RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

photocodo

Mar 20, 2012, 3:01 AM
Post #1 of 14 (8218 views)
Shortcut

wild country friends. Yes or No
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I am just starting to build my trad rack and obviously cams are the biggest financial concern. I was wondering if it would be safe to purchase some old WC friends. I see them on ebay occasionally and they look like there in pretty good shape. I would like to pick up a few just to have some cams that I can start learning proper placement with, and once I start buying newer cams I can use the Friends as redundants. Is there any reason old Friends that are in good shape would not be safe?

Thanks
Cody

moose_droppings

Mar 20, 2012, 3:56 AM
Post #2 of 14 (8197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [photocodo] wild country friends. Yes or No [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

photocodo wrote:
So I am just starting to build my trad rack and obviously cams are the biggest financial concern. I was wondering if it would be safe to purchase some old WC friends. I see them on ebay occasionally and they look like there in pretty good shape. I would like to pick up a few just to have some cams that I can start learning proper placement with, and once I start buying newer cams I can use the Friends as redundants. Is there any reason old Friends that are in good shape would not be safe?

Thanks
Cody

Well, if they're what I'd call "good shape", then I'd say, yes they're safe.

There are plenty of reasons that they might not be safe, and that would be something you yourself would have to weigh and no one else could say for sure without a hands on inspection.

I myself would chance it. I'd also replace the slings and inspect them completely upon receiving them.

Are you looking at getting Forged Friends or the Flex Friends? Do you have any experience with any cams? Just asking. If possible handle a bunch of different brands, ask some locals what they like and why. For the price difference of cams on Ebay, I wouldn't limit your choice to just Friends.

bill413

Mar 20, 2012, 1:10 PM
Post #3 of 14 (8133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] wild country friends. Yes or No [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If your climbing area has a lot of horizontal cracks, then forged friends are not the best choice. Otherwise, they're worth a look. Ditto on replacing the slings (and look up "Gunks tie-off").

herites

Mar 20, 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #4 of 14 (8041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy a new set of hexes for the fraction of the price, climb easy routes with them (and your set of nuts) until you can afford BD C4s or DMM Dragon Cams. You'll also know what sizes you need. You could (and should) use your mentor's gear too. Buying a bunch of shinies and going out climbing trad withouth anyone to critique your placements could end badly.

crjanow

Mar 20, 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #5 of 14 (8015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

photocodo wrote:

Thanks
Cody
its tempting to buy used gear because of the price. but i dont think the money saved is worth risking your life for, some people do. you have to ask yourself if its worth it, are you going to be thinking about them when your run out. if so its not worth the money saved and i wouldnt waste the money if i didnt trust them to hold a fall because you will catch yourself eventually using them.

bearbreeder

Mar 21, 2012, 7:00 AM
Post #6 of 14 (7983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if the price is good ... and they look like they are in good condition ... go for it

pay no more than ~20-25$ per cam IMO ... preferably less

inspect the slings and replace as needed ...

scottek67

Mar 21, 2012, 9:01 AM
Post #7 of 14 (7974 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by scottek67 [In reply to]
Report this Post

bearbreeder

Mar 21, 2012, 7:20 PM
Post #8 of 14 (7919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottek67] wild country friends. Yes or No [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

id be fine using 8mm cord on those ... just resling em yrself and save some money ...

once you start adding up the price of a professional resling and the cam itself ...

you arent that far away from new RE cams ... which work just as well as those older cams ....

photocodo

Mar 22, 2012, 2:13 AM
Post #9 of 14 (7881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Thanks guys for all the advice. I guess I will probably end up picking up a set of nuts and maybe a set of hexs and learning to place with those. When I am not able to climb with an experienced trad climber I think I will just carry my rack with me and place pieces between bolts to keep getting practice with my placements. I guess its all about practice and spending time with experienced trad climbers.

Thanks

bearbreeder

Mar 22, 2012, 6:33 AM
Post #10 of 14 (7840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

buy nuts, no hexes ... spend the money to pay for gas for someone to show you what to do ...

or spend the money to hire a guide ...

dont worry about the gear ... worry about know how to use it ...

photocodo

Mar 23, 2012, 12:40 AM
Post #11 of 14 (7766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about tricams? Would it be good to get some, it seems that since they can be used as active and passive pro I could start learning how to place some active gear. Just a thought.

bearbreeder

Mar 23, 2012, 5:43 AM
Post #12 of 14 (7720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i own and use tricams quite a bit ... that said buy nuts and cams first, after plying some old geezer with beer to show you the basic of course

while all passive days are fun ... youll tend to use cams and nuts the most, where i climb anyways ...

chadnsc

Mar 23, 2012, 2:12 PM
Post #13 of 14 (7670 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] wild country friends. Yes or No [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
buy nuts, no hexes ... spend the money to pay for gas for someone to show you what to do ...

or spend the money to hire a guide ...

dont worry about the gear ... worry about know how to use it ...

Take the advice about not buying hex's with a grain of salt. Depending on the area you climb in hex's can be very useful and a lot cheaper than cams.

Ask your local climbing community if hex's are worth it for where you'll be climing. At the same time you can find someone to show you how to use the gear you're buying.

bill413

Mar 23, 2012, 3:45 PM
Post #14 of 14 (7643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] wild country friends. Yes or No [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What chadnsc wrote about hexes applies to Tricams also. People who climb at the Gunks tend to love them. People in many other areas hate them. They can be great pro, working where nothing else will, but they also can be finicky to set. They are very good for horizontal cracks.
(For the record, I like them.)

(This post was edited by bill413 on Mar 23, 2012, 3:46 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook