to get them checked for microfractures or are microfractures just a myth?

They say if you drop them off El Cap, they'll be fine. I heard Black Diamond tested some in fact. So based on that rumor alone I wouldn't use them until I could get them dropped off the Captain.....then they'll be set to rights.

At least I think that's what they say. I go out with these old guys with beat to shit aged gear, and they don't give a rats ass that the stuff is trashed.

Could be they're tossing it off El Cap though.........

Partner cracklover

Mar 19, 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #3 of 13 (6447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

T0-

edge

Mar 19, 2012, 11:00 PM
Post #4 of 13 (6435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TurekBoy wrote:
We went climbing and all was good, but when he was cleaning the climb, and rappelled off, but his belayer forgot to tell him that one side of his rope wasn't all the way down (probably a lack of communicaYtion due to wind noise) and he fell around 10 feet off of his rappel onto his butt, which had some of my quick draws on it!

The gear is fine, but it sounds like the belayer may be suffering from microfractures.

TurekBoy

Mar 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #5 of 13 (6428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] My friend fell on his butt onto my gear. Is it ok? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, what does T0- mean?

6pacfershur

Mar 20, 2012, 12:19 AM
Post #6 of 13 (6367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

see what kind of friend you are TB, all worried about your gear and no concern for your buddy's ass....

curt

Mar 20, 2012, 12:54 AM
Post #7 of 13 (6343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

TurekBoy wrote:

It means you'll need to try harder.

Curt

marc801

Mar 20, 2012, 5:23 AM
Post #8 of 13 (6238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Traches

Mar 20, 2012, 9:58 AM
Post #9 of 13 (6178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stop climbing, get someone who knows what they are doing to teach you before you get someone seriously hurt.

Edit-- I'm not insulting you, don't take it personally. When it comes to climbing, stupid mistakes hurt real bad-- if you're asking those kinds of questions and rappelling off the end of your rope you're bound to make a lot of them.

(This post was edited by Traches on Mar 20, 2012, 10:03 AM)

meanandugly

Mar 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #10 of 13 (6169 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should PM me and I'll give you my adress. Then send me all the related gear including gear that was on site, but not involved in the incedent. I will check it all and if its good I will send it back to you. If its bad we shal never communicate again.

USnavy

Mar 20, 2012, 1:00 PM
Post #11 of 13 (6142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] My friend fell on his butt onto my gear. Is it ok? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
TurekBoy wrote:

They say if you drop them off El Cap, they'll be fine. I heard Black Diamond tested some in fact. So based on that rumor alone I wouldn't use them until I could get them dropped off the Captain.....then they'll be set to rights.

At least I think that's what they say. I go out with these old guys with beat to shit aged gear, and they don't give a rats ass that the stuff is trashed.

Could be they're tossing it off El Cap though.........
My friend dropped one of my draws 400 feet onto solid slab. I found the draw and pull tested the components, all of the components failed above its respective rating. Black Diamond's official stance seems to be, "If it looks okay and works okay, it is okay."

(This post was edited by USnavy on Mar 20, 2012, 1:01 PM)

bill413

Mar 20, 2012, 1:15 PM
Post #12 of 13 (6131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

TurekBoy wrote:

You could just ask him how his butt is.

Partner cracklover

Mar 20, 2012, 3:01 PM
Post #13 of 13 (6054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] My friend fell on his butt onto my gear. Is it ok? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
TurekBoy wrote:

It means you'll need to try harder.

Curt

Who rated Curt's post two stars? He answered the question accurately and succinctly.

GO

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook